Join Early Retirement Today

Howdy from Southern Colorado
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
gone traveling

Howdy from Southern Colorado

Howdy Folks. I haven't worked since closing my truck transportation services brokerage 4 years ago @ age 55. I would've liked it to last a couple years longer but so it goes. We moved to the mountains a year ago and haven't looked back.

Frustration with hugely expensive health insurance prompted me to find this group. Look forward to hanging out.

Paul
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome Paul. Nice to have you and you'll find lots of current discussions on the new ACA adventure.

Speaking of Colorado, just watch "Split Estate" on Netflix today about natural gas fracking in the western state. Some pretty scary stuff and didn't realize how the Oil & Gas companies can just come on your land and start drilling. Just found it interesting. Don't want to stir up any big political debate.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, Mr. Paul. There's a really nice group of folks on this board. Sit back, relax and join in.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

Hi Paul,

I did an off-road trip up onto a high ridge starting at Texas Creek along the Arkansas River last month. The view was looking south over the Sangre de Cristos. Sure is some beautiful country. I retired last July and am building a home in the central mountains of Colorado. A little more costly than the southern mountains, but still wonderful. I will be able to stay with my company's insurance until 65 so I'm not much help for health insurance.

Good luck on the health insurance. Look around on this forum. There are several threads on the new health exchanges. I found the following link useful in researching the Colorado health exchange for my daughter:

Colorado Health Insurance | Find the best Colorado health plan for you | US News

Hermit
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi Paul,

I live on the West Slope Colorado. Currently using COBRA, just received a notice of 24% premium increase for 2014 so decided to check out the Connect Colorado Exchange. They force you to fill out an extensive and intrusive application (PEAK) to see if you qualify for Medicaid before you can buy an Exchange policy. I talked with a Peak rep and was told it takes ~45 days for the application to be processed. You can browse companies that are participating in your area. In our area there are seven companies that are offering policies, but only one of the seven that is accepted by DW's and my doctors' office so options are very limited.

Good luck,

Terry
TerryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
gone traveling

Thanks folks for the kind words ... Hermit we'll be neighbors, kinda :-)

I've already been through the Medicaid denial thing ... took 35 days.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #7

Mr. Paul, welcome from Colorado Springs!

So, where in Southern Colorado? That sure includes some mighty fine country.

Coach
Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
gone traveling

Hi Coach ... we moved from Denver to Westcliffe a year ago. I was in Colo Springs for a radio conference last Thursday.

cheers
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Mr. Paul....welcome from a fellow Colorado resident. I'm looking forward to learning more about your retirement and health insurance findings.
Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Hi Coach ... we moved from Denver to Westcliffe a year ago. I was in Colo Springs for a radio conference last Thursday.

cheers
Beautiful spot you've chosen, Mr. Paul. I spent many weekends backpacking the eastern slopes of the Sangre de Christos in my youth.