Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't think that you will likely ever have a better time to chase your dream so it is something worth considering.

How easy or hard do you think it would be to get another job? Could your family at least tread water financially between unemployment and what your wife makes? Most important of all, what does she think about this idea?

My off-the-cuff is that it might be worth giving it a go for 3-6 months and then assess its potential at the end of that period, especially if your job skills would not go stale and whatever you do is in high demand.

If it might be hard for you to get another job, then perhaps pursue this venture and job hunt at the same time and if you end up getting a job offer then you'll have a tough decision to make.

Is it possible for you to work part-time (say a couple days a week) and also pursue this venture? (especially after unemployment has run out).

+1. I'd say that working hard, making a product that fills a demand it pretty tangible. To have the drive and talent to repeat this week after week is no small thing.

Good luck. Please heed the advice of the above posters. Consider your DW's well being; be sure to value her gut feelings too.

Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by DouglasFirs View Post
My question is, even if tons of money isn't falling onto my lap this very moment. It feels, to me.... Let me rephrase that. Everything inside of me. My gut, my mind, my soul is saying "GO FOR IT, THIS IS YOUR CHANCE, SHOW EVERYONE WHAT IT CAN DO" should I do it? Should I work on this youtube project as a full-time job and try to make it grow? There are people making 6 figure salaries on youtube, it's insane.... I honestly think this idea can be right there with them but it would have to be treated as a full time job. I can't be working 9 hour days at a day job and then working evenings until 3am working on my youtube project. I was doing that every day when I was releasing stuff and it whooped my arse!

Sorry for the long rant, I know this is a Early Retirement thread but this is all money related and future related... I just don't think I could work for someone ever again. It's not my cup of tea! My talents definitely shine in other areas, specifically with this project I have been doing....

We did something similar, but we were able to live off the spouse's salary with the day job for many years and bank the other income. There are many Adsense millionaires out there:

Here is a cool book on the subject with some dated advice, but many of the general concepts are timeless - make money with many niche content and products during paradigm shifts. I think Youtube and apps are a couple of the current shifts.

The Incredible Secret Money Machine

I've made money doing different online activities for many years, going with the flow on where is there easy money and low competition, which changes every few years as new products get developed and old markets / ways of doing business get saturated.

The people that I saw go down in flames only had one kind of product that was easily duplicated, needed their highly volatile and unstable Adsense, advertising, product sales or affiliate program income to pay fixed expenses like employee salaries or their personal mortgage, lived paycheck to paycheck, lost their rankings or were kicked out of the program they were using (fairly or unfairly - it happens) or their program / game / site simply faded out of popularity and then they went broke. Many made had a ton of money and let it all slip through their fingers.

The people that didn't have savings to live off of or spousal support that succeeded often worked two jobs for a time (a day job and their online business) and only dropped the day job when they had a couple of years savings in the bank and their online income exceeded or matched the day job income.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would like to recommend to OP that you try a subscription to Fortune magazine also. You can definitely get inspiration from the magazine, and maybe identify a future employer or two.

There is an article in the Aug issue about Nugget Markets, for example. Or you can skim down the list of the global 500 list to identify the largest companies in the world,based on revenue.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
Back when our kids were born we were driving crappy cars & they didn't seem to mind at all) Don't buy a car until you can afford it.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote