Join Early Retirement Today

Hi - New here
Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi - New here

My husband and I retired in 1998 when I was 34 years old after years of me living frugally by choice (and we both still do) and me working massive hours and saving all that I could from the beginning of high school and through my college degrees and beyond. (My husband was of a different mindset until shortly before we married....he was more of a "earn as much as you can and spend as much as you earn" person. But has been on the same page as me for the past 23 years).

Back in the 90's, I had never heard anyone talking about retiring that early. And there was very little on the internet, if anything, that I could find about retiring that early. So I figured that I was crazy to do so, that I must be missing *something*. But every way I kept crunching the numbers (looking for where I must be mistaken), the numbers said that I could make it. So we retired.

There were no calculators at that time that would project out beyond 50 years, at least that I could find. And since we planned (and still do) on living to 100, I had to do my own computations.

At age 53 now, I can finally use others' calculators for which I am very grateful!!! (Which the FIRECalc led me back to this website today....I believe that I was on here sometime in the past, but I might be mistaken. Regardless, it would have been before 2011. I know I used to frequent the Retire Early Home Page.)

I always tracked my spending from the 1980's, so I always knew what I needed regarding expenses. I still track everything to this day so that I know we are still okay and on track. So the question of "how much do I need to retire", I can answer for myself pretty darn well (with the exceptions of future unknowns that I never know what to plan for like if one day one of us goes in a nursing home, although I do try to factor that in). Those are a more difficult calculations.

There's been ups and downs during our retirement years, especially having retired just 2-3 years before the dotcom burst where we got slammed. One thing I can say about my husband and myself is that we are not risk-averse! I only know that *now* because we never left the market. Rather we left our money in and it did come back

When we retired I said that I wanted to pay cash for our house (we had relocated and downsized) in the "rare" event that it might be like just before the Great Depression. (Because worry is a part of my nature, I like to be ready for the worst case scenario). So that, push came to shove, we could at least pay the property tax and not lose our home. Thank goodness (on many counts) that we chose to do that. Who would've known that we were getting ready to retire at one of the worst times in history?! But it all worked out just fine actually, just not exactly what we expected. Although we did tighten our belts for a few years because we didn't know how low the market might go (it went a lot) or how long it would take to recover (a long time).

I am so glad that we did retire when we did though. Because had we waited a few more years until after the crash, I would have been too scared to retire because I wouldn't have known how things would unfold. But now having been through it, I know I can do it just fine.

We've had trips of a lifetime scattered throughout our retirement years so far and hopefully many more to come. Scattered in between them have been a couple of health crisis. But all-in-all I'm glad that we've been able to do so much so far while we are both still in excellent health, instead of having waited until we were already too old or sick to do what we really wanted to do. Hopefully that won't happen again until many more decades to come!!!
erjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow...you have an amazing story. What your your biggest challenge in your 19 years of retirement? Your best experience?
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't imagine having retired at such a young age. Did you have kids? How did you get the funds to live on during the past 19 years? Gosh, you can't even access IRA's or 401k's.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great story. Please tell us more😬

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on taking the plunge at such an early age!

I can see you had a good data for your expenses when you retired, but how did you budget/plan for your income and inflation? From your comments, you had some (all?) of your investments in the stock market. What were your guidelines for projecting income from your investments?

Also, since you retired before the Affordable Care Act was around, did you buy medical insurance on the individual marketplace or just go without?
MildlyEccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Hi and welcome to ER as an early, early early retiree.

Your entrance into the 53rd year marks the same age as when DW (dear wife) and I retired back in 1989. with (most assuredly) fewer assets, but facing the same kinds of challenges that you have before you.

While money underlies the major concerns of everyone who retires early, there are hundreds of other concerns that affect our personal satisfaction with life, as well as a myriad of required decisions that pop up out of nowhere. The "what to do if..." things, that can be handled more easily with some foreknowledge.

Your opening post shows you've done your homework, and I especially liked your philosophy of thinking in terms of "bare bones" survival... something that guided our own early days of ER, and carried us through the rough spots.

I wouldn't presume to give advice, but to look through a fairly long 28 year history of the ups and downs that we faced and handled (most good, some bad)... you might want to take a peek at this thread...

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ent-62251.html

Best to you and yours, and hope you'll continue with your adventures, sharing them here on ER.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote