Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
ER is a big change, and the fear you feel is quite common. You are prepared financially, and it sounds like you won't be bored in retirement, so just dive into your new life, and the fear will pass.
+1. I retired at age 54, some 6 years ago now. After working for 31+ years, it was a big change, of course. But, it was a change I had looked forward to for years, and prepared for, as it sounds like you have done also. Relax, I think you will be just fine, and your fears will quickly fade away, as mine did. Enjoy your new life, you will find that it is every bit as good as you thought it could be. Freedom to control what you do with your time is a wonderful thing

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I am close to giving my notice and go over the numbers in my head many nights before I go to sleep. I told a friend that and he said he has the same dreams since he is preparing to retire also. I think it must be pretty universal.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup.... change is hard.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I left 2.5 years ago from a j*b I didn't dislike. It took me a while to adjust, when I did it's awesome.

These last months I'm almost resenting the last few years I spent there. That will fade as we are having the time of our lives.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I remember those same feelings 6 months ago when I FIRE'd. Reading many of the posts here really helped me move to the next phase of my life. Everything has turned out much better than I thought, especially since all that stress is gone from my mind and my body. Went back to the office for a friends retirement party, everyone commenting how I look 10 years younger. I realized I feel at least 10 years younger - "just do it!" Congrats!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Deleted
Old 12-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks everyone for the pep talk and great ideas!

I thought a lot last night about what I'm worried about and I think I figured it out. I have a high school education, no college, yet I have a job that 'requires' a master's degree in English.

I worked HARD to get where I am. If I find myself having to go back into the workforce I don't know that I'd be able to even get an interview much less replace my job with a comparable one.

BUT I'm not planning to go back to work so I'm just going to have to let it go... otherwise I'll never retire!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #28

Good for you, Lisa! Kudos to you for all of the hard work you did to get where you are in your career. Now it's time to put those talents to work to make your retirement great!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
I am close to giving my notice and go over the numbers in my head many nights before I go to sleep. I told a friend that and he said he has the same dreams since he is preparing to retire also. I think it must be pretty universal.
I still have dreams that I am in college, approaching finals week, and realize there is a class that I forgot to attend. And I can't find my schedule that shows where the class meets.

That and finding myself in public sans clothes.

The thought that I use to calm my brain regarding retirement numbers goes like this: We are well prepared based on the information that we know. We have a plan for health care, pension, income in retirement, social security, draw down of investments, and so forth.

We cannot predict the future, but based on the past, our plan looks sound.

If something outside the historical past happens, we will still be in better shape than X % of the population in our age bracket. (Where X = a number somewhere between 95 and 99). For me, that is good enough.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #30

Not quite Early

My wife passed away in 2005, and I figured I should still work to keep me sane.
Unfortunately, my boss of 10 years retired, and the new manager started bringing in his own people. I saw the handwriting on the wall, and waited until January to get my 7% profit sharing
2 days later, I was on a plane to South America for a two week excursion.
I have never looked back, or had interest in keeping in touch with any of my former coworkers.
I now fly for Angel Flight West, Pilots & Paws, volunteer on a tourist train, and work with a food bank.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I still have dreams that I am in college, approaching finals week, and realize there is a class that I forgot to attend. And I can't find my schedule that shows where the class meets...
Funny, I had a similar dream a while ago, that I was already in graduate school when I realized that I forgot to finish the BS program. In the dream, I was sweating bullet that they would find me out. I wanted to finish those missing classes but could not find out where they met.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Funny, I had a similar dream a while ago, that I was already in graduate school when I realized that I forgot to finish the BS program. In the dream, I was sweating bullet that they would find me out. I wanted to finish those missing classes but could not find out where they met.

Wow. I have a dream every so often where I show up at class in college and I realize that it's the final and I haven't even been to one class, and I know absolutely nothing. HATE that dream

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Wow. I have a dream every so often where I show up at class in college and I realize that it's the final and I haven't even been to one class, and I know absolutely nothing. HATE that dream

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

+1. I have that dream every so often as well and it's always a Math class 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Lisa,
Thanks for sharing your fears. They are normal. When you first leave, there will be a shock to your system. It may take several months to get over the initial shock and a few years to find a new normal. It is a great journey.
If you want a real education the look into Osher Lifelong Institute that is available at UNLV. You will learn new things and possibly find a new community of friends. Google OLLI at UNLV.
You have saved some else's current employment and you will find that you are saving yourself also. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #35

I've had all those dreams described above. It must be very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I still have dreams that I am in college, approaching finals week, and realize there is a class that I forgot to attend. And I can't find my schedule that shows where the class meets..
Wow. I had this dream several times just before ER.

like Lisa I 2 worried that I might be making a huge mistake. I've been retired nearly 6 months now and life is WONDERFUL. I figured the worst thing that happens is that I end up broke at 85 and have to live on SSI. I've been keeping a sporadic diary since ER to go back to so I can remind myself that it was worth it should that happen
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Three words of advice: Plan a Vacation. I ER'ed in 2013 faced with similar anxieties. I planned a fun, extended vacation for a couple months after I left work. This gave me something exciting to look forward to and to plan and also acted as a kind of buffer between my career life and my next life. It helped immensely to put my mind off what I was leaving and to inaugurate something new.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
I have a very similar dream every so often, too! And it is college, not work. Yet when I went to college I was a good student, had good grades and was not a slack off, so what is with the dream? I thought in my case it was because I could easily work from home more than I do, but the dream is never work it is always classes.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

The final exam dream was explained to me this way: you are worried about being unprepared, and this is how the mind is expressing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
The final exam dream was explained to me this way: you are worried about being unprepared, and this is how the mind is expressing it.
I think that nails it. I have this dream in three forms. Sometime I forget to deliver the papers on my paper route, sometimes I forget to study for an exam and sometimes I forget to do something for work. Sure is nice waking up retired.