Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #341
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's great that everyone's been married so long!

I'm still a "newbie" I guess....DH and I have been married 5 years. I know that's not that long but I already know a few people who got married AFTER us and they're already divorced. I can't understand how since the past 5 years have flown by

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #342
Moderator Emeritus

Right on! DW and I have been hitched for almost 6 years now, seems like a blink of an eye. We can't believe our daughter is almost 8 months! Life is good! We hope to talk of 40, 50, 60 years of wedded bliss, Congrats to those of you who can!

Old 05-17-2005, 05:01 AM   #343
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

34 years last week.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 05-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our first anniversary is coming up in a couple of months...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #345
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Our first anniversary is coming up in a couple of months...
uh....you have a baby...thinking...thinking...was that a shotgun wedding?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Put your calendar away. Its well known that babies come along in 9 months but those are the later ones. The first ones can come at any time...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #347
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I have been lurking here for the last couple of months and have finally developed the nerve to ask a couple of questions.* I am 57 years old and work for the US Government.* I have 32 years and three months an eligable to retire.* My wife retired 1 April this year.* My main question is should I follow her and go ahead and retire.* I really want to, but as a lot of you know there is always second thoughts, but you guys got me really thinking about it.* We dont have a lot saved away maybe around 160K in different IRAs, TSP, stock and mutual funds.* Our main source of income would come from my retirement and my wife's retirement (County Government).* With both her and my retirement we should net around $4,100 to $4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife.* I still owe about 22K on the house mortage which ends up costing about $412.00 per month and should be paid off in about three to four years.* No other loans or CC debit.* Cost of living is fairly low in this area.* *Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.* THanks
Old 05-31-2005, 09:11 AM   #348
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluetgenau
I am 57 years old and work for the US Government...I have 32 years and three months an eligable to retire...My wife retired 1 April this year.* My main question is should I follow her and go ahead and retire.*...With both her and my retirement we should net around $4,100 to $4,200 a month that is after taxes, health and life insurance, and survivors benefit for my wife.
No brainer.* Retire.* What are you waiting for?

My only holdback on advising someone to retire if they are asking when they should be doing is that...

1) They may be so conditioned to working, that it will be a shock to their system.* Many sad cases where the job has become their only purpose in life.

2) They may not know what to do with themselves when they do stop going to work.* No game plan, no forethought, no future.

If you can't WRITE DOWN a list of at least 50 to 100 things you want to do after you retire, then just keep working until you drop dead.* When I first made up my list, I became worried that even if I retired at 40, I may not have the time to do them all.* Since that original list, I have done some, but have added even more.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #349

Retire@40, Thanks.* I was kind of hopeing to hear that.* One thing we do have planned is to do some workamping after we retire.* I am not sure if it has come up on this site or not.* Workamping is where you go to a US, County, State or commercial campground and for working about 20-24 hours a week between the couple you get free hookup plus other extra's.* This way we can help supplement our income and see this wonderful land of ours.* *Looking for any other input also, thanks again.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 AM   #350

I think retire@40 had it about right. Financially you have it pegged. COLAd pensions, medical coverage, house mostly paid off and enough savings for emergencies. So the question is do you want to retire?
I will be 55 later this year and have 32 years with the Federal Govt. My wife teaches school and will retire next year. My reason for staying on the job a bit longer is that my younger son is still at home in high school. I want to get a good sense of where he is in college admissions and expenses before I pull the plug. But the nice thing is that I really like my job. Best boss I ever had, but he is retiring. So if the new boss is a jerk then I can just leave. Its one thing to stay on a job you really like another to put up with unreasonable crap.
At campgrounds in California they have "camp hosts" which get free hook ups (don't use that term around teenagers) for some minimal duties. If I could get my favorite campground (Morro Bay State Park) I would have to really think about bailing out now and just letting the kid float on college, plead poverty while I go off to kayak and fish.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM   #351
Give me a forum ...

rluetgenau I am aware of that kind of program with State Parks in the west. *The challange would be coordinating the assignments. Yakers comment about CA is also true for OR and WA.

