Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I woke up Wednesday morning
Old 08-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I woke up Wednesday morning in a good mood and decided I had worked here long enough, 30 years to be exact. How can that have happened? It is as if a whole lifetime has gone by and I am still here. I have seen it all, the new enthusiastic managers come and go. The new sheriff rides into town on a brand new horse full of ideas on how the business will grow thanks to him of course. The same old cliché loaded speeches, the same miserable pay raises, the same old finger pointing for every perceived mistake. Reading the company annual report to see how many new options the management team awarded themselves this year.
Retirement is something I have been thinking about for some time but always said I will give it another while, maybe another year or two, another few thousand in the bank, and so on it went, until Wednesday…
I will continue at work for another few weeks to get most of the loose ends wrapped up and then leave. It is strange what a freeing feeling it is to have finally quit, all my anger and frustration have suddenly gone away leaving me with a strange empty, but very happy feeling. I am left wondering what on earth did I have to worry about? This work stuff is not really important at all, I should have done it ages ago.
I am 60 years old now. I hope I have enough money to get by, but I am confident I will pick up a lots of tips on this website. I only discovered it a few weeks ago and am very glad to be amongst you all.
Humbooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 04:18 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

welcome to the forum ,

i guess the tips on budgeting and saving will greatly interest you then

( and don't forget the humor threads to help put a smile on your faces some days )

but there is plenty to read and learn here , enjoy

PS maybe a full medical before you retire might be a great idea as well ( help you guesstimate future medical expenses )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great first post, Humbooster.
Congrats!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and welcome!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the group! Sounds like your BS bucket was full. It happened to a lot of us; I quit at age 61.

The people here are a great resource. We look forward to more of your posts.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Hum! I recently gave notice and the weight/stress was lifted from my shoulders. Good luck on the start of your new life. Live every day to its fullest!
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the world of "Mondays are the new Saturdays"!

Rule 1. throw away the alarm clock.
Rule 2. cargo shorts and T-shirts are the official uniform.
Rule 3. naps are mandatory.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Congratulations! That's a momentous decision!
This is a great place to hang out - I know that reading the posts here at the FIRE forums has really helped me work on framing my plans for the future. I stop by every single day, to dream and plan. I'm almost where you are...almost...
You might want to think about running your numbers through FireCalc, if you haven't already.
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbooster View Post
I woke up Wednesday morning in a good mood and decided I had worked here long enough...
Wonderful to hear that, Humbooster. Most people have said to me "You'll know when it's time" so I've often wondered if that meant I'd wake up one morning and suddenly know it with certainty, but this is the first time I've heard that really happened!

For many of us including me the process has been a drawn-out, tortured one. But we're getting there!

Look forward to reading your posts.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Humbuster. I can relate. I am 62 and one day last year I simply decided it was time. I agree that somehow you will know. Now Ive been RE'd for 7 months and it took me a good 6 months to come to fully know I made the right decision. Congrats for having the nerves to make the plunge. Don't look back!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbooster View Post
Great start!
Now just keep adding another wakeup each succeeding day and all will be well.

Quote:
I hope I have enough money to get by, but I am confident I will pick up a lots of tips on this website.
You've probably seen this, but just in case you missed it, this is a useful link for many:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html
Old 08-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post

Nailed it! As an official retiree and highly decorated slacker, I'm anointing brucethrbroker to the position of Retirement Rule Maker. Effective immediately, bruce will either issue or approve all retirement rules. That'll be all.

Welcome Humbooster!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Amen

Since retiring on June 1st I have worn long pants about 8 times total and that is counting Church.

Naps! Are! Awesome!

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

This thread has made me so happy, because it reminded me of how thrilling it was to be on the brink of retirement. Pretty terrific feeling. I was 61 when I retired.

Quote:

Well, roughly so. Can I modify them slightly to fit my retirement better? In my case, every day's a Saturday, and:

Rule 1. I replaced my alarm clock with one that plays gentle bird songs that slowly awaken me. Personally I need to set an alarm or I start sleeping later and later, and going to bed later and later. I don't like this because I get out of synch with the rest of the world. Apparently this does not happen to most people.

Rule 2. Gym shorts and t-shirts are my official uniform. Sweatpants in January and February when it is too cold for gym shorts. Sandals in the summer, running shoes in the winter.

Rule 3. Naps are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Funny thing, I hated naps when I was a toddler! But love them now.

Welcome to the Early Retirement Forum and again, congratulations on your impending retirement!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

Welcome and thirty years is enough for anyone on the rat tread wheel chasing the cheese.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The best post of the Day!!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Rule 1. I replaced my alarm clock with one that plays gentle bird songs that slowly awaken me. Personally I need to set an alarm or I start sleeping later and later, and going to bed later and later. I don't like this because I get out of synch with the rest of the world. Apparently this does not happen to most people.
+1

I have this same issue...and same solution!!
Skoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome and congrats - you "put your time in" on the work treadmill and now it is time to enjoy life. Have fun!
Ready2Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats my friend! As I type this, I have 6 days left to work.Yes I have planned for retirement for years however,the decision was made in 1 week. Walked into work one morning and realized my heart was no where to be found!
Looking forward to a few months of "nothing".After I will make some decisions on my day to day routine.
Enjoy!
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheulen View Post
Walked into work one morning and realized my heart was no where to be found!
Love that quote! Congrats on your retirement.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote