Join Early Retirement Today

Im new to this
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Im new to this

Hi everyone! I'm 28 and my wife is also 28. I wanted to see how financially dependent we are from others. My wife and I make about 140k annually and I max out my 401k while also contributing to a Roth IRA for her and myself. Together we have about 20k in liquid cash/mm. 11k in Roth IRAs and my 401k is about 30k. Living in ca I have a 260k mortgage at 3.25%. Are we doing okay so far? We plan on buying another house in 3-5 years when our son starts school so all of our money is going into a mm account. Should it be invested elsewhere? Should we be okay to retire at 55-60ish? I think if we retired at 45 we would be bored lol.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

28 seems like a long time ago :-) I think you are on track, but sooooo much depends on your expenses. Just one child? Plan for more kids? We had a lot of success with company stock plans over the years. If you have access to a ESPP, max that out for sure, but make sure you sell before it becomes too much of your net worth. The thing we could have done a better job at is tracking expenses. Just knowing where your money goes makes you think more about your financial priorities. The MM question really depends on your appetite for risk. We have been pretty aggressive over the years. Would have loved to ER at 45. Looks like worst case right now it will be Jan 2015 (54 1/2 for me). You found this forum early so you should be in good shape!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinman2000 View Post
28 seems like a long time ago :-) I think you are on track, but sooooo much depends on your expenses. Just one child? Plan for more kids? We had a lot of success with company stock plans over the years. If you have access to a ESPP, max that out for sure, but make sure you sell before it becomes too much of your net worth. The thing we could have done a better job at is tracking expenses. Just knowing where your money goes makes you think more about your financial priorities. The MM question really depends on your appetite for risk. We have been pretty aggressive over the years. Would have loved to ER at 45. Looks like worst case right now it will be Jan 2015 (54 1/2 for me). You found this forum early so you should be in good shape!
I do have access to ESPP but bank stocks are horrible investments. I do try to track my expenses as much as possible and we are huge coupon clippers. I just want to make sure that my wife and I have enough to retire when we are 55-60. I really don't like taking risks and we want to buy a second property in a few years. This is my reasoning for keeping the money liquid. Should it be invested to make more money in the next few years? We plan on having two kids only and my wife's schedule is pretty accommodating.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Continue to save and enjoy life too. You are doing well. Stay healthy.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To answer your question, you are doing ok. Keep healthy, and make sure you enjoy life. Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phan84 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm 28 and my wife is also 28. I wanted to see how financially dependent we are from others. My wife and I make about 140k annually and I max out my 401k while also contributing to a Roth IRA for her and myself. Together we have about 20k in liquid cash/mm. 11k in Roth IRAs and my 401k is about 30k. Living in ca I have a 260k mortgage at 3.25%. Are we doing okay so far? We plan on buying another house in 3-5 years when our son starts school so all of our money is going into a mm account. Should it be invested elsewhere? Should we be okay to retire at 55-60ish? I think if we retired at 45 we would be bored lol.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote