Ice hockey, dachshunds and being afraid to cut the cord...

Okay here goes. I don't have as much as a lot of people here so I feel poor lol.

1.4MM and some change in a Bernstein portfolio. 2013 returns were 12.4%, 2014 4.8% and YTD 4.0%

Despite that my siblings and I tell my parents to stop, mom and dad give the max the IRS allows as gift yearly, so 28k per year, when one dies it will be 14k, and eventually there will be a minimum of 1MM for each kid. Parents are very comfortable relative to getting older and have great care so they are not taking away from their needs to give the kids money. (I still feel guilty as heck).

My expenses, and I'm adding 800 per month for healthcare (I've not yet bought the policy but of course will lose employer sponsored plan when I bail) are 3k monthly. I've got a mortgage, no credit card dept, both cars are paid off (2010 Cayman and 2014 Ford Edge).
So mortgage, gas bill, electric and all that rot, health insurance, groceries, fun stuff, and some pad is only 3k monthly.

I know there will be expenses that are unseen, home repairs, vet bills, but I'm also going to be cutting way back on things (no more Christian Louboutin shoes lol).

Ok I feel like an idiot putting all that out there I'm afraid I'm going to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Ok I feel like an idiot putting all that out there I'm afraid I'm going to fail.

The only thing in your post that comes remotely close to qualifying for that "i" word is feeling poor with a nest egg of $1.4M. Unless you do something really stupid you've got the financial side of retirement made. :)

The only thing in your post that comes remotely close to qualifying for that "i" word is feeling poor with a nest egg of $1.4M. Unless you do something really stupid you've got the financial side of retirement made. :)

Hahaha thanks for the smack upside the head.
I worry that so how I will still end up homeless living under a pier eating discarded fish bait.
😇

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm thinking that a s l o w e r slide into RE might be in order. Do check out the suggestion about a parttime job. You are already il in' pretty lean but you could see how you would live on your projected retirement budget of it is much lower.
Your dogs might like fish bait diet, mine always did. Just don't let them roll in it.
Seriously, I think you need to initially get away from the stress and then see what you really want to do.
Bon Chance!

Ice hockey is now out because of my back, but I am stretched out on the edge of the couch because my Dachshund is hogging it.
Quite surprised that there are so many of these ferocious rodents mentioned though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom