Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #721
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi bssc (and everyone else) -

Apologies if I got a little carried away in my post; tried to give a 'high level' or big picture overview of me. I will post in appropriate areas going forward - look forward to being part of the community here!

Brat - They are hard to come by, but I got sucked into the industry right out of college with consulting work. On top of my 'regular job' now in developing software which these guys use, I also do consulting work PT to IB firms on the weekends (yes, I work 7 days a week). In my couple years of work I have also amassed contacts all over in finance (Wall St./Midtown, Chicago, San Fran, Canary Wharf, Tokyo, Mumbai, etc., as well as ma and pa shops in remote corners of many of the 50 states). I'm not a 'shoe in' but I think I stand a solid chance (think middle market/boutique; bulge brackets have more of a cookie cutter recipe they follow for hiring). The work is easy (I've worked with enough analysts/associates/PMs/MDs/CEOs to know this isn't rocket science - now that's tough!) - it's the hours, and more importantly, the egos and lifestyles which pose the challenge to me!

While I am 'young and willing' to work these hours then I will - there is a goal in sight!

pj86 - Thanks! I have done, and continue to do, things which people my age would never dare to even consider - work an average of 70-80 hours a week, many times 7 days a week, commute 1.5 hours each way, travel a ton for business, AND live in my parents house (plus CFA studies, GMAT is next, Big Brothers volunteer, etc.). I sock it all away, while my colleagues (and most friends) prefer the status icons and fancy lifestyle. I wasn't always like this though, everyone has a story right?

I don't want to get too off topic on this thread - I will post on threads that have the appropriate topic going forward. I look forward to sharing experiences, ideas and stories with everyone on here!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Still Struggling A Little With Purpose
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #722
Confused about dryer sheets

Still Struggling A Little With Purpose

[FONT='Garamond','serif']Hello all. Here’s my story…[/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif'] From 1979 - 2003, I rose through the ranks to become President of a mid-sized distribution company. After a merger/acquisition with a fast growing public company, I made enough to "comfortably" retire in my late 40's. [/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif']Since then, I have had both the same joys and frustrations that many mention on this forum. I have enjoyed working out more, reading, traveling all over the world, time with friends and family. [/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif']Yet, like most ambitious people, I keep asking myself, "Is there something more?" "Am I really done with my career?" etc. [/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif']I would tell anyone today that retiring in your 30's, 40's, or 50's, really makes one come face to face with the reality that we are all so much more than our jobs, careers, or status symbols captured and enjoyed. [/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif']I don't have my final answer. I am still struggling through, "Get another CEO Gig" or "Fully pursue all my other passions in life". [/font]
[FONT='Garamond','serif']I really feel I need to be creative in this situation and would appreciate any advice or info. I guess my question is this “How do you[/font][FONT='Garamond','serif']replace that sense of accomplishment that you got before through work with a new set of challenges and commitments. [/font]

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #723

Hello, I'm...

Hello, I'm Fraser

male, Canadian, 33, married with 3 little ones. Currently I figure we're about 7-10 years from being FI. Current family net worth of $550k, much of it ($350k) in home equity. Doing very well thanks to real estate boom here in Alberta. Hope to semi-retire in that time in order to be closer to extended family. Saving/investing ~$40-$55k/yr thanks to annual bonuses and LBYM. Love dividend investing.

I'm very inspired by peoples stories here.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #724

Welcome Fraser

We look forward to hearing your retirement success stories in the future. And of course, there is that thread on National Health care that you Canadians have.

Look around, I am sure that there are threads that you can learn from and threads where we can learn from you.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #725
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello, I'm Ted

Hi All-

Great forum you all have here. DW (29) and I (30) are starting to get serious about the whole retire early thing. We just had a big discussion this past weekend about speeding things up towards early retirement and I am happy that I found you guys. I have been reading a lot of the other posts and have already learned a lot. Thank you all for sharing your experiences on this forum. For people like DW and I the knowledge gained here is invaluable.

I have some questions, but I will post those under the "Young Dreamers" forum.

I hope to at some point be able to contribute to the forum, but looking to learn as much as I can first.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #726

Welcome Ted

It looks like you have a good idea about how the board works.

Young Dreamers is a good place to post but other forums, like FIRE and Money might be helpful for your planning.

Asking interesting questions is a good way to contribute since it gets everyone thinking.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #727
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi everyone,
My name is Nate and I am a 22 year old graduate student (starting august 27) at Texas A&M. I did my undergrad at the University of Florida in Mechanical engineering. Both me and my girlfriend are beginning work on our masters/PhDs in less than a month; me in Mechanical and her in Chemistry. Both of us are prepared to begin our retirement funds (they may combine one day who knows ) and are lucky in the sense that both of us have scholarships for tuition, health care, and living expenses ($16k/year for me to live on and $24k/year for her to live on.) So we will be graduating debt free and will be entering the work force at full speed. We want to begin our savings asap though because of course it will take 4-5 years for the degrees and to not save now is forfeiting a lot of money towards retirement.

