Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:30 AM   #561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
OK, OKay, Sorry I didn't do this earlier.. Actually, I didn't realize this part of the forum was available before...I thought the whole thing was the Health and Retirement section.

Just so you all know, I am very gunshy about giving too much personal information about myself on the internet...We had an incidence here in Colorado not too long ago with a few young girls who were killed by a nutcase because they gave too much info. on the internet, so I hope you all don't mind if I keep myself somewhat anonymous.

I'm sure you all figured out by now that i am an economic conservative and I am a self-employed insurance agent licensed in the state of Colorado. I've fo.
Welcome MKLD and sorry about the skeptical reception. Your coy manner initially seemed disingenuous so some of us were suspicious of your motives. Don't worry about Internet predators, they are notorious for pursuing immature kids, not mature women. And I can't imagine many are lurking on an ER board.

With your multitasking capabilities you should have plenty of capacity for browsing the other boards. And with your strong beliefs you will find lots of amusing arguments to join in the "Other Topics" board.

Oh, by the way, during the commercial breaks on O'Reilly you should channel surf over to Keith Oberman on MSNBC to get some balance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #562
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi all. A little bit about me and DW. Me 56 and working in hospital as Facility Manager. DW 55 retired or stay at home wife depending on who asks. Outside date of FIRE for me May1, 2010 when Reserve Retirement and Tricare Medical start. Will go sooner if I can get the Numbers to work.

Has anyone got opinions on relying on the Bernicle Retirement Plan option in FireCalc to change retirement date? From monitoring this forum for a couple of months I know some here are very conserative financialy and others not so. Would like feed back on using Bernicle option as it could shave a couple of years off working, but will it work?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #563
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie
From monitoring this forum for a couple of months I know some here are very conservative financially and others not so. Would like feed back on using Bernicle option as it could shave a couple of years off working, but will it work?
I think this is an unanswerable question. Many questions are posed here that have answers, and many posters are very good at giving clear answers to these answerable questions.

As you have noticed, some of us are conservative, others less so. It is in the area of unanswerable questions where one's natural caution or lack thereof will be most evident.

If I were you, I would imagine that I retired with faith in the practicality of the Bernicke (sp?) Idea. Then imagine that he was wrong, or that the environment was more difficult than you expected so that you find yourself short.

How do you feel?

This may be a good guide to these sorts of questions.

Ha
Old 12-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #564
Give me a forum ...

Aloha

I have been a lurker for a while, thought I'd start posting in this board, because the Motley Fool's Retire Early Home Page has become a political board. (Of course one of the beauty of retiring early is one has a lot more time to talk politics).

I've been retired for 7 years from Silicon Valley, and moved to Hawaii. I do volunteer work, lots of internet surfing, but not the local kind, and water sports. I am currently in the process of becoming a CFP, although I am not sure if I going to make this a really second career or just a hobby.

I noticed that Nord and I could be neighbors, Howzit brah, and we are almost the same age. Hawaii really is a much nicer place to retire than having to work here.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #565
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I have been a lurker for a while, thought I'd start posting in this board, because the Motley Fool's Retire Early Home Page has become a political board. (Of course one of the beauty of retiring early is one has a lot more time to talk politics).
I've been retired for 7 years from Silicon Valley, and moved to Hawaii. I do volunteer work, lots of internet surfing, but not the local kind, and water sports. I am currently in the process of becoming a CFP, although I am not sure if I going to make this a really second career or just a hobby.
I noticed that Nord and I could be neighbors, Howzit brah, and we are almost the same age. Hawaii really is a much nicer place to retire than having to work here.
Howzit, Clif, welcome to the board!

Ironic that you should mention non-surfing-- today the kid & I check out Silva's, Mokuleia, and Army Beach for a good North Shore winter break that's not dangerous or crowded.

TMF politics? Is it possible for the Gardners to lose their way any more than they already have?

I'm curious-- what local volunteer organizations do you prefer? Every year I look around, don't see anything compelling, and have too many other things I'd rather do anyway. Someday perhaps I'll try Habitat For Humanity but there's still too much of that type of work going on around Hale Nords...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

TMF politics? Is it possible for the Gardners to lose their way any more than they already have?

I'm curious-- what local volunteer organizations do you prefer? Every year I look around, don't see anything compelling, and have too many other things I'd rather do anyway.
Actually it isn't the Gardners fault (although the endless hyping for the Fool's various investment products has got really old.) It is just the Retire Early discussion Forum, which Dory36 use to participate in, many years ago, is 10% Retiring Early finances and 90% everything else.

I volunteer at Hanauma Bay, spending 4 hours talking to tourist about Hawaiian fishes and the environment, while watching girls in bikini's, at a gorgeous setting, is great job. Now the pay sucks, but the benefits are great.

The other one that you should check out, (not sure which service you were in) is being a Docent at the just opened Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. They are still getting organized but they have some very ambitious plans. A number of the docents are Air Force and Naval avaitors, being a WWII buff I get a kick out of taking to WWII fighter pilots, a rapidly vanishing breed.

