Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems a bit tight to me. All those rentals could incur big ticket expenses and/or be empty for a while and/or have rents go way down. I would work a bit longer and really focus on saving/mortgage spend down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofCohoes View Post
When she retires she wants to sell the primary residence and move right away. She doesn't want to be retired and stay in the same area were in now. Comment went kinda like, heck with that, I'll just keep working if we're gonna stay here.....
I agree with your wife, if I lived in Troy I would want to move too.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I agree with your wife, if I lived in Troy I would want to move too.

SonofCohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife's having lunch with our financial gal today, they've been friends for a long time. I wonder what they'll talk about.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wife's having lunch with our financial gal today, they've been friends for a long time. I wonder what they'll talk about.
Probably not how much money you could save over the years by not having a financial gal.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #26

So just to clarify I don't think that you addressed SS in your original post.
Were both of you full career earners?

Did you assume $0 SS for Firecalc. If so, then the results would be very conservative.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
So just to clarify I don't think that you addressed SS in your original post.
Were both of you full career earners?

Did you assume $0 SS for Firecalc. If so, then the results would be very conservative.

-gauss

Yes We'll both be able to collect. I was going to start at 62. Take hers at full retirement age.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Probably not how much money you could save over the years by not having a financial gal.
She only has a small portion, most in with Vanguard.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Seems a bit tight to me. All those rentals could incur big ticket expenses and/or be empty for a while and/or have rents go way down. I would work a bit longer and really focus on saving/mortgage spend down.
Very true with the rentals, the market could puke too. I think you could really fall victim to all the what ifs and die early just from that added stress.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

After over 40 years of marriage, I learned many years ago that the DW is always right, regardless of the topic.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #31

It might be useful to create a future monthly budget for life in the new location as a way to verify that the LCOL area is really that. Some things you'll be able to predict to the dollar, some whole categories disappear, and other categories will surface as wild cards you need to clarify. In our moves cross country, I found figuring out these bite-sized pieces useful to predicting the big picture and reducing surprises.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
It might be useful to create a future monthly budget for life in the new location as a way to verify that the LCOL area is really that. Some things you'll be able to predict to the dollar, some whole categories disappear, and other categories will surface as wild cards you need to clarify. In our moves cross country, I found figuring out these bite-sized pieces useful to predicting the big picture and reducing surprises.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ive done the budgeting for retirement with both our present home and the new location. Having our daughter living in the area for going on 4 years now we have a very good idea of the costs in that local.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

A little update to my suggestion of her retiring earlier than I do. We talked it over and thinking DW may be retiring in 8 months and I'd leave after the 20 I'd suggested. We'd wind up with a little less 401 contributions but be further ahead in cash as her retirement income would be greater than her current take home pay. We're stuffing that 401k pretty full right now.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ways to transfer money from wife to financial gal. And BTW why are you not invited?

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ways to transfer money from wife to financial gal. And BTW why are you not invited?

Ha
Uhhhhhh, too much reminiscing.