I look forward to receiving lots of advice and making many new friendships here in the future.

-Nate

Beer Budget Retirement
Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #728

Welcome Nate to the Boards

I think that there is plenty here for you, such as the Young Dreams forum. Getting a good education is a great start to life, IMHO. Look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #729

Can't Make Up My Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Admin View Post
Welcome!

This is the place to introduce yourself to the others.

We suggest you create a new topic when you introduce yourself, rather than replying to this message or someone else's introduction.
Hello group, I'm a 55 yr old male that's in a unique situation. I been working for the Municipal government here in Houston for the pass 28 years in the Public Works & Engineering Dept. I been in the same Dept and basically the same division the whole time. I work in the finance area. My situation is this, I been eligible to retire for the pass 6 years, I went into DROP,that's(Deferred Retirement) along about that time and been able to build up a comfortable retirement account. With my government pension and interest from my DROP account I could make several thousand dollar a year more than i'm making in salary now. Most people i talk to encourages me to take the full retirement and get out. What most people don't understand is I still enjoy what i do most day. I"m in charge of the payment of multi million dollar projects and services and have to be on my toes most of the time.
About 2 years ago most of the Upper management retired or was replaced. The new management shows little appreciation for what I do for the origanization. They trust me to take care of high dollar projects,but when it comes to promotions or good raises seems there is always some reason to leave me out. I',m not happy about that. I make a very comfortable salary but at this time being happy on the job is more important to me than the money. I have been able to build up a very comfortable retirement fund and if i leave i will continue health benefits. I will have no bills and all 3 of my children have finish college and working professional jobs. What i really need advice on is what is some things i can do to break the emotional ties i have to the job. I do very little once i get off work. I moved out into a gated community and know very few people in the neighborhood. I would like some suggestion on ways to ease myself away from a good job.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 AM   #730
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYRAY View Post
Hello group, I'm a 55 yr old male that's in a unique situation. I been working for the Municipal government here in Houston for the pass 28 years in the Public Works & Engineering Dept. I been in the same Dept and basically the same division the whole time. I work in the finance area. My situation is this, I been eligible to retire for the pass 6 years, I went into DROP,that's(Deferred Retirement) along about that time and been able to build up a comfortable retirement account. With my government pension and interest from my DROP account I could make several thousand dollar a year more than i'm making in salary now. Most people i talk to encourages me to take the full retirement and get out. What most people don't understand is I still enjoy what i do most day. I"m in charge of the payment of multi million dollar projects and services and have to be on my toes most of the time.
About 2 years ago most of the Upper management retired or was replaced. The new management shows little appreciation for what I do for the origanization. They trust me to take care of high dollar projects,but when it comes to promotions or good raises seems there is always some reason to leave me out. I',m not happy about that. I make a very comfortable salary but at this time being happy on the job is more important to me than the money. I have been able to build up a very comfortable retirement fund and if i leave i will continue health benefits. I will have no bills and all 3 of my children have finish college and working professional jobs. What i really need advice on is what is some things i can do to break the emotional ties i have to the job. I do very little once i get off work. I moved out into a gated community and know very few people in the neighborhood. I would like some suggestion on ways to ease myself away from a good job.
My first guess was:

Is it possible that your upper management is envious of your good financial position?

It might be a reason you don't get raises.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #731

Annie

Hello. Am new so hope this goes thru.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #732
Recycles dryer sheets

Was Lurking - Now a Member

Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to learning and understanding when we can take the plunge. I had a number in my head and now the number is growing.... When/how do you know when you've reached the number? 4% seems low - I had planned on 5% since we are achieving that simply on stock dividends alone. I know there are some items we have not considered so let the learning begin...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYRAY View Post
Troy
Welcome to the boards.

Yes, you are facing a very big lifestyle change, its obviously not just the money but how much of your self image is invested in the job. You have lots to think about but there are plenty of people here to discuss your options.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Scholl View Post
Hello. Am new so hope this goes thru.
Brenda

Welcome to the boards. Please look around and see what suits you.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to learning and understanding when we can take the plunge. I had a number in my head and now the number is growing.... When/how do you know when you've reached the number? 4% seems low - I had planned on 5% since we are achieving that simply on stock dividends alone. I know there are some items we have not considered so let the learning begin...
Welcome to bhe board. I think that there are lots of interesting posts in the FIRE and Money discussing that magic number.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #736

Hi all

We are locking this thread and encouraging every new member to start their own personal thread using the new thread button on the upper left hand corner of the window. You all are worth it.

Thanks
The Forum Administration