Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
FMLA starting May 15 will get you a full summer to think about retirement. Find a reason like taking care of a parent or child or having mental health issues, go to a shrink and tell them the job is stressing you and ask if you should take 12 weeks off. Take a week or two of vacation in April then have already authorized a vacation in September and November, you already have reservations that can't be changed. So you can get about 4 months off the next 9 months if you try hard. My last job had a man take 9 weeks off to bicycle South America a year or so before he was serious about retirement.

old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
I like the advice about trying to eat up the time while not working .

Assuming that doesn't work or is MORE stressful... I think about it like this (and talk with my DW this way.. on the same page thank goodness)...

Once you are comfortably in the RE zone which I believe you are... work moves into the "do this if I want to" zone.

If course getting paid different amounts for different things even after RE is not a black or white decision. Of course most people won't work for free... but many REd people would probably do 20 hrs a week for a year if it paid 10 million, for example.

So where is this on the 0-10 million line for you?

We'll... I assume you around 140K/year in income from various sources. If you work another 9 months, you add 10K, which is 7%. Assuming you live 40 years, that means you left 400K on the table, so instead of the 5.6 million (140*40) you'd have 5.8 over that time. MANY things outside your control can have a much bigger impact so as a % increase to your safety net, that amount seems small.

The other side is "how much stress?" Let's say the stress takes 1-2 years off your life (1 year less in ER + 1-2 lost years of stress). If you don't need money would you trade that for 400K (or 380 )?

Further you could try to anticipate how much stress can impact the quality of that retirement, etc.

My gut is if your job is nothing but stress and you're just hoping every day it will end, it makes little sense financially in your current situation. Of course if you will be laden with guilt for leaving 10K/yr on the table that's another thing. Just imagine... if you work a few more years you'll have even more and need even less!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I pulled the trigger! Today is my last day. Thanks again for all the comments and advice. Both DH and I are quite happy with the decision. I think I am still trying to process that once I leave today....... My time is all MINE! I guess it will become more real in a couple of days. Looking forward to Sunday night euphoria.

Woo Hoo!!
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:03 AM   #44
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Well done. Well done, indeed!
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #46
Congratulations on your freedom.
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Congratulations. Ease into it and don't force it. You will know when you are happy with your choices, post retirement.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
Wow... Congrats.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #49
Well Done! Enjoyed reading this thread.
Retired July 2013 at age 49.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
Congrats! Enjoy the fruits of your labor! You earned it.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
Congratulations! Glad you pulled the plug! I also enjoyed this thread as my plans are in motion for August.
Something resonated in me when it was stated "If one of you found out you were terminally ill...", to some degree we are all terminally ill; maybe short term or long term, but time on this earth is finite.
FIRE reality = Aug 25, 2016
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #52
Interesting post. We retired early at 59, well earlier than planned. So glad I did.

Fed up of the job, the hours, the politics, and the pressure at megacorp. What did it was the realization that it was not about the money, it was about the time we had left to do the things we wanted. Once we got our heads around that the decision was a no brainer for us. Fortunately we had the financial resources to make the decision.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets
Terrific news - Enjoy!!!!!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
WOO HOO!!!!! Congratulations. You will enjoy your well-deserved retirement, I'm sure.

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #55
Congratulations, enjoy!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
Is there any way there could be an FMLA leave in your future? Many companies have very lenient FMLA policies.

So, a few FMLA months, a month back in the office, and you're 55 and you get the bigger pension.

An aging parent who needs care, perhaps? Just trying to think outside the box. If there's a system, you might as well work it.

I see this kind of FLMA abuse all the time. From my experience more people use FLMA for time off than for what it was really set up for. The government set up a heavy tax on companies to help a few truly needy people and many more people abuse the system. They need to make FLMA much harder to take or do away with this open checkbook. Personally I rarely took any sick time and never took FMLA. This kind of work ethic lead to my FIRE. Work Ethic = FIRE
FIRE July 2015
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets
Congratulations on your decision! I too am a long time lurker, first time poster.
I think one of the things that will help you is the fact that your husband is going to keep working, so you can live off his salary and not touch the nest egg until he pulls the plug.
CoAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets
Wow, this DustyMom is super fast to make decisions. Congratulations!!
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets
ďAdvice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didnít.Ē

Erica Jong

Or we're just nervous about doing it.
Wisdom starts with wonder
KCGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets
Well done!! Congratulations!

tdv2 is online now   Reply With Quote