Join Early Retirement Today

How much is enough
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

How much is enough

Canít wait to retire, 58 now. I have only one rental property and 401k and owe about 20% of the value of my 2 homes as a Mortgage. Hoping to retire at 62 and payoff both homes by then, but often think I should buy another property instead. My 401k is over 1.2 Million but you have to pay taxes on that money. The more I look into things the worst I feel about the position Iím in...1. Buy another property 2. Call it a day and try and move 401k higher in the next 4 years..

maybesomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tough call to predict which is a better bet. Plenty of folks do well with real estate, I prefer stocks.

What are your expenses? Many retire on much less than $1.2M. A popular and safe rule of thumb is to withdraw each year the greater of 4% of your funds or your original withdrawal after adjusting for inflation. But like all plans, you should monitor it and adjust income or expenses as circumstances require.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also pretty hard to comment when you don't state the values of your home and rental property and the monthly net income from the rental property along with SS and any other expected income.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Simple numbers to consider as a starting point:

At age 58, life expectancy is 24 years.
$1.2Million Divided by 24 = $50K/yr.
Avg SS = $17K/yr
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybesomeday View Post
Canít wait to retire, 58 now. I have only one rental property and 401k and owe about 20% of the value of my 2 homes as a Mortgage. Hoping to retire at 62 and payoff both homes by then, but often think I should buy another property instead. My 401k is over 1.2 Million but you have to pay taxes on that money. The more I look into things the worst I feel about the position Iím in...1. Buy another property 2. Call it a day and try and move 401k higher in the next 4 years..
Here's a helpful list of questions to answer before asking if you can afford to retire or not:

Some Important Questions to Answer Before Asking - Can I Retire?
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you like being a landlord? It is a version of 'work'
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Simple numbers to consider as a starting point:

At age 58, life expectancy is 24 years.
$1.2Million Divided by 24 = $50K/yr.
Avg SS = $17K/yr
Simple is always better than complicated!
I would add: Any portfolio appreciation will offset inflation.

As an engineer, I would add:
"Close enough now is better than 3 figure accuracy in a year!"
Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

How much do you think you can increase the value of your 401k by the time you hit 62?
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
How much do you think you can increase the value of your 401k by the time you hit 62?

Thatís a good question, I am up only 70K + this year...6.2% gain, which is low for market trends, Iím early on most of my plays this year. Additionally I have about 298k in Home Mortgage and both propertyís are valued at 875K and 620K respectfully... itís clear I need to stay employed and save more..
maybesomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thatís a good question, I am up only 70K + this year...6.2% gain, which is low for market trends, Iím early on most of my plays this year. Additionally I have about 298k in Home Mortgage and both propertyís are valued at 875K and 620K respectfully... itís clear I need to stay employed and save more..
I think it really depends on your spending and your future plans. For instance, if you sold both houses you'd net about $1.2mln. If you moved to a low cost of living area and bought a $300k house, you could add $900k to your nestegg. Add that to your 401k and now you're at $2.1mln. At a 4% withdrawal rate that's $84k per year, plus your SS. Many people live on far less.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hmm... so you basically have:

$1.2M 401k
$875K RE Equity
$620K RE Equity
$298K RE Debt
Total Net Worth if you liquidated: ~$2.4M

Are your annual expenses over $100K (4% WR off that nut)? Do you have any other cash/investments? Have you calculated your expected SS? What's your monthly take from the rental? If it's worth $620K, I'd imagine it's pulling in a couple grand a month.

I must be missing something. Unless you're a big spender, this doesn't strike me as a "clear I need to stay employed" situation.

Standard Staples is offline   Reply With Quote