Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

How long is too long???
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How long is too long???

I know this is the same question asked over and over, perhaps in a slightly different way. How do you know when you've stayed in the same job TOO LONG!?! ...probably for the sake of all concerned, the employee as well as the employer.

I think I'm there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's probably different for everyone. I think intuitively most people just know at some level. For me, a biggie was that after taking a vacation and getting refreshed, I absolutely hated going back to work. Even to the point where I got nausea just thinking about it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I absolutely hated going back to work. Even to the point where I got nausea just thinking about it.
I felt that way this morning... not really nausea exactly but really yukky!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
How do you know when you've stayed in the same job TOO LONG!?!
Are you talking about the employer or a certain job/position with the employer?

I wo*ked for a global mega-corp for just under 30 years, but I didn't stay in the same position.

Organizations change - people change. They don't necessarily do the same thing at the same time.

Rough count (on my fingers and toes) I had more than a dozen "opportunities" that I took advantage of while employed there. Some I persued, some were just offered.

Like a long marriage, sometimes you just have to look at ways to "spice it up" along the way ...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

33 years with the same employer, however...ever 2-3 years they gave me something new and more challenging to do. was fun every single day.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

marko,

I've worked in the SAME job for 20 years - State job - with no opportunity for anything better because of the unique skills needed for what I do. Could have started over in a different area but I'd lose all that I gained. Couldn't change locations because my wife is also employed here and the family is all close by here.

Now, I think the "problem" is that I've heard the sirens call and there's no turning back!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Are you talking about the employer or a certain job/position with the employer?

I wo*ked for a global mega-corp for just under 30 years, but I didn't stay in the same position.

Organizations change - people change. They don't necessarily do the same thing at the same time.

Rough count (on my fingers and toes) I had more than a dozen "opportunities" that I took advantage of while employed there. Some I persued, some were just offered.

Like a long marriage, sometimes you just have to look at ways to "spice it up" along the way ...
+1 !

I've been with the same MegaCorp since graduating college (25+ years). Never had a chance to get bored - have had many different opportunities within the firm.

Some days I absolutely hate my j*b, some days I tolerate it, some days I have fun (but there are not enough of those days anymore).

Most days I daydream about what I'd be doing if I weren't w*rking. Then I get a bout of anxiety wondering if I'm too young to retire and I put my head down and go back to my j*b !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

As I age it is getting harder and harder to stick to any long term task. Fortunately I'm able to switch tasks and do different things in my travels. That is my survival mode at this stage (600+/- days to go).
How long do you have to go? I think you may feel stuck due the circumstances and may resent the situation a little. If so I think we all go through that once in a while. In any event its your call.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #9

You've been there too long when you start to feel like this:

Old 08-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies! I'm not stressed out, I'm BORED. I just want more out of life.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
33 years with the same employer, however...ever 2-3 years they gave me something new and more challenging to do. was fun every single day.
Similar 33 years for me. It was fun...until it wasn't anymore. Last 5 years were high stress, confrontational, with a lot of travel. When the numbers said I could, I did.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #12

I changed jobs in early 2009 largely because I was bored after after 14 years with the same firm doing the same work and dealing with the same issues over and over again.

The change has helped see me through the last few years before FIREing but wasn't sufficiently different to keep me feeling renewed for more than a year or so. Still, given how close I was to the finishing line, it was a better option than either taking a career break or doing some that was completely different but paid a lot less - in both cases I would have ended up delaying FIREing by several years. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #13

If you are bored, perhaps you could find some younger people in your company to mentor. Pass along your hard won wisdom and perspective.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did not have to change jobs. My employer keep going into mergers and acquisitions. Changed its name and culture so many times and keeps my job nature interesting. Eventually, got bored with too many changes and also just got bored with having to work. So, I guess, it is not a question of how long one stays with a single employer - it just boils down to how long one wants to continue to work as opposed to ER.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

eight years...move on
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
If you are bored, perhaps you could find some younger people in your company to mentor. Pass along your hard won wisdom and perspective.
Thanks, Bryan, but I have done this... many times. Now it's MY time!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
The first time I saw this I felt that best explained my rational for SIRE'ing out in 2013. You just don't get the years back. I see way too many folks that hold on to the next 2% per year on their retirement check, they must have some information that they are going to live to 100. Now if that werer the case I might hang on for another year, well maybe, after long consideration no that just not my style.

T-bird
Class of 2013
Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

To respond to the OP. If you have to ask the questions you may already have the answer.

T-bird
Class of 2013
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bird View Post
To respond to the OP. If you have to ask the questions you may already have the answer.

T-bird
Class of 2013
I'm almost certain to be a Class of 2013 with you!!!
Closed Thread