I want to walk, DH worried!

For that much income, I would stick around and leave at 55. Even nine months will fly by if you back away emotionally from the job now. Take those vacation days if you are not paid for them when you leave and be sure to use up all that sick leave for your mental health. If you have a lot of vacation, use it up at the end to shorten the time left. Show up, do what is required, and smile a lot. It's amazing what a little detachment can do for your attitude.

That 10K in pension money is tied to the many years of hard work you have done. Try a spreadsheet that includes all the holidays, all your vacation days, any sick leave you might have access to. What's your companies position on unpaid time off? Do you have any lingering health issues that might need attention and keep you away from work? Now you know how many days you need to work to collect that money.

Perhaps you can plan a long vacation saying you are burnt out and considering retiring..you might either get a package or people might back off a little so you have some breathing room.

$10,000 annually for 9 months of work is a lot to give up, even if one doesn't need the money.

In addition to taking as much time off as possible, they could ease the stress by doing the minimum required and by tuning out the BS. Knowing the end is near should make it a lot easier to go through the motions and not care.

You don't need the $ and are sick of working so go. Enjoy:))

I gave notice in September 2014 and left July 1, 2015. Those 9 months were alternating hell and boredom. I stayed for a lump sum of $45k. That was worth it for me because that was the last of the cash I needed to cover expenses until 2017. I am no where near your $$ in assets and my spending is somewhat lower. If I had the $$ you did, I would have walked away with 2 weeks notice and not looked back. This is a decision that is personal and not financial.

Worrying about what you are leaving on the table instead of what you will receive can lead to the one more year syndrome. Focus on having all you need, not on getting as much as you can. Just my opinion.

Nanosour, I think your response resonated most for me. You are right, this is not a financial decision for me. I could care less about the extra $10,000 because I have felt for at least a couple of years now that we are overfunded for the lifestyle we choose to lead. My biggest fear is that I'm going to be 80 years old, not in the best of health, looking at a pile of money in the bank and thinking... "Why didn't we retire 5 years earlier?"

My wonderful DH has allowed me to handle everything finance-related since before we were married because I enjoy it and he hates it. He has his own areas of strength and interests that I don't share and am happy to leave to him. Because I spend hours pouring over my retirement spreadsheet it seems obvious to me that we don't need that $10k, but he doesn't have the same relationship with the details, sees a reduction in what was planned and fears we will be living on cat food.

He's been reading posts on this forum, asking questions and getting a more fleshed out perspective on retirement, including non- financial considerations. He is at least 90% on-board now - maybe a little residual fear, but supportive. I have all of you to thank for offering so many points of view. We will continue to discuss all the little details but I believe I will pull the trigger in the next couple of months. I imagine I will be posting more once I get back those 12 hours a day that are making me so miserable!

Good for you, DustyMom! Hope we can help you two figure out a date that works for both of you - hopefully sooner rather than later!

Good for you, DustyMom! Hope we can help you two figure out a date that works for both of you - hopefully sooner rather than later!

Yes the longer you wait the closer that pension money is, so it just get more complicated.:)

If you end up needing more money you could probably find a hobby job to make up the extra $10K a year that might even be something you enjoyed or found rewarding.

I think a few years back, if it were me in your shoes, I would have toughed it out for the extra money. But these days, knowing what we know now, and how many people we know who have gotten ill or passed away without enjoying much if any retirement, with your retirement income and assets I'd probably pick the time freedom over the extra money.

Last edited:
Is there any way there could be an FMLA leave in your future? Many companies have very lenient FMLA policies.

So, a few FMLA months, a month back in the office, and you're 55 and you get the bigger pension.

An aging parent who needs care, perhaps? Just trying to think outside the box. If there's a system, you might as well work it.

You guys are the best!

Maybe between all your responses and my Powerpoint presentation :LOL: my husband can get comfortable. Sheeesh! I really need to leave the corporate world. <snip>

I think you're kidding (!) but believe it or not, a while back I recall reading a post in one of these forums by someone who actually did put together a powerpoint presentation to persuade their reluctant spouse (can't remember now if it was husband or wife) that they had enough to take the leap. If I recall correctly, Firecalc figured prominently in the slides. :LOL:

Good luck, and here's hoping you and your hubby are soon 100% on the same page. :dance:

Heh, heh, heh.

Yes, Calico I was kidding. That was a jab at my workplace where no communication can take place without a Powerpoint deck. One of many reasons I am desperate to leave.

We did sit down and go through Firecalc together though.

We seem to be on the same page now..... believing it will work but still a little nervous about leaving the accumulation phase. Normal, I guess.

I just entered myself into the Class of 2016 thread!

You look to be covered financially. It really comes down to a judgement call, you are quite unhappy at w*rk, and maybe it is time.

From the manner in which you have explained your situation, put you job in the rear view mirror and enjoy the fruits of your labor!! Congratulations!!

Heh, heh, heh.

Yes, Calico I was kidding. That was a jab at my workplace where no communication can take place without a Powerpoint deck. One of many reasons I am desperate to leave.

We did sit down and go through Firecalc together though.

We seem to be on the same page now..... believing it will work but still a little nervous about leaving the accumulation phase. Normal, I guess.

I just entered myself into the Class of 2016 thread!

I too work in the Land of Perpetual Powerpoint. {sigh}

Great to hear you are both on the same page now. :dance:

FMLA starting May 15 will get you a full summer to think about retirement. Find a reason like taking care of a parent or child or having mental health issues, go to a shrink and tell them the job is stressing you and ask if you should take 12 weeks off. Take a week or two of vacation in April then have already authorized a vacation in September and November, you already have reservations that can't be changed. So you can get about 4 months off the next 9 months if you try hard. My last job had a man take 9 weeks off to bicycle South America a year or so before he was serious about retirement.

I like the advice about trying to eat up the time while not working :).

Assuming that doesn't work or is MORE stressful... I think about it like this (and talk with my DW this way.. on the same page thank goodness)...

Once you are comfortably in the RE zone which I believe you are... work moves into the "do this if I want to" zone.

If course getting paid different amounts for different things even after RE is not a black or white decision. Of course most people won't work for free... but many REd people would probably do 20 hrs a week for a year if it paid 10 million, for example.

So where is this on the 0-10 million line for you?

We'll... I assume you around 140K/year in income from various sources. If you work another 9 months, you add 10K, which is 7%. Assuming you live 40 years, that means you left 400K on the table, so instead of the 5.6 million (140*40) you'd have 5.8 over that time. MANY things outside your control can have a much bigger impact so as a % increase to your safety net, that amount seems small.

The other side is "how much stress?" Let's say the stress takes 1-2 years off your life (1 year less in ER + 1-2 lost years of stress). If you don't need money would you trade that for 400K (or 380 :) )?

Further you could try to anticipate how much stress can impact the quality of that retirement, etc.

My gut is if your job is nothing but stress and you're just hoping every day it will end, it makes little sense financially in your current situation. Of course if you will be laden with guilt for leaving 10K/yr on the table that's another thing. Just imagine... if you work a few more years you'll have even more and need even less!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

UPDATE:

I pulled the trigger! Today is my last day. Thanks again for all the comments and advice. Both DH and I are quite happy with the decision. I think I am still trying to process that once I leave today....... My time is all MINE! I guess it will become more real in a couple of days. Looking forward to Sunday night euphoria.

Woo Hoo!!

Congratulations on your freedom.

Congratulations. Ease into it and don't force it. You will know when you are happy with your choices, post retirement.

Back
Top Bottom