OPM has a program for employees planning retirement in the next year, ask your personnel office to sign you and your spouse up. *While most on the board talk about the financial aspects of retirement, the impact on your personal life can be huge. *There are significant territorial issues, for one.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:35 AM   #352

Yakers, that is one other thing I dont have any college expenses, my daughter graduated from college last May and was also married last May.* So all the big stuff is out of the way.* That was a double wammy in one month, but it is all paid for now.* There is a web site for Workamping at, WWW.workamping.com.* No endorsement and I have no affiliations with them except I do get their newsletter. Good luck to you when you pull the plug, I am leaning more and more in that direction. I am thinking about Sept 3, Sept 30 or at the latest 3 Jan 06.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #353

Brat, thanks for the suggestion about OPM I will look in to it.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #354

I am sorry that site should be workamper.com
Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #355

Hi,
My wife and I are new to the sight.* I'm a battered veteren of the deregulated airline industry.* I still love the flying, but security hassles, ingrate thieving management types and ever more odious schedules make me long for my independence. :P
Maybe with the help of the various calculators I can get a handle on the possibility of ER.
Anyway, we're off to the Tx hill country to look around this weekend with some old friends from Chicago.* Although, I think I would prefer Arkansas.* We'll see.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #356

Wow, what a site... I quit my civil service job last year, just 2 years short of 'official' retirement, moved to Florida, and I haven't looked back !! I was also a 30-year AF Reservist (won't get $$ until age 60), and I won't get civ svc retirement for 2 more years, but GUESS WHAT I have absolutely NO REGRETS !!

Just yesterday I was deciding how to get around the 10% penalty for early withdrawal from my TSP, and voila! I found this site, and the calculator helped me decide which of the SEPP types to choose.

Also, I have found a great way to make a few extra bucks... substitute teaching. And in the Florida educational system they don't do Social Security taxes, they have a thing called FICA alternative, which is essentially a 401(k) kinda thing, and even substitutes are automatically enrolled. Subbing is a great way to keep busy, make a few extra bucks, and meet some great people. Plus, I find out a few things about my teenaged daughter that she might never volunteer to tell me, lol.

I am pleased to find this site ! And I want to say that life is good... every day is a gift. It's NOT about the money. I went from workaholic $90K a year last year to qualifying for the Earned Income Credit in the span of one tax year and the past year has been the BEST ONE of my life.

Greetings to all... from Jill
Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #357

Hey, welcome alterego!

I'd love to hear a few $$ details as to how you are making this all work.* I'm civil service as well, and signed up for an early retirement effective in September.* The pension is not quite what I would like to live on (providing I stay in this high cost of living area), but I'm nervous that I might not get another chance for another 8 years.* I'm just at a point in my career where I have "seen it all before," and I would like a change.* A major change.

Was the move to Florida part of what makes it all work financially?

tozz

Old 06-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #358
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego
Just yesterday I was deciding how to get around the 10% penalty for early withdrawal from my TSP, and voila!
Welcome to the board, Jill! Sounds like you "get it".

My spouse is a Navy Reservist with about $8K in the TSP. When she retires we'll eventually have to draw that down, but it's small enough that I'd be willing to leave it in the TSP (at a 0.10% ER) and not bother with a Roth conversion.

Where did you find out the TSP withdrawal rules-- is that on the TSP website, or is there a better reference?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #359

Welcome Jill and yes, some most of these guys are brilliant. If they don't know, they know somebody who does know. Use their expertise, cause they do not mind. I have a couple of friends who sub-teach here in Texas. I think local school board will pay $70/day to sub with no experience and it goes up over a $100 if you have it. Only if I get desperate for loot. No patience, thank you very much.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #360
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, here I am.* I've been lurking for a while, and I'm fascinated by the discussions!* Hubby (52) has retired, then got another job, then quit that job to go back to his original company for 6 months and is back to being retired again.* I (50) am planning (carefully!) to work for 2 more years where I am.* I love my job but the commute is lousy, and I just want to have more time to do what I want.* I am planning to work part time no matter what, as I love the social part of working, but I also want to do some volunteer work.* We've planned and saved pretty carefully to get to where we are.* Not having kids sure helps.*

I really appreciate all the insights you all have, and so many of the discussions hit close to home.* So I thought I'd jump in.* Thanks!

CJ