Join Early Retirement Today

I finally pushed the "Retire" button this morning!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally pushed the "Retire" button this morning!

I've been thinking and talking about retiring for a couple of years. DW actually retired a bit over two years ago, and our money situation was OK for me to retire at that time, but I was still enjoying the work and not quite ready to go.

I'm 62 and my wife is 61, so it's not exactly early retirement by the standards of this board, but it's still a big step. I'm an engineer doing advanced process control work in a big chemical plant. The technical content of the work is still quite interesting, but I find I have less patience with the administrative and other BS content of the job.

My last day will be July 15. I find that I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time, like many of the stories I read here.

By the way, there actually is a "Retire" button on the company's internal web site, but they make it hard to find.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you!

I was an engineer too, EE working on motion control (automation) out here in N CA. Yeah, talk about job security, how about automation work in hi-tech heaven?

But the Co. kept adding new lines that had nothing to do with what I was good at and I felt like the old dog expected to learn new tricks. Vision systems, RFID's, interface to central control. More like computer networking than motion control. I had the dough and didn't want to learn "new tricks"

But that's the way the world is moving, more automation not less.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Me too
Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too

I was an engineer as well, but had moved to managing a large plant probably similar to yours. The last two years only having money thrown at me made it worthwhile. When I turned 60, with no decent bonuses or stock awards in sight I gladly left. I still get my tech buzz on consulting two days a week. But the abuse from senior corporate management is blissfully absent in life 2.0, retirement. I recommend part time technical work of some kind, paid or volunteer, I have two paid and a half dozen volunteer gigs and that still gives me lots of play time. Congratulations!
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Another engineer here. Congratulations to you. I hope you post progress info so I know what to look forward to.

I like the personal relationships and the intellectual stimulation I get from the job. The international travel is tiring and I do quite a bit of it. Not sure exactly when I will pull the plug but could be within the next year or two.

Could work part time after that if I want, as a sales engineer. We'll see.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats, enjoy!!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I told one person that I had pushed the button, and several others came by to congratulate me. My target date has been known for a couple months, but it still felt good.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of work I'm trying to finish, getting a new application finished and documented before July. On the other hand, if I don't finish, what are they going to do, fire me?
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's the same attitude I had -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey I am in petro-chemicals, south of you in the alvin lake jackson area.
Congrats on retirement, there are so many people retiring THEN they are bringing people back to help consult. We have a huge dcs upgrade going on as I write this.
Again congrats on pulling the trigger. Maybe last year for me STILL trying to figure this stuff out. One good thing I do have vanguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on the pending retirement. I am an engineer also, it does get frustrating dealing with the non-technical administrative and corporate BS. Since you are an engineer, just let your logical side lead the path in retirement, and you know it will workout successfully.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another engineer here - seems like we're in good company
Wishing you the best of success and happiness! Congrats!!

Keep us posted on your journey
Prime Number is offline   Reply With Quote