Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
As before, I again thank you for starting this thread and I am looking forward for best fusion of western and Indian thoughts. To make it happen, it will really good if you could come up with the points, that you are looking answers for (and that being the reason of starting this thread). That way, this conversation will include everybody, rather than just a dialogue between two Mumbaikars.
I am enjoying listening, so don't worry!

Thank you both for posting your insights.

(Your suggestion of tutoring as a way to make extra money is something lots of people do here in the US also. People can control how much time and effort goes into it, as long as they are aware of the big test dates for whatever age-group they work with.)

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm US based, but have been to Mumbai on business. Everyone there told me how great it would be if I moved there, but as a non-Indian I'm not so sure. I certainly know very little about how to find a safe place to live. How does the "retirement" to Mumbai (or elsewhere in India) work for non-Indian Americans?
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Mumbai is one of the safest cities in India.
The city is alive 24 x 7, and I mean it.
There is constant patrolling, 24 x 7; the frequency is increased especially after these terrorists attacks and bomb blasts.
You will hardly find Mumbai roads empty, even at nights you will see few people walking / driving on the roads no matter how late in the night; mostly male, but some times you also see couples and sometimes even girls women walking fearlessly.

Another good and bad thing about Mumbai and for that matter India is the amount corruption. Bad for poor people but good if you have money.
It's good because if you have money, you can get out of any ugly situation without much hassle.
Let me give an example.
In the US, once I drunk 2 glass of wine (my wife was in India that time) and decided to take a walk outside my apartment as I was feeling a bit lonely. It was around 9:30 pm and that road was almost empty. After sometime, a cop's car stops by me, hand cuffs me and puts me in jail on public intoxication charges. WTF I said to myself. I was shocked. The next morning I pleaded guilty in front of the judge, paid some 600$ fine and was then allowed to go back. God forbidden if you are drinking and driving a car there, I don't know what would be the punishment for that.

In India, on the other hand, you can drink till you fall and walk on the middle of the road, try to act as traffic police and control the traffic on roads pee in the middle of the road and still no one would touch you. That's my India and I just love this freedom. In my young age the drinking and driving laws were not so strict; my friends were caught driving drinking beer so many times and most of the times we got away without paying any fine or max. Rs. 50 bribe in those days. Now India is copycatting US and for drink and drive they fine and even put you in jail, depending upon traffic police's mood. But most of the times you pay Rs. 2000 bribe, and they will allow you to go and even let you sit in the drivers seat and allow you to take your vehicle with you. It's just so amazing. Indeed I have never drink and drive, but the freedom is still there if need arises. Since I never get too drunk that I loose my balance, it's all good.

And tell you what, you can even buy marijuana (aka cannabis / bhang) openly in many places of India. Rajasthan is infact the state where there are legal govt. authorised bhang shops. And in Varanasi you can easily find bhang sold openly. So much freedom.

I see some requests for photographs. I am actually planning a trip to Lonavala tomorrow with brothers and friends and salesmen (we have a family run retail shop and we plan trips to Lonavala and such hilllstations during every rainy season). We will be starting early in the morning. I will take some pictures and post it here.
nautanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
I'm US based, but have been to Mumbai on business. Everyone there told me how great it would be if I moved there, but as a non-Indian I'm not so sure. I certainly know very little about how to find a safe place to live. How does the "retirement" to Mumbai (or elsewhere in India) work for non-Indian Americans?
I guess only a non-Indian foreigner would be able to answer this best. Since I am so used to this place, I found the migration back to India pretty natural and smooth.
There are a few forums, such as India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com which may answer your questions.
But for anyone to find out the feasibility about any place, is to actually go there and spend a few months at a stretch; but that's just me, every person is different and has different expectations depending upon their present lifestyle.

If you really ask me, why settle in one place? If I had the freedom, I would roam around India and around the world. Spend no more than a couple of years at a place and see and "experience" the entire world in this lifespan.

Every second gone is gone, you can never buy it back, no matter how wealthy or powerful you are.
nautanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautanki View Post
In the US, once I drunk 2 glass of wine (my wife was in India that time) and decided to take a walk outside my apartment as I was feeling a bit lonely. It was around 9:30 pm and that road was almost empty. After sometime, a cop's car stops by me, hand cuffs me and puts me in jail on public intoxication charges. WTF I said to myself. I was shocked. The next morning I pleaded guilty in front of the judge, paid some 600$ fine and was then allowed to go back...

In India, on the other hand, you can drink till you fall and walk on the middle of the road, try to act as traffic police and control the traffic on roads pee in the middle of the road and still no one would touch you. That's my India and I just love this freedom. In my young age the drinking and driving laws were not so strict; my friends were caught driving drinking beer so many times and most of the times we got away without paying any fine or max. Rs. 50 bribe in those days
Freedom to wander the streets and drive while drunk, bribe the judge, and pee wherever you want. Ah, the good old days .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Freedom to wander the streets and drive while drunk, bribe the judge, and pee wherever you want. Ah, the good old days .
Guess it all depends on your point of view! Those freedoms wouldn't really appeal to me, either. I'd love the freedom to walk around at night safely by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautanki
even at nights you will see few people walking / driving on the roads no matter how late in the night; mostly male, but some times you also see couples and sometimes even girls women walking fearlessly.
It sounds like girls and women are not often found walking alone at night. To me that indicates that perhaps they are not so fearless about doing that. Either that, or more likely it just is not considered to be an acceptable to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
If you search on the internet (Expat + India, Mumbai,etc) I am sure you will find a forum for English speaking ex-pats who could help you with your questions or at the very least make for interesting reading.

Before moving to Peru, I lurked on other forums to glean relevant information on cost of living,security,culture,medical care, etc.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote