Ideas for a good second act/backstory?

Henry Lili

Recycles dryer sheets
First, the background: 46 this month, no kids, in a long term relationship, own my home with small mortgage no other debt. Been crunching numbers in every calculator known to mankind :) built 50 year spreadsheets, and have been setting up an investment income stream (mostly stocks with growing dividends/IG bonds/and a touch or two of riskier assets) for the last 4 years that covers 90% of expenses - will likley cover 100% in the not too distant future given cash ready to invest as I average myself in a bit more (mix now:50E/20B/30C) and as those wonderful dividends continue to grow. I'll wait on the "ladies and gents" in DC to see just how much they don't do in the next few months but, heck, if I wait on DC I'll FIRE when i die. So.....

May not be be a question for this forum but I'd like to keep my FIRE private (so, yes I now post it on the web) I've been trying to come up with a good plan/idea to tell co-workers/neighbors and extended family. My FIRE/finances not really anyone's business/consern.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Henry Lili said:
First, the background: 46 this month, no kids, in a long term relationship, own my home with small mortgage no other debt.... .

I don't think you need to tell anyone anything about your finances. I have always assumed that my friends who shared your status were continuing to work much past your age because they enjoyed it (and good for them), not because they could not afford to quit. You seem to have your financual bases covered.

One of my co-workers checked out last year, and we bugged the daylights out of him with this question. It was only when I started realizing that I will be in line behind him what we were doing was rude. I feel kind of ashamed.

He kept saying "I don't know". I'm going to come up with a different story.

Taxes interest me, and I might become a registered preparer. Haven't decided for sure. But even if I don't, I'll do my own. So, my answer is going to be "I'm going to prepare taxes". That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Why tell anybody? Just do it. Take a 4-week vacation. You will be surprised how fast people will forget you.

If family or real friends ask, tell them you just want to do something different now. If they ask, What? tell them you are still working on it and you've saved up enough to keep you together in the meantime.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum.
May not be be a question for this forum but I'd like to keep my FIRE private (so, yes I now post it on the web) I've been trying to come up with a good plan/idea to tell co-workers/neighbors and extended family. My FIRE/finances not really anyone's business/consern.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Honestly, nobody ever asked me about my finances when I retired, even though this was during the 2008-2009 recession and I was obviously pinching my pennies pretty severely. However, one or two seemed a little concerned. So to them, I said something like, "Yes, I have been checking and re-checking, and my finances are in order and sound so it seems like a good time to retire." They seemed relieved upon hearing this, and did not ask for any detail.

People just want to feel sure that you will be OK. My friends and family all know that I am cautious and mathematically literate so this was enough to reassure them.

I don't think you need to tell anyone anything about your finances. I have always assumed that my friends who shared your status were continuing to work much past your age because they enjoyed it (and good for them), not because they could not afford to quit. You seem to have your financual bases covered.

Why tell anybody? Just do it. Take a 4-week vacation. You will be surprised how fast people will forget you.

If family or real friends ask, tell them you just want to do something different now. If they ask, What? tell them you are still working on it and you've saved up enough to keep you together in the meantime.
Pretty much my reaction to the OP too. I didn't tell anyone my plans except DW, not even other family. When I announced my retirement at age 57, most people were shocked. I didn't say any more than I had to about why, and I certainly wouldn't field any questions about my finances -NONE. I wouldn't talk about my finances before, why would questions be allowed at any stage in life? I didn't retire to entertain others (or their questions), I retired for myself (and DW).

Honestly, nobody ever asked me about my finances when I retired, even though this was during the 2008-2009 recession and I was obviously pinching my pennies pretty severely.

This was very close to my experience too. In fact, I've had the opposite problem from Henry Lili in that I've been hoping people would ask me how I can afford not to work so that I can pass on a few basic guidelines. No such luck. My guess is that most people either think it's not polite to ask those kind of questions, or they're simply not interested because they have never seriously pondered the possibility of ER themselves.

For all you frequent posters, this question comes up often enough that we could use a volunteer to collect all the similar threads into a FAQ Archives post.

If you're interested, take a look at the FAQ Archives (Early Retirement FAQs - Page 2 - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community) and start searching your memory (or the keywords) for good answers to "What do you say?"

Back
Top Bottom