Join Early Retirement Today

Introduction
Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Introduction

Hello I am Hamilton. I am 55 years old and retired 5 weeks ago. I truly hope to stay retired. Everyone seems to tell me I will be bored out of my mind and will have to go back to work. I disagree as I intend to stay very active as I enjoy the second half, I hope, of my life.

I have worked hard and have saved into the high 7 figures. I am in about 60% fixed income and the other 40% in a combination of equities and alternative investments.

I have 4 daughters, one who grauates from law school this year, one who grauates from graduate school next year, a junior in college, and a freshman in high school. I have gladly paid for all of the education expenses and intend to do so going forward. That is 4 years of college and one graduate program if they so choose. After that they are on their own, so to speak.

My Father drove a truck for a living and I remember many times him being on strike and having spagetti week after week. Never bothered us a bit.

For me to be where I am at is a true testament to how great this country truly is. I want to extend my deepest appreciation to all of the Armed Services men and women who provide us with the freedom we enjoy that allow us to enjoy the great opportunity that is America. Now if we can only get it back on track. I am confident we will.

I look forward to learning and sharing with each and every one of you. I have so many questions and will have even more as time goes by.

Until then I wish you all the best.

Hamilton
hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Glad that you are here and I bet you enjoy a wonderful retirement. I have one more to get thru college then I'll be done - crazy how expensive college is nowadays.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! You've worked hard, saved money, taken care of your family and are now ready to go in a new direction. Congratulations!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome and congratulations.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
... Everyone seems to tell me I will be bored out of my mind and will have to go back to work. ...

This is the default comment of people that either:

• cannot FIRE (trapped and trying to soothe their own psyche)
  • so engaged in their job that it is their life (and they personally cannot imagine anything different)

Obviously, if one is engaged in life... they can transition to other activities that are fulfilling and rewarding.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and congratulations. I think you will find plenty of evidence here that being retired does not have to be boring. Or even that a little bit of boring can beat the alternative. Good luck and keep us posted.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations, Hamilton!

You are coming to the right place to get inspired. My retirement date is 16 months away, but I come here daily chiefly to be reminded how much fun is ahead.

Keep us posted on all the fun you have now that you have time to have more if it!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. It is great that they named your town after you.

Ignore the "you will be bored" comments.To be FIRED is to be free to do anything you want, including work at a fun, low stress job, volunteer, go back to school, travel, start a new business or just goof off (my choice).
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote