Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi...Learning and Trying to retire early in life of course
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Hi...Learning and Trying to retire early in life of course

Hello,

Been lurking for awhile and have tried to get into investing and saving in order to try and retire early. What I have so far:


401k: $247K I max mine out (17K) with 6K annually from employer
Vanguard: 2040 fund IRA (maxed each year) $55K

Vangard taxable: VFINX $4K
VGTSX $3k

Emergency fund: $50K

Money set aside for a house: $140K (note not all is going to go to house, but down payment, closing, furniture, etc) and what is left I will use to either pay some more on it or separate to make sure I can make payments in case anything happens. Do plan to buy one in the area Im in and will probably have my mother stay with me (widow now). But after she passes, I plan to move. Hence is why I don't want to put everything down on the house at the moment.

Job: stable however not happy. So would like to change jobs, but not profession. Pay will almost be the same. Im in high tax bracket so not able to do a ROTH IRA.


40 years old at the moment, single. Not factoring in Marriage or kids in future right now. If that happens, then will restructure.

1. How do I look now?
2. With extra income how would you invest? so money can grow? etc

3. I would like to go part time by age 50. If that happens, then estimated income take home pay (after taxes) would be 40K annually. And just ride it out until retirement. Do you think this is feasible or would it make more sense to stay on the grind ful time?

Thanks! Plan to stick around an learn! and Hopefully Join the Club!
__________________

__________________
sunshine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine98 View Post
Hello,

Been lurking for awhile and have tried to get into investing and saving in order to try and retire early. What I have so far:


401k: $247K I max mine out (17K) with 6K annually from employer
Vanguard: 2040 fund IRA (maxed each year) $55K

Vangard taxable: VFINX $4K
VGTSX $3k

Emergency fund: $50K

Money set aside for a house: $140K (note not all is going to go to house, but down payment, closing, furniture, etc) and what is left I will use to either pay some more on it or separate to make sure I can make payments in case anything happens. Do plan to buy one in the area Im in and will probably have my mother stay with me (widow now). But after she passes, I plan to move. Hence is why I don't want to put everything down on the house at the moment.

Job: stable however not happy. So would like to change jobs, but not profession. Pay will almost be the same. Im in high tax bracket so not able to do a ROTH IRA.


40 years old at the moment, single. Not factoring in Marriage or kids in future right now. If that happens, then will restructure.

1. How do I look now?
2. With extra income how would you invest? so money can grow? etc

3. I would like to go part time by age 50. If that happens, then estimated income take home pay (after taxes) would be 40K annually. And just ride it out until retirement. Do you think this is feasible or would it make more sense to stay on the grind ful time?

Thanks! Plan to stick around an learn! and Hopefully Join the Club!
Hi sunshine98. Welcome to the forum. Run your numbers through FireCalc to see if you might succeed. That's a starting place. Look in the last several "Hi I am..." posts for some more good general links and guidance for folks starting out. You'll probably get some more posts to this thread, but ask more questions as needed. Just as a guess, you may be a little low and you might need to push RE or savings and spending a little for your numbers to line up. Lots of ideas on how to proceed here. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
racy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine98 View Post
... investing and saving in order to try and retire early. .... 40 years old at the moment ... how would you invest? so money can grow? ...
Hi sun,
The stock market is your best bet for growing your money. I see you have S&P 500 and Int'l stock, and your 2040 Fund is 90% stock. I don't know what your 401k consists of. And, I don't know what your tolerance for risk is (have you pulled out of the market in past downturns, or added more?)

Depending on your risk tolerance, consider having somewhere between 60% and 80% in stock for your total portfolio (keeping out the house fund) at your age.
__________________
The Big Lebowski: Are you employed, sir?
The Dude: Employed?
racy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
Welcome to the forum, sunshine.

Two important questions:
1. What are your expenses? You state that you are in a high tax bracket, so you must have decent earnings. How much are you saving each month? Can expenses be cut to increase savings?
2. Does your job come with a pension, and if so, is it COLA'd cost of living adjusted)? A decent COLA'd pension is worth a lot. Without one, you will need a much higher net worth to finance you retirement.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hi sunshine98. Welcome to the forum. Run your numbers through FireCalc to see if you might succeed.
where is this located and thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
Hi sun,
I don't know what your 401k consists of.

8.85%

0.43%

16.46%

7.13%

0.80%

8.62%

8.53%

9.14%

8.58%
28.03%




Quote:
And, I don't know what your tolerance for risk is (have you pulled out of the market in past downturns, or added more?)
didn't pull out, although in past turndowns I lost some, I didn't have a major hit, just stayed the course. If anything, trying to figure out what to do with some extra money to invest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Welcome to the forum, sunshine.

Two important questions:
1. What are your expenses? You state that you are in a high tax bracket, so you must have decent earnings. How much are you saving each month?
expenses and saving each month I will say ive not got into depth with it. I do max out my 401k and every January put the max in my IRA. When I have extra saved along the way, that is how I have my emergency fund, house fund, etc. Now that I know that is secure, Im trying to figure out what to do with the extra money that does accumulate.

2 things I do anticipate to buy: umbrella insurance. and Disability insurance. need to look into more. I do pay for disability insurance at work, but I (at my own fault) don't know a lot about it.




Quote:
2. Does your job come with a pension, and if so, is it COLA'd cost of living adjusted)? A decent COLA'd pension is worth a lot. Without one, you will need a much higher net worth to finance you retirement.
all I have with my present job is my 401K of which I max out each year.
__________________
sunshine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,142
Firecalc is in the list Quick Links on the right of the forum screen. Here it is again:
FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,432
No one can give you any insights as to whether you have/will have enough until you know what you need to live on. A good starting point would be your annual take home pay (say for 2013) less what you saved (presumably the rest was spent) adjusted for any special, one-time, unusual items (like if you bought a new car for cash last year or something like that).

If you have Quicken, check out the Lifetime Planner included in there as it is a good, intuitive retirement planner (albeit with some small warts).

Also check out Some Important Questions to Answer Before Asking - Can I Retire?
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Online Course on the Finance of Retirement and Pensions Jackson D FIRE and Money 2 10-17-2013 04:47 PM
New to forum, and learning a lot Ready Hi, I am... 17 03-31-2013 10:00 PM
23 and trying to learn early.... ocsk8er03 Hi, I am... 5 09-22-2009 05:49 PM
Trying to save MIL's financial life... should I bother? FIREd FIRE and Money 74 07-18-2007 08:37 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.