Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Nords:* Just off the top of my head, there are quite a number of "performance issues" to contend with for early retirees:

Maintaining a low handicap in golf,
Choosing the right "pattern" for fly-fishing,
and last, but not least, there is a little blue pill that takes care of the most important "performance issue". (Although, this may be redundent, as Brat may have already addressed this in her post. )

Jarhead, I am going to add you to my FIRE Forum heroes list.
Send me a PM if you want to join John Galt's Rangers

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 175
Re: How to leave current job?

I got another two weeks to go on my job. I almost like going there now. I don't do anything, I surf, run errands and all sorts of other personal stuff. I make sure my face is seen some time before lunch and after lunch. Ranking & rating, performance and deadlines - shove it all!

I was told my job ceases to exist because there is nothing left to do for me any more. No problem, I will gladly take the three months of pay and 6 months of unemployment bennies. Oops, they just found out that I am the only one who knows how to do certain things. The continuous stream of 'urgent' emails, pages, phone calls, one-on-ones and meeting requests on my latest projects are all ignored answered with a very friendly 'I do the best I can' and it is 'on top of my list'. Geeh, can't they figure out that four months of 'urgent' stuff should not be piled on someone who is walking out in two weeks and has another 30 hours of vacation time to burn before.

Until I am walked out. I will have to pretend that I am performing/working otherwise I can still be fired according to the notorious documents in my grey folder that have been handed out generously lately.

Vicky
__________________

__________________
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
I got another two weeks to go on my job. I almost like going there now. I don't do anything, I surf, run errands and all sorts of other personal stuff. I make sure my face is seen some time before lunch and after lunch. Ranking & rating, performance and deadlines - shove it all!

I was told my job ceases to exist because there is nothing left to do for me any more. No problem, I will gladly take the three months of pay and 6 months of unemployment bennies. Oops, they just found out that I am the only one who knows how to do certain things. The continuous stream of 'urgent' emails, pages, phone calls, one-on-ones and meeting requests on my latest projects are all ignored answered with a very friendly 'I do the best I can' and it is 'on top of my list'. Geeh, can't they figure out that four months of 'urgent' stuff should not be piled on someone who is walking out in two weeks and has another 30 hours of vacation time to burn before.

Until I am walked out.* I will have to pretend that I am performing/working otherwise I can still be fired according to the notorious documents in my grey folder that have been handed out generously lately.

Vicky
Vicky, it's been many many years since I went through this but I
remember it well. "Lame duckism" sucks, big time!

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
While this is true in some sense, it doesn't mean what sensible people might think it means.* In order to have an enforcible law, "actively looking for work" has to mean something very specific.* It turns out that in most states it means you have to send out two resumes or talk to a couple of potential employers each week.* You get to choose who to talk to or where to send the resumes.

In reality, the only check on whether you do this or not is your answer to a question from the authorities each week.* Many states make the questions available to you over the internet or via an automated phone system.* So once a week you have to call or log on and say "send me the money."* My guess is that a lot of people don't even send out two resumes and simply lie.* As far as I can tell, states do nothing to try to discover the truth.* It probably would cost them more to expose fraud than it costs them to simply pay the benefits.* *
Could be!
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 506
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Vicky, it's been many many years since I went through this but I
remember it well.* "Lame duckism" sucks, big time!

JG
Interesting observation.* From time to time I go through this in the military.* I am kind of in one of them as we speak.* The organization reorganized about 3 weeks ago an since I am getting ready to deploy I wasn't really given a role.* No worries though.

Today one of the top guys in the organization said you can always tell when a guy is getting ready to leave for a while, he is doing a lot more PT, his run time is improving and the SLIC (self licking ice cream cone) of work just doesn't seem that important.*

Tomcat98
__________________
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 987
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What "performance issues" would an early retiree give a shi! about?
Having a nest egg that was large enough to fund a Viagra prescription later in life
__________________
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,519
Re: How to leave current job?

Priceless!!!
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,067
Re: How to leave current job?

At the beginning of this year, I had planned to give my 2 week notice in June and leave after the 4th of July (to get an extra paid holiday) but my former employer decided to alter my plans and laid me off 3 months before I was going to leave.
As a consolation prize for my 21 years of service, they gave me 6 months of severance pay with health benefits (I tried unsuccessfully to squeeze another 2 months), 3 weeks vacation, 3 more weeks of vacation (due to the vague wording that I caught on their the separation letter) and 26 weeks of UC.

Their plan worked out to be much better than mine. I can live with that.
__________________
I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How to leave current job?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Re: How to leave current job?

Quote:
At the beginning of this year, I had planned to give my 2 week notice in June and leave after the 4th of July (to get an extra paid holiday) but my former employer decided to alter my plans and laid me off 3 months before I was going to leave.
As a consolation prize for my 21 years of service, they gave me 6 months of severance pay with health benefits (I tried unsuccessfully to squeeze another 2 months), 3 weeks vacation, 3 more weeks of vacation (due to the vague wording that I caught on their the separation letter) and 26 weeks of UC.

Their plan worked out to be much better than mine. I can live with that.
Thanks for all the posts and comments. I'll wait and see how they handle the termination. They may well turn out to have a better plan than mine. At this point its impossible to out-guess them.

This lame duck transition period it a real pill though. Just get it over with already!

__________________

__________________
------------------------------------------------<br />Dogs Bark, But the Caravan Moves On<br />------------------------------------------------
DogsBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job Dilemma...which one to take? Calgary_Girl Young Dreamers 16 06-30-2006 04:24 PM
Ouch, thought I had a new govmint job! Bimmerbill Other topics 6 05-01-2006 09:55 AM
Leave my night job? UPDATE: gtmeouttahere Hi, I am... 13 04-10-2006 06:38 AM
New Job? SteveR Other topics 16 12-14-2005 02:19 PM
Advice: which job to take? soupcxan Young Dreamers 23 11-19-2004 10:23 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.