Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Start drinking the wine earlier in the day and see what happens.

Hey Walt, dont those wheels on the bottom of your boat make for a little excess drag when in the water?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I finish work in a couple of weeks my situation will be similar to yours. However, I am prepared as it is only the past 2 years that I returned to the workforce.

Things that I have found work for me include the following;

1. Don't obsess about housework. What I used to do was clean 1 rooms a day. However, even though I am going to be a house-mouse next month I have no intention of giving up my cleaner who comes every second week. I figure she does it better than I do and the cost is less than 1 starbucks coffee a day.

2. Focus on the things that matter. For me that is losing weight, eating health etc. I like to serve up health meals every day and I figure by having time to buy fresh food, use coupons etc, combined with not eating out so much that cleaner is going to be well and truly paid for.

3. Find an activity that gets you out the house. For me, that will be joining a group tennis lesson at the Y one morning a week. I don't expect to make any friends, however I should be able to pick up some acquaintances who are looking for someone to play against. This method has worked in the past.

4. Look for a volunteer opportunity that appeals to your heart. If you like animals it make be working at a cat shelter, hospitals and hospice always need people. A cool one I found last time was at an acquarium, though unfortunately that did not jibe with my schedule so I did not partcipate.

I think the main thing is not to throw yourself into too many things at once as that can become overwhelming and more tiring than working. Make yourself a list of things you have always wanted to do and see if you can start making some of them happen.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
His level of acceptable squalor is much higher than mine, and the person with the lowest level of squalor-acceptance loses.
A high level of squalor acceptance has long been my secret of successful living.

Ha
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A high level of squalor acceptance has long been my secret of successful living.

Ha
Amen. Unfortunately now with a female roommate/pal/companion I just stay out of her way - she does New Orleans style cooking also (20 plus pounds to prove it) house stuff and gardening I defer to her. I get to play with the lawnmower and my chainsaw when the mood strikes.

heh heh heh - Off limits is 'my computer room' where squalor reigns supreme!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Ha, I think I can out-squalor you.
I know I can out-squalor my DH!
It is a gift. But having 9 animals in the house does help.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Sarah, I don't think you have heard about Ha's toilet cleaning ventures. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post281038

(sorry ha, but I just love that story)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Amen. Unfortunately now with a female roommate/pal/companion I just stay out of her way - she does New Orleans style cooking also (20 plus pounds to prove it) house stuff and gardening I defer to her. I get to play with the lawnmower and my chainsaw when the mood strikes.

heh heh heh - Off limits is 'my computer room' where squalor reigns supreme!
Wow, Mick, you've got it made. Isn't this want all men want?

And women too!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Sarah, I don't think you have heard about Ha's toilet cleaning ventures. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post281038

(sorry ha, but I just love that story)
Oh, how I wish this site had a flush function. But I have improved a lot since then, my toilet is clean (enough).

Ha
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Martha, thanks for resurrecting the black toilet scandal thread! ha does indeed have a very credible level of squalor-living!

My toilets, well, my excuse is that the well water has a high iron content and that is why they look dirty. I don't want to contemplate just how long it has been since they've been cleaned.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote