Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi meleana,
I have lived in NH since 1983. Contact me if you would like any info or opinions on where to look for homes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Hi meleana,
I have lived in NH since 1983. Contact me if you would like any info or opinions on where to look for homes.

Hello again. I see there are some nice affordable homes being built in Weirs Beach Village on Memory Lane. We are familiar with Weirs Beach area as we have driven by there in summer and taken the MS Mt Washington out.

But am not sure what it would be like to live there. Our son works in Laconia and lives in Plymouth. Do you know anything about Weirs Beach Village?

I have not heard good things about Laconia in terms of crime, but I am still open to living there as there are some nice areas.

We are also looking at Concord. We are going to check out a CCRC for independent living.

We really want a new- but small- house in a community or at least one that is very updated and all one level and so forth. Would love it to be for 55+.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #43

Best decision I’ve made in a long time...
Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I was blessed not to have a short sighted management team and pathetic raises most of my career but I do remember watching the " the new enthusiastic managers come and go" and after 3 rotations of them, that cynical feeling that overcame me! Once we were bought out I quickly got my pink slip and fired turned into FIRE'd Been happy as ever since.
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Another Wednesday, time for an update…..
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Wednesday, time for an update…..

I finished work as expected in late September, had a very happy (at least from my end) exit interview with HR that I attended via conference call while enjoying a quiet drink on the beach. The questions were exactly as expected, why am I leaving, are there any issues I would like to address, etc.? I just let it all go by, after all, since nobody asked about me while I was working there, why on earth would they care why I was leaving?
Since then, I have been helping a friend with a renovation project on a volunteer basis, but I have worked on it almost full-time. It has been great to do something completely different for the past few months with no pressure, no reports, no updates and no micromanagement. Our dog is back to her fighting weight as a result of several walks every day and I am feeling great too.
I do hear from my former coworkers occasionally and I understand I have missed yet another new sheriff that has ridden into town. Financially, things are good, I am able to live on a lot less than I was making while working and I certainly do not miss the job. My wife is still working and has health benefits so that is also covered.
The renovation project is coming to an end so I will do some bits and pieces around the house for a few weeks and see if my kids need any odd jobs done, life is good.
I hope it is for you too…
Humbooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everything sounds great. I am glad retirement is going well. There is nothing better as long as the health is good and the finances are in decent shape.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I woke up one morning and knew I was going to retire ASAP. That was the summer when I was 63. It took me awhile to get everything in place because I had a partner and a business. This forum helped me see that I could do it!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had to come back and reread this post this morning. I have been planning to retire in January, 2020. Less then a year away. But the past few months have been the worst work experience of my career. About a year ago I finished up an 18 month detail where O reported directly to the COO. I loved the work. I would routinely put in extra hours because I really enjoyed what I was doing and I was working with a great team. I even received a sizable, unexpected bonus at the end of the project.

When I returned to my old position, I also returned to a new boss. He is young and not confident in hos work. He does not know how to manage people or delegate work. He treats all of his staff this way, but that does not make it right. I was hoping to avoid any major conflicts and make it ten more months. I am not sure I will make it 10 more days. I think sometimes you just know its time to go.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerunner View Post
I had to come back and reread this post this morning. I have been planning to retire in January, 2020. Less then a year away. But the past few months have been the worst work experience of my career. About a year ago I finished up an 18 month detail where O reported directly to the COO. I loved the work. I would routinely put in extra hours because I really enjoyed what I was doing and I was working with a great team. I even received a sizable, unexpected bonus at the end of the project.

When I returned to my old position, I also returned to a new boss. He is young and not confident in hos work. He does not know how to manage people or delegate work. He treats all of his staff this way, but that does not make it right. I was hoping to avoid any major conflicts and make it ten more months. I am not sure I will make it 10 more days. I think sometimes you just know its time to go.

Well- that is pretty much exactly what happened to me and I had 3 years to go for SS. (I am 62). After 7 months dealing with the idiot, I had enough and I gave a months notice and that was it. Gone by the end of Sept. I just couldn't do it anymore.

So- yes- I have less income- just my husband's, who is desperately wanting to retire and probably will next year. It is all very scary but if I were you and you only have less than a year anyway, I would go now. Why torture yourself?
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Welcome to the world of "Mondays are the new Saturdays"!

Rule 1. throw away the alarm clock.
Rule 2. cargo shorts and T-shirts are the official uniform.
Rule 3. naps are mandatory.
Not ashamed to be in pajamas all day at home
No more of that crap cafeteria food at work and processed junk food that I used to eat at work that everyone brings to work to share
I have trained my body to wake up at 0515 in any time zone then go to the gym and work out with my fellow early retirees buddies.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
Well- that is pretty much exactly what happened to me and I had 3 years to go for SS. (I am 62). After 7 months dealing with the idiot, I had enough and I gave a months notice and that was it. Gone by the end of Sept. I just couldn't do it anymore.

So- yes- I have less income- just my husband's, who is desperately wanting to retire and probably will next year. It is all very scary but if I were you and you only have less than a year anyway, I would go now. Why torture yourself?
Thanks - I plan to run the numbers and look at options over the next week. I am 90% confident that if I left now and took six months off, I could work in the same field fairly easily.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerunner View Post

I just reread this thread. I have been lurking for weeks and this topic gave me the gumption to sign up here.

I am driving myself crazy trying to put up with the job experience for 2MY. I also hate the 1 hr commute (one way) to work. And the 40% travel.

Glad to know I am not alone.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote