Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #441
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bend, Oregon is east of the Cascade Mountains, so most severe weather is blocked out.* There are nearly as many sunny days in Bend* as there are in San Diego.* The* elevation is around 3,600. The most common weather pattern includes low humidity with cool nights.* Located in the high desert, there is an average of a little more than 10 inches of precipitation a year.

--Henry David Thoreau
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RS,
sounds like you have a good plan. We are in a somewhat similar situation. My wife will retire at 58 in June 06 as a teacher. She only has 20 yrs with CALSTERS so only a small partially COLAd pension. I could retire now as I am 55 w/30+ years in the Federal Govt. We have no debt and saved a bit in various deffered compensation plans. But we still have one son at home i high school. So we hope to bail in 1 1/2 years when he goes to college. Fortunately I like my work. We had planned to sell our house in Pasadena CA and move to the Morro Bay area but our older son now has produced our first grandchild and my wife has changed all our well made plans to live closer to them.

Anyway, I hope you will keep posting on your retirement/life progress.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #443
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your family will have it made in the shade in a year and a half. Two government pensions will offer a ton of security. Pasedena is a beautiful area with lots of sun.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #444
Confused about dryer sheets

retired Aug 1/05. I had a darn good feeling that retirement was going to be good, but I never expected it to be sooo good.

Each day is a no-stress day. Time is slipping by like never before. The past 5 mths are just a blur.

Where do you find all the time to chat?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarrior

Where do you find all the time to chat?
Hey, some folks have made a full time occupation out of posting here
Old 01-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #446
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will be on the retirement payroll Aug 1/05. At this point I am not sure if I am happy or sad.
Quote:
retired Aug 1/05. I had a darn good feeling that retirement was going to be good, but I never expected it to be sooo good.
Congratulations, SW-- I guess you've answered that question!

Another ER who discovers that the best way to learn about it is hands-on practice...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #447

Hi All,

Boon Mee here preparing to retire soon after 30 years in the oil/gas industry and going over my company's Pension Manager forms.

There's a note about 'Qualified Domestic Relations Order' (QDRO) that I do not understand. They state my estimated projected benefits do not reflect any QDRO?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
BM
Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #448
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hello Boon Mee. You might want to take a look at this US Govt Department of Labor website and see what it has to say about QDRO's.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_qdro.html

Congratulations on your pending retirement.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #449

Hi Folks

I just discovered this site and I have enjoyed reading some of the threads. Needless to say, I was intrigued enough to sign in and write this post.

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I retired about 15 months ago at age of 58. My retirement was not planned, it was sort of forced on me due to restructuring of my position at work. This, however, turned out to be lot more positive than I had initially imagined.

Like most people I had feared retireement. Would I have enough? How would I keep myself busy, so on and on.

At retirement, my pension was about 60 percent of my gross income. My standard of living has not changed and I seem to have less free time than before, thanks to travel (75 days and six countries last year), gym, investments, internet and volunteer work.

I have spent last thirty two years of my life here in Ottawa, Canada. I have two grown children, well educated and financially on their own and I am very proud of their achievements and the way they have grown. I also have some family and friends scattered across US.

I look forward to making new friends here and contribute my two bits, from a canadian perspective.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #450
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
Hi Folks

I just discovered this site* and I have enjoyed reading some of the threads. Needless to say, I was intrigued enough to sign in and write this post.

I live in Ottawa, Canada. I retired about 15 months ago at age of 58. My retirement was not planned, it was sort of forced on me due to restructuring of my position at work.* This, however, turned out to be lot more positive than I had initially imagined.

Like most people I had feared retireement. Would I have enough? How would I keep myself busy, so on and on.

At retirement, my pension was about 60 percent of my gross income. My standard of living has not changed and I seem to have less free time than before, thanks to travel (75 days and six countries last year), gym, investments, internet and volunteer work.*

I have spent last thirty two years of my life here in Ottawa, Canada. I have two grown children, well educated and financially on their own and I am very proud of their achievements and the way they have grown. I also have some family and friends scattered across US.* *

I look forward to making new friends here and contribute my two bits, from a canadian perspective.

Wecolme a board good buddy! I look forward to joining you in retirement. Canada is on my travel agenda.* 8)
Old 01-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #451
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello everyone. We are so close we can taste it. No debt, kids educated and gone. FI, but need more of a cushion.

Just trying to put the finishing touches on our financials so can exit the workforce entirely soon. Both age 52. We love to travel so will need a little more money than some, and also need to figure out where we want to live when we no longer have to work to live. Due to our age we may work part time or seasonal to preserve capitol.

We are in NY so taxes are a prime consideration when deciding on the retirement destination, as well as where are our kids settle. It will be in the US for sure.

I have learned a great deal from the people here, including to take everything with a grain of salt. Most of all, I have really gained from the opinions, experiences and ideas expressed here.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #452
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, shorttimer.

For some, just knowing that you're FI makes the workplace that much easier to put up with...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 AM   #453
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree Nords. There is a lot I am putting up with at work that is making others crazy that doesn't bother me at all. Getting your finances in control and eliminating all debt makes you see the work world through a whole new set of glasses. thank you.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #454

I am so ready to retire. I am 50 and not financially ready or prepared. I too have medical issues to consider before leaving a good paying job and health benefits. I couldn't be more unhappy at work and would love to leave it.

I feel stuck and am reading everything I can about changing my life style with hopes of feeling better about me and my life and get out of the rat race.

My mind tells me I will never get to stop working this hard and that it is not reasonable to think I could retire early, if at all. I get some hope reading these posts and hope I can come up with a plan.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by catramsey

My mind tells me I will never get to stop working this hard and that it is not reasonable to think I could retire early, if at all.* I get some hope reading these posts and hope I can come up with a plan.*
Welcome To all the new folks. Glad you made it here and I will be looking forward to your comments and ideas.

Getting to FI is not rocket science (with all due respect to the NASA and JPL folks). It does take planning and most of all execution of the plan to get there. Consistency in saving and then investing those savings while keeping your expenses below your income will get you there. The speed you get there is dependent upon when you start and how much you are willing to adjust your lifestyle to get there.

Good luck in your journey to FI and ER.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

SteveR: I nominate you for the Golden Post award!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Welcome To all the new folks.* Glad you made it here and I will be looking forward to your comments and ideas.

Getting to FI is not rocket science (with all due respect to the NASA and JPL folks).* It does take planning and most of all execution of the plan to get there.* Consistency in saving and then investing those savings while keeping your expenses below your income will get you there.* The speed you get there is dependent upon when you start and how much you are willing to adjust your lifestyle to get there.*

Good luck in your journey to FI and ER.
And don't forget.......................even without much planning
or saving it might still be possible to have a good outcome.
I don't recommend it though.

JG
Old 01-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
SteveR: I nominate you for the Golden Post award!!*
Obi-Wan has taught me well.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #459
Give me a forum ...

You win a life-sized Cube Rat avatar!!

May the farce be with you... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
You win a life-sized Cube Rat avatar!!

May the farce be with you...* :P
Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

Thanks anyway.