Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Hope they find a replacement soon!
Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I cannot wait to utter these words.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!!

I live for the day I can say those words. In the meantime it's wonderful to hear that other folks have reached the goal.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations.......enjoy every minute
sgfgrover15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! Time to start living the best years of your life.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I think a couples massage and nice lunch are in order today!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You posted this 6 hours ago and haven't posted since, In-control. That is a good sign, as it means you are not wasting away the first days of your retirement on the internet, like some of us reprobates

Congratulations, and welcome to the rest of your life!

I post from work... I wouldn't have time if I was retired

Congrats I hope to follow soon (but not soon enough)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW - thanks all. Life is so wonderful sometimes. Your support really makes me smile.

UPDATE! The following morning i am getting a cup of Joe with the CIO next to me who congratulates me. I say thanks - do you know all the facts? He said no he just got a forwarded e-mail. I told him all I wanted was a 4 day weekend and more work/life balance. I would produce the same quantity and quality of work @ 40 hrs in 25. You pay me less, get the same, I get benefits and we both win.

4 hrs later my mgr tells me. The CIO does not want to see you go. You get to be PT, and work from home on Fridays. Which means I am in the office 2 days a week with full benefits.

How could I say no?!

So I am semi retired with benifits
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Free View Post
Congrats! Hope they find a replacement soon!
+1

Make sure to keep it really PT so they have to find someone soon!

EDIT: Oops! I didn't read down to the bottom of the thread before posting. Sounds like this is a good way for you to ease into retirement. Hopefully you'll have a lot less BS and useless meetings, which in itself will make you more productive. Good luck!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #30

Why does it seem so hard for companies to do this? I've been telling them for the last 4 years I didn't want more pay--keep the raise--I want more vacation or shorter work week. No go. They just push harder. Telling them I'm planning on moving on soon. Maybe they will make me the same offer they made you!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Why does it seem so hard for companies to do this? I've been telling them for the last 4 years I didn't want more pay--keep the raise--I want more vacation or shorter work week. No go. They just push harder. Telling them I'm planning on moving on soon. Maybe they will make me the same offer they made you!
I worded it in such a way that they got the same output and quality and it would cost them less. I really pushed the WorkLife balance word saying that all I want is a four day weekend. I stated that I was flexible and lets try it for a year and see how it goes. My manager originally said no, the CIO said yes. Turns out we have alot of people working on reduced schedules. Everyone wins!

It takes a mature and trusting manager to go along with this. Eventually smart co. will realize the vast experienced pool of people out their who want to contribute simply for the pleasure of it. With enough $ for some fun and benefits.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #32

Average age for an electrical engineer is now >50. I suspect industry will be seeing a lot more of this kind of request and will have to deal with it. Still not out the door but one manager told me the problem has to do with how this company's accounting works. They can get funds for contract labor but are restricted on employee headcount. End result is discussions of doing contract labor after I leave full employment behind.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
They can get funds for contract labor but are restricted on employee headcount.
Sounds like a case of "We've always done it this way". Math is not my strong point but even I could figure a way to change "headcount" to "work hours". Sheesh.