I think the BS bucket is full.. joining class of 2013?

Wanting to leave early and getting paid to do so, it doesn't get any better than that, congrats!

"Just one more ..." thoughts that creep into the mind
"...bonus is only a couple months away, stick it out" ... "need a new roof so a few more pay checks wouldn't hurt" "if I get downsized I get five months pay"... "could use a tv and maybe some appliances" ... by then it's Fall and the creep says "why FIRE into the cold winter, wait til' Spring" then wash,rinse, repeat "... bounus is only a couple months away ....

Congratulatios JustWalkAway! that is great! For me it's scary leaving a GS14/6,although I plan to go 010314. I haven't figured out how to use the FIRE calcu for a Fed CSRS retirement. Good luck !

Congratulatios JustWalkAway! that is great! For me it's scary leaving a GS14/6,although I plan to go 010314. I haven't figured out how to use the FIRE calcu for a Fed CSRS retirement. Good luck !

Cassie, I believe you put the CSRS in the 'Pensions, "off Chart" Spending Changes, etc.' under the 'other spending/income' tab.

I'm envious. Last buy out at Mega was 2009 and now we're short of experienced people . It's nice to see there's still hope out there. Good Luck and Best Wishes

I didn't chicken out ....I did it!! Last day was today. Thrilled to be FIREed! So many folks were stunned that I could leave employment while so young. Yippee!

I didn't chicken out ....I did it!! Last day was today. Thrilled to be FIREed! So many folks were stunned that I could leave employment while so young. Yippee!
Congratulations and good luck!

Congrats on freedom and on not chickening out and OMY'ing!

You are my hero !!! I chicken out at least twice a day. Congratulations on your freedom. I am looking forward to reading about your ER days !

Thank you all! It was a bit strange to quit a high paid job, but boy I am happier already! Most of my co-workers were simply envious. I worked for a once great institution that well...isn't quite as great now. While I wasn't happy at work, I can' t complain about the place. It funded my ER while raising two children while both my husband and I worked. Now I am free to explore all of the delights of the San Francisco Bay area with my almost teenage sons. Life really has been very very good to me. Not sure when one half of a couple quits if it is really ER ? We still have a paycheck until my husband calls it quits. It really is ER for me though.

Thank you all! It was a bit strange to quit a high paid job, but boy I am happier already! Most of my co-workers were simply envious. I worked for a once great institution that well...isn't quite as great now. While I wasn't happy at work, I can' t complain about the place. It funded my ER while raising two children while both my husband and I worked. Now I am free to explore all of the delights of the San Francisco Bay area with my almost teenage sons. Life really has been very very good to me. Not sure when one half of a couple quits if it is really ER ? We still have a paycheck until my husband calls it quits. It really is ER for me though.

How long do you think it will be until DH is able to join the ER ranks? My DW will be able to ER in about 4 years, I am "hoping" to bail at the same time but I have not hit my target number yet. I am about 4 years older than she is.

DH can leave now, but he just isn't ready to. He is thinking about Dec 2013, Feb 2014 or most likely June 2014.

Congratulations! But here's my observation on one's tolerance for BS. It declines with age and amount of BS tolerated. However, if you think you cannot stand anymore now, after you've been "out" for a year or two, imagine returning to it. Things I put up with with a mere shrug a few years ago make me wonder now how on earth did I ever put up with that!

I think that's a message for those who want out but are not really QUITE there; if you plan on returning to your old career if things get slim, you may find it more than distasteful.

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful day here, took the hounds for a 2 mile walk around a lake in some unusually crisp weather, am preparing to take DW out for lunch. As my hat says, Life is Good.

Congratulations! But here's my observation on one's tolerance for BS. It declines with age and amount of BS tolerated. However, if you think you cannot stand anymore now, after you've been "out" for a year or two, imagine returning to it. Things I put up with with a mere shrug a few years ago make me wonder now how on earth did I ever put up with that!

I think that's a message for those who want out but are not really QUITE there; if you plan on returning to your old career if things get slim, you may find it more than distasteful.

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful day here, took the hounds for a 2 mile walk around a lake in some unusually crisp weather, am preparing to take DW out for lunch. As my hat says, Life is Good.

Good observation H2O dude. I was very unusual in that I worked for the same organization for 29 years. I've often wondered if there was always this much BS and I didn't see it when I was young. In reality, I think that both are true--the organization has more BS and I have less tolerance for it. Good that I could leave.

I think that's a message for those who want out but are not really QUITE there; if you plan on returning to your old career if things get slim, you may find it more than distateful.

I agree. I am more aware than ever of the BS associated with w*rk and wonder how I put up with it for so long. Not just administrative BS, but exhaustion, being responsible for things you can't control, the stress associated with avoiding errors, and the potential consequences of errors. I was reminded of this when reading an incident report recently. It happened far away and I was not involved, but I can easily imagine making those mistakes. It sent chills down my spine. Today I received a message from a professional association inviting me to submit my application to be screened as a volunteer for some onerous academic tasks associated with next year's annual meeting. Not!

I'm there now. I have 6 months to go and my boss has turned against me and just thinking of the further bs I have to put up with makes me sick. But I won't let her cause an even earlier departure. I'll just smile through it!

@linny, thanks for sharing....I too have 6 months and was planning to tell my boss Monday....think I'll do it at 3 months. Congratulations just walk away!

Back
Top Bottom