Join Early Retirement Today

How do you survive last x months... Excruciating
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you survive last x months... Excruciating

So I I have another 10 months or so before ER... have given notice...and I cannot stand being here. BS bucket is overflowing. How did other folks mentally get through the last several months? Looking for tips. I have to stick it out...and I am blessed to be in the position to ER.. but just looking for suggestions from others.
Toddtheformeraccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alcohol ..................... ? 10 mo notice ? are you a key employee or a partner at the firm ?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

It’s so easy. Relax! Have fun. Come in a little late. Leave a little early. Don’t take anything seriously. Look at people and know they will be paying into the system for you. Take a long lunch. Google things on the internet. Do every retirement planner known to man. Make budget spreadsheets. Read articles on the computer. Nap at your desk
Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do understand what you are going through. I was asked before I retire if I would let them know one year in advance of my retiring. I had no problem with that but also told them with that much advance when the time got closer to a year I would pick the exact date then.
It is kind of a hard way to go out but I really coasted and had a lot of time to get my ducks in a row. I liked giving a longer notice because it prepared me more and was a very relaxed year as I turned over the decision making to others. Be patient it will come sooner then you think.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

"One day at a time" is a cliche, but if you can concentrate on that, not a countdown with "300 days" left, it might be a little easier. Don't forget to enjoy life along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
10 mo notice ? are you a key employee or a partner at the firm ?
Could just be that's the earliest date they qualify for retirement based on age and/or years of service. If that's the case, "giving notice" could just be an informal heads-up to the boss, not a written letter of intended resignation required by the employer for retirement paperwork.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtheaccountant View Post
So I I have another 10 months or so before ER... have given notice...and I cannot stand being here. BS bucket is overflowing. How did other folks mentally get through the last several months? Looking for tips. I have to stick it out...and I am blessed to be in the position to ER.. but just looking for suggestions from others.
I definitely took a step back emotionally. I let far more roll over me. Didn't aggressively pursue new projects, etc. But otherwise did my work.

Folks did notice this at work. I was awarded a stock option grant that was far lower than it had been in the past.

When I announced my resignation to immediate superiors (not at large) the initial reaction was that it was due to this lower stock option grant! Obviously it was the other way around.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Alcohol ..................... ? 10 mo notice ? are you a key employee or a partner at the firm ?
I'm a relatively key employee, and I wouldn't feel right about leaving until my successor is in place and somewhat up to speed....
Old 03-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
It’s so easy. Relax! Have fun. Come in a little late. Leave a little early. Don’t take anything seriously. Look at people and know they will be paying into the system for you. Take a long lunch. Google things on the internet. Do every retirement planner known to man. Make budget spreadsheets. Read articles on the computer. Nap at your desk
Sounds about right to me.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm a relatively key employee, and I wouldn't feel right about leaving until my successor is in place and somewhat up to speed....
Welp...it's too late unless you can change your notice, but I would have told you that there is almost no difference between giving 2 months or 10 for that purpose.

Unless you are in a teeny tiny firm, your employer will not replace you until the last couple of months, after a slow and non-urgent search. 10 months is longer than C-suite gives at major companies. It will be squandered by almost any company.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I had ten months on my plan and my VP went on a little temper tantrum. I gave notice a couple weeks later.

If I was going to stick it out I'd mentally shut down. Just hang out, watch the comedy show and relax. Meditation is beneficial.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Welp...it's too late unless you can change your notice, but I would have told you that there is almost no difference between giving 2 months or 10 for that purpose.

Unless you are in a teeny tiny firm, your employer will not replace you until the last couple of months, after a slow and non-urgent search. 10 months is longer than C-suite gives at major companies. It will be squandered by almost any company.
Yes. Depending on the circumstances I might give a verbal heads-up to my boss ahead of time -- if I had enough respect and regard for them -- but I would never submit a *written* notice to retire until I had to.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Actually the search is definitely on.. I'm interviewing first candidates this week. So they are taking advantage of the opportunity.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Thank you... That's good advice! I do think I need to get a little out of my head. Just sent an email to boss about taking some days off over the next month... That should help!!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I do understand what you are going through. I was asked before I retire if I would let them know one year in advance of my retiring. I had no problem with that but also told them with that much advance when the time got closer to a year I would pick the exact date then.
It is kind of a hard way to go out but I really coasted and had a lot of time to get my ducks in a row. I liked giving a longer notice because it prepared me more and was a very relaxed year as I turned over the decision making to others. Be patient it will come sooner then you think.
Thank you street!!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Clean out your office. Go through any files or emails and shred or delete all the old ones that others won't need after you have retired. Return anything borrowed.

Try to think of what you need to do (and when) to make the transition as seamless as possible, and easier on everybody.

But at the same time, start thinking about any who are jerks as irrelevant to your life, because they are, now. When they are giving you BS, just stare at them blankly like they are crazy (because they are, since at this point just about nothing can make a whole lot of difference to you).

Make a list of all the days you will need to work for the next 10 months. Every morning when you get to work, cross off another day on that list. You will be surprised at how fast that list gets smaller.

Plan for (daydream about) your retirement and what you want to do once you are retired. Make a list of things you wish you were doing instead of working. Figure out what institutional knowledge or ins and outs of your job need to be transferred to others before you leave, and to whom, and how. This will probably be easier for you than it was for me, since my work involved classified information and that can get complicated.

I officially gave notice about 6-8 months before I retired, which was a normal amount of notice for a senior scientist at my agency to give. Also since my supervisor was also my friend, I told her privately that this was coming up a year or so before then.

Also, in my case, I saved up the maximum vacation time (given that we had use or lose). Then I used all of it during the last few months; a week vacation, then a week or two back, and repeat. That was my choice even though I could have been paid for the vacation time. I just preferred to use it, to lower my stress levels during those last few difficult months before retirement.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But at the same time, start thinking about any who are jerks as irrelevant to your life, because they are, now. When they are giving you BS, just stare at them blankly like they are crazy (because they are, since at this point just about nothing can make a whole lot of difference to you).
Plus, every time they are a jerk to you, just silently remind yourself that soon, your time will be your own while he/she continues on for (probably) years and years of continued wage slavery....

Old 03-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

TTA
I'm with you. I'm oversea's and it is 7 days per GD week. With the pooters and GD cell phones it is 16 hrs a day 10 months per year.

I have 7 working months or 10 if I go afew more OMM's - one more months.....

Till then - here is how I'm coping....

Until I can be chasing Ms. gamboolgal around the old 4 poster - buck neckid......full time in Gods Country
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #18

I have LOTS of annual tasks, and after every one I hate, I do a mental dance and remind myself that I'll never have to do THAT again.

Its getting real for me now, my replacement is doing the last hiring screening today. Too late to back out now.

New challenge- rearranging office for replacement to train with me.

I have several timers, one is a "Mondays Left " counter. It's fun scratching those out once a week. I have 48 left!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #19

For my last six months I made sur I had a three day weekend every three weeks. I used holidays, comp time and vacation time. That way I would tell myself only two weeks until a three day weekend, and I stayed focused on the short term.

You are in the home stretch, breath a sigh of relief!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take a few days off, see if you can telecommute some days or work a shorter week.

Most importantly use this time to get things in order. Take a hard look at your budget and figure out how things will change. Not just the weekly check not coming in but getting shirts and suits cleaned, lunches our everyday, commuting costs etc memberships and what not. Work on reducing expenses and changing spending habits...

Make a list of the new things you want to do and research them. Home repairs, travel, hobbies, books you want to read, languages you always wanted to learn. Focus on the future as your work and work life which was likely all consuming is coming to an end. Welcome to the rest of your life!