At some point I'll start a thread/ rant on the problems with volunteering, but these are both good organizations.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi there! I've made a first post so thought I should introduce myself a bit. I found this board a couple of weeks ago via Ray Lucia. Listening to a podcast online, Ray mentioned Ben Stein having given him a "thumbs up". Curious & not knowing of Ben Stein, I searched & somehow stumbled into here. Looks like a good place to learn & I can tell already that I wish I'd found FIRE sooner!

I'm a 59 yr old RN who is no longer working. I call it "retired" but haven't started using any of my retirement money. My DH travels with his career & we decided 3 years ago that I could quit & travel with him. We're hoping he'll work another 5.5 yrs when we'll both turn 65 & retire "for real". I am really enjoying being out of the medical rat-race!

I like to think that I have more knowledge about funding retirement than the average nurse. Example: a nurse friend & I were discussing our payroll deductions for retirement & she revealed to me that perhaps she should increase hers. "How much do you defer", I asked. "$5.00 per pay for the past few years", was her response!! Ummmm, yes an increase would be a GOOD idea!
Yet, I also recognize that I am woefully short of being well versed, so I am hopeful to gain a better understanding by reading/posting here.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #568
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually it isn't the Gardners fault (although the endless hyping for the Fool's various investment products has got really old.) It is just the Retire Early discussion Forum, which Dory36 use to participate in, many years ago, is 10% Retiring Early finances and 90% everything else.
Well thank goodness that's not a problem on this board. I blame TMF's moderators!*

Quote:
I volunteer at Hanauma Bay, spending 4 hours talking to tourist about Hawaiian fishes and the environment, while watching girls in bikini's, at a gorgeous setting, is great job. Now the pay sucks, but the benefits are great.
I'll be darned. Tell Martha McD up in the office building that "Nords" says "hey". We've worked together on the board of the dressage association. I'm the ponytailed surfer dude who doesn't ride horses but whose kid spent three years at it.

Quote:
The other one that you should check out, (not sure which service you were in) is being a Docent at the just opened Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. They are still getting organized but they have some very ambitious plans. A number of the docents are Air Force and Naval avaitors, being a WWII buff I get a kick out of taking to WWII fighter pilots, a rapidly vanishing breed.
I used to work at the submarine training center on Ford Island in buildings right across the street from the museum. It's been interesting watching that place come back to life. It's not a bad idea, either, to be able to drop in on shipmates at the damage control trainer. But I'd have to be trained from scratch-- my WWII aircraft knowledge is limited to believing whatever Burl Burlingame writes.

I'd probably get hassled by the other aviators for not being able to find the submarine museum. But I like the idea of volunteer guiding without having to drive all the way downtown...

*Settle down, everyone, it's humorous moderator sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
Hi there! I've made a first post so thought I should introduce myself a bit.
Welcome to the board, Bram.

Good luck with those Ameriprise slimeballs. It sounds like they've given you quite the financial education already...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #569
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I spent several years in Hawaii, and visited the Bay often -- used to snorkel, and to dive from the rocks... awesome place as I recall it - perfectly clear, lots of fish. Portuguese Man 'O War were no fun, tho'!

And the consensus is correct on TMF, I went there years ago when they were jsut getting started, and it was kind of fun and homey. I hate to say they 'sold out', but...
Jumpin on board the ER bandwagon!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #570
Confused about dryer sheets

Jumpin on board the ER bandwagon!!

Hey everyone! I am so excited to have found this site. I am 35 yrs old, totally broke but on a mission to still retire early. I've made alot of stupid career and financial mistakes over the years, mainly because i've always hated corporate america. I could have been making alot more money than I am now but I was stubborn resisting Big Brother in my cubicle and not really moving up and making more money. I consider myself to be an artistic, bohemian type by nature and i'd be more than happy to be retired right now. It seems that since i got my first real job out of college, about every 4 yrs i get fed up and just quit my job and stay unemployed for several months. Those are the happiest days of my life. Well now I know that being stubborn won't get me to retirement. I am creating a plan to get to early retirement within 10 yrs. Oh how i wish I would have started at age 21. But better late than work til 65 or later!
My friends all think i have issues because i still don't know what i want to do career wise. I do know what I want to do---i don't want to work! I've always known that but society doesn't want to accept that it's okay to want to have my own life. Don't you hate losers that say that they'd still work if they hit the lottery?!
By the way, regarding personality types, I happen to be an "INTP" so it's in my personality to be destined towards early retirement.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #571
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Fazeila.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Administrator
Welcome!

This is the place to introduce yourself to the others.

We suggest you create a new topic when you introduce yourself, rather than replying to this message or someone else's introduction.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #573
Gone but not forgotten

Hi,Just found this forum last week.I retired last month not real early I'm 59 and live in Sarasota,Fl.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #574
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, neighbor.

