Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, Washington State Movie Fan Here
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, Washington State Movie Fan Here

Hello group!

I'm 30 years old, and have been saving furiously since my early 20's. My company matches 6% and gives an additional 4% of yearly salary for profit sharing. I contribute 15% to my 401K and max out a Roth IRA. i have double my yearly gross salary in my 401K. Is that on target? On top of that before I decided to buy a house I was investing in stocks as well. Now that I have the house I will have to struggle for the next two years until my car is paid off (I should have bought a cheaper car, but i thought the 2010 Jetta TDI would last longer with a diesel engine). Once that is finished, i'll free up an additional 800/month to save toward a better emergency fund. (Per Suze Orman)!

I'd like to either retire when I'm 50 or switch to a job that i'd just have for medical insurance purposes and work part time. Do a lot of you have that idea as well? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Hello group!
What is a Washington State movie?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I phrased that in a confusing way.

what i meant to say was "I am from washington state, and I am a fan of movies".
Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

What does 'FIRE' stand for?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What does 'FIRE' stand for?
You'll find the answer here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html
Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Welcome.

I think most part-time jobs do not come with medical insurance. I know there are some that do though. I cut back my hours at work, so that it is effectively part-time, but I was able to negotiate that I kept my health insurance. Another possibility is to marry someone who works and provides health insurance for the family.

You also have 20 years to go, so maybe there will be national health insurance by that point in time.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is a Washington State movie?
Sleepless in Seattle?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Sleepless in Seattle?
A good one, but a bit romantic. My favorites are 1) The Fabulous Baker Boys with Jeff Bridges, Beau Bridges, and Michelle Pfeiffer -great downtown scenery in this one; and 2) Five Easy Pieces, a 1970 movie with Jack Nicholson and Karen Black. It isn't really a Seattle movie, but there was important footage from San Juans- as I remember, Friday Harbor on San Juan Island.

Karen Black could sure make my motor run back in the day, but she never achieved big-time stardom I guess. Intelligent woman too.

Ha
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

When i retire at 50, and assuming health insurance is in a similar state....how much do people budget for health insurance per month?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm still trying to figure out why there are several members by the name of John Galt.

Hmmm...maybe it's just me...
Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why there are several members by the name of John Galt.

Hmmm...maybe it's just me...
Makes you wonder, Who is John Galt?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Makes you wonder, Who is John Galt?
Apparently a ghost someone that does not want to be forgotten...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I can't speak for others, but I always make my name in forums to be characters from my favorite books. In some i'm Kilgore Trout, others John Galt or Hank Rearden
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When i retire at 50, and assuming health insurance is in a similar state....how much do people budget for health insurance per month?
Use ehealthinsurance.com to see current rates. That's got to be the toughest one to budget for.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hello group!

I'm 30 years old, and have been saving furiously since my early 20's. My company matches 6% and gives an additional 4% of yearly salary for profit sharing. I contribute 15% to my 401K and max out a Roth IRA. i have double my yearly gross salary in my 401K. Is that on target? (snip)
I recently read a book called Your Money Ratios. It tells you how much you should save, and how much to have saved up, as a multiple of your salary. There's a thread about it here, and I see from Amazon.com that it's coming out in paperback next month. I don't know if the content has been updated or not. I would like to have seen an appendix for how to adjust the ratios for retiring earlier or with a different percentage of total earnings than the book assumes. But it will give you a ballpark idea of where you are. There are some links to other estimators in that thread, too.

Quote:
I'd like to either retire when I'm 50 or switch to a job that i'd just have for medical insurance purposes and work part time. Do a lot of you have that idea as well? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts.
Here's a recent thread about doing just that.

Quote:
Since you are still 20 years away from retirement I doubt it's possible to know with any certainty what health insurance will cost when you retire. So much could change during that time! About the only thing I can suggest is to find out how much you would have to pay if you retired now, and then add 20 years of inflation. I don't know what rate to use, though. I always hear health care goes up much faster than inflation in general, but I have no idea how much faster.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another issue I have is this: I have a thought that being a CPA and starting my own business would be a great way to semi retire some day and not feel choked by work. The problem is i need a year experience under a CPA to finish my license, and my current job can't provide that. I hesitate leaving after 9 years..anyone else have that experience ? Your views and experience is so great to read about...I am fascinated with this forum, and many times forget to post because of that.