Join Early Retirement Today

How much do you live on in retirement?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

How much do you live on in retirement?

I know the answers will change dramatically based on lifestyles, health insurance, mortage, etc, however the biggest struggle for me as I get closer to "the number" is how much I'll actually spend each year. 51 year old, sold a business, have invested the proceeds of that sale and have no personal debt.
Investable assets are split between taxable and no taxed and would throw off $80K/yr at 4%SWR. I've budgeted $12K a year for the higher deductable health plan that I currently am paying $8K/year for. I have an interest in some commercial buildings and land that will provide cash if and when I decide to sell them. I've talked to contemporaries that pull anywhere from $40K/yr to $150K a year from their portfolios. I guess none of this information really has an effect on spending, other than to say I'm curious what people actually live on... health care and SS aside.

Thanks !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We live quite confortably on 56000 euros a year. We could live on much less but we donīt want to be the richest inmates of the cemetery and our 34 years old son has more than his basic needs perfectly covered

Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Administrator

I live on very close to the same amount that I lived on before retirement. I save money on some things but spend more on others, and it balances out.

The best way to figure it out, is from your present budget. You might want to subtract some for the costs of commuting and work clothing, which you will no longer need. You might want to add some for entertainment, travel, and so on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
gone traveling

I live on the same net income (adjusted upwards for my personal rate of inflation) as I did before I retired, four years ago.

As you said - disregarding income sources and lifestyle expenses (which are different for everybody), I feel I lived a good life (financially) before I retired - meaning I did not delay anything till retirement, nor reduce any expenses after retirement, so I chose to live in the same manner. Luckily, I can afford it...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
We live quite confortably on 56000 euros a year.
Vicente, prior to you deleting that fourth zero I was really impressed!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
meaning I did not delay anything till retirement, nor reduce any expenses after retirement, so I chose to live in the same manner. Luckily, I can afford it...
Nothing to do with luck, but merely a reflection of your superior virtue.

Ha
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This could be an interesting thread. I'm not FIRE yet, but I hope to live on the same budget as before/after work life.... give or take about $60k. I've factored in $75k in my spreadhseets. This assumes mortgage free/auto loan free.

Healthcare and kids' expenses could be the wildcards.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gonna just say it again, the right amount is going to be something near what you were living on before. It is the amount you spent a long time getting comfortable with, and a huge change would be very uncomfortable.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm looking at that too. I don't see that it will be much different, with a few exceptions.

Our last child has probably 3 more years of college; when he graduates, our expenses will go down by that amount.

Our mortgage will be retired in about 6 years, so that amount will go down.

I don't see anything else going down. Maybe the laundry for the dress shirts and suits I take there, but that won't amount to a hill of beans. Maybe lunches, but I'm pretty cheap there already.

The idea of assuming you will live on significantly less in retirement has never made sense to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Gonna just say it again, the right amount is going to be something near what you were living on before. It is the amount you spent a long time getting comfortable with, and a huge change would be very uncomfortable.
Unless you're a very adaptable person.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Yep...pretty much.

We budget our spending to 3% of our portfolio. Some years I'm sure we'll go over and some years we'll spend less. Life happens.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Our income has changed considerably over the years but our expenses have not. I guess we found our comfort level. I see no reason to spend differently in retirement.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We are spending about the same as when we were both working (which is a whole lot less than we were earning) but what we spend on has changed a bit. Lots more on travel, lots less on restaurants at home and lots less for DW's clothes . It balances out.

Edit: Actually, I didn't include two mortgages that we paid while working but paid off prior to retirement. ER spending is down that much.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
I know the answers will change dramatically based on lifestyles, health insurance, mortage, etc, however the biggest struggle for me as I get closer to "the number" is how much I'll actually spend each year. 51 year old, sold a business, have invested the proceeds of that sale and have no personal debt.
Investable assets are split between taxable and no taxed and would throw off $80K/yr at 4%SWR. I've budgeted $12K a year for the higher deductable health plan that I currently am paying $8K/year for. I have an interest in some commercial buildings and land that will provide cash if and when I decide to sell them. I've talked to contemporaries that pull anywhere from $40K/yr to $150K a year from their portfolios. I guess none of this information really has an effect on spending, other than to say I'm curious what people actually live on... health care and SS aside.

Thanks !
Been retired for about a year, and expenses are about the same as before. For what is worth, I live on about 4k a month and still am paying on my mortgage. Other than my semi monthly trips to Vegas to feed my sports betting habit, I live a pretty simple life. Fender your 8k a year for high deductible insurance seems high. Is that for you or a family plan? My HD insurance is $700 a year for 5k deductible, individual. I'm only 4 years younger than you.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

Since it's how much do we live on, not how much do we spend, I'll feel free to ignore taxes and gifts to the kids.

I used to make mid 6 figures and we probably 'lived on' about $75K. It may be $85K today, I don't keep detailed records.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Nothing to do with luck, but merely a reflection of your superior virtue.
Had to be luck (I'm not that smart )...
Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I guess none of this information really has an effect on spending, other than to say I'm curious what people actually live on... health care and SS aside.
Thanks !
How Did You Do On Your Expense Budget in 2010?

How much did you spend in 2010?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Pre-FIRE: My gross salary used to be > $75K.

Post-FIRE: Less than $50K gross income from pension + annuity. Not tapping into my investments at all.

I live in a semi-rural area, no mortgage, high taxes, moderate COL (compared to urban areas). Spending is too variable to quantify.
I have enough left over after all expenses to continue DCA at varying levels as prudent, build up some more cash, make some minor improvements on the house (windows right now), and go on an annual low budget trip to FL.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #19

Annual expenses are $60k. Once the mortgage is paid off that will be $30k. Half of that will be covered by rent from the ground floor apartment. I live in Boston and that $30k includes everything, taxes, health insurance @ $5k a year etc. Areas where significant savings can be made are food and transportation. I eat very well but I'm very frugal as I grow fruits and veg in my garden and do a lot of cooking. Why pay $10 for a big apple pie when it costs $2 to bake one and it tastes better. I have a car, but use my bike around the city to shop and go out. The saving on gas and maintenance are big.

Once I ER a 1.5% WR plus the rent will cover my expenses and once SS starts I will have no need to withdraw from my investments for income.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #20

Ms G. and I have about 40k in expenses. So far in 5 years of ER, we have generated that much yearly from our taxable account alone. As a matter of fact we are about half a year ahead of ourselves.

We are spending about 5k more in retirement than our w**king life. Our home and cars were paid for before ER, and BCBS sets us back about 7k a year. Additionally the roads here ate an SUV we owned and had to buy a new GMC truck.