Why not start a new post and tell us a little about your general situation - it's a curious bunch. There are quite a few Floridians here, especially from Pinellas Co, as well as a few from S. Fla and the TB area.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Re: Jumpin on board the ER bandwagon!!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #575
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Jumpin on board the ER bandwagon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeila921
My friends all think i have issues because i still don't know what i want to do career wise. I do know what I want to do---i don't want to work! I've always known that but society doesn't want to accept that it's okay to want to have my own life. Don't you hate losers that say that they'd still work if they hit the lottery?!
By the way, regarding personality types, I happen to be an "INTP" so it's in my personality to be destined towards early retirement.
Hi fazeila. Have you read the material from John Greaney? I know you have your own plan but you might get new ideas from looking at his story.
Home stretch
Old 01-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #576

Home stretch

Greetings folks, great site, great stories....

I've hidden in the bleachers the past 6 months selfishly feeding off all the great advice/stories that others have shared, so it's time to pay my tab....

I'm approaching mid forties and currently examining retirement options, which I will likely exercise in the next 1 - 5 yr window. I've recently read a number of books to help me with the decision, of which most were focussed on the issues/financial aspects of retirement. The one exception was "Tuesdays with Morrie", which offers some great wisdom on what's important in life. The information on this forum has also been very influencial in shaping my courses of action.

So here's my situation: (noting that my ultimate goal is to FIRE as soon as possible, stop working for 'the man', and do leisure/volunteer work, or menial part-time work for enjoyment (golf course marshall!!)

Currently in my 26th year of military service. Current job is less than fulfilling, but routine/workload offers a great work/life balance. Could leave now (at 43) with a 48K (COLA) pension, or plug on and increase pension by approximately 4K a year (factoring in cost of living increases in base pay). Leaving now would make things tight financially (3 yrs left on mortgage, 3 teenagers, DW nets 2K month income, 50K savings, no debt except mortgage). Conclusion, if I leave, there's no FIRE, and other employment will be necessary.

To reach FIRE, I think the following option makes best sense: Complete 30 years of (unfulfilling) service (in current location, with no risk of move), receive 68K pension (COLA). We would be 48/49 yrs old, mtg free (350K house), 150K in non-registered savings, DW continues making 2K month net doing p/t work. Pension, DW's income, and interest from savings (assuming 6% rtn) would net us approx 7K a month. Our current monthly expenses (not including mtg) average 4K. DW enjoys her work and will likely continue working part-time until 55-60 (taking off a few months each winter to go south).

In regard to expected expenses in the future: we live modestly with no glitzy or extravagant lifestyle needs. I have travelled extensively (as military pilot), and sick of it, and wife has no great travel aspirations. We'll take a hit with the kids college/university education, but I think we have enough buffer between savings and monthly income to meet education costs. When kids leave home, our intent is to downsize homes and pocket approx 100k, live in Vegas for 3 months during winter (Jan-Mar) and spend the remaining time near family/friends. The "manufactured homes communities" have also caught our interest as a possible future option - (great social community, simple homes, and cheap cost/upkeep).

In summary, I'm looking forward to reaching FIRE status within the next fire years. Sucking up a few more years of unfulfilling work seems to be a reasonable compromise to FIRE with enough of a financial cushion to live comfortably.

Looking forward to any advice/comments........
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #577
Moderator Emeritus

Considering travel isn't your thing, staying where you are for a few more years sounds like the right move. Heck, just getting some hobbies/interests up and running to fill your time when you do retire might take that long! Welcome to the board.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #578
Dryer sheet wannabe

My name is John..55 and not really working since 47...not really enough money to live comfortably but enough to live...just got one of those rare early, but meager, early pensions. I do have some other assets to supplement it too...with the proper asset allocation and withdrawal rates I should be fine.

I live in a very cold, high tax state and am looking to get out by no later than May...temporarily picked TN or TX for tax, cost of living and weather reasons. If I eventually go to TN I'm thinking I may want to go somewhere warmer for the winter. If I pick TX I'll come back to MN for the summer...I'm divorced and won't know anyone wherever I go but I can always find plenty to do whereever I go. I like golf, water sports and fitness.

I'm trying to find someone that knows the ins and out of Panama and/or Thailand. A possible place I might go with warmth, low cost, low taxes, etc. The visa's, the tax situation, etc.

Any suggestions for websites to visit, people currently living there, etc.?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #579
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieRed
I'm trying to find someone that knows the ins and out of Panama and/or Thailand. A possible place I might go with warmth, low cost, low taxes, etc. The visa's, the tax situation, etc.

Any suggestions for websites to visit, people currently living there, etc.?
Welcome to the board, John.

Off the top of my head, our resident Panama poster is Arif. For Thailand you'll want to try Lancelot, Ben, and Billy & Akaisha. Kramer and Ed (the Gypsy) have also done extensive research on the subject of expat living. Take a look at their profiles from the Members List or search for their posts with those keywords. And if I've missed a resident or an expert, I'm pretty sure that my oversight will be swiftly remedied by another poster.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #580
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Johnnie from another Minnesotan. Lots of us here. There also are a number who spend time in Thailand. Billy and Akaisha Kaderli spend quite a bit of time in Thailand and post here as well. Here is their website which has a lot of info:
http://retireearlylifestyle.com/

One of our posters, Vagabond/MJ retired this past year from NY and is currently traveling in that part of the world. Another poster, Lancelot, lives there and posts on occasion.

Oops, I see I cross posted with Nords.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Closed Thread