Join Early Retirement Today

It's nice being rich
Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

It's nice being rich

or FI or comfortable or whatever
Still cant bring myself to leave but without going into details I had reason to be upset and went into the big boss and quit. It was a major moment for me and I think they were shocked. They convinced me to stay and some changes were made in terms of workload. Deep down I don't think I really was going to be walking out the door, that they would get me to stay, and I did not squeeze any money out of them but that was not my motivation.
The bottomline is I have been on this site for 10 years and keep getting closer and certainly at this point I don't have to worry about what happens, which definitely gives me more independence at work and I think it shows. It probably is only a matter of time and my wife thinks something will finally "set me off" and that will be it. In the meantime I still work hard and do my job but it is so much easier when you know you don't need to and the clock is ticking. Just wonder how long this will be, but someday is closer than it was...
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on showing your displeasure. I agree with your DW. Someday something will set you off and that will be it. This instance was just a practice run.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was FI for a few years before I left mega. I was holding on for a medical retirement plan, but knowing I was FI was a major turning point. I stopped being as involved in the day to day politics and BS. I quit going to a lot of meetings, which actually increased my productivity so much that they didn't give me too much grief over missing the meetings. I had a really bad boss that would throw projects with impossible time frames at me, then would eventually tell me "never mind". So I quit reacting to those, pretty much ignoring them until I could see if they were real or not. Being FI gave me a tremendous feeling of power, and made the last few years on the job much more tolerable. I was able to work my way into a position to volunteer for a RIF, getting a nice severance and an early medical package. I don't think I'd have been confident enough to do it had I not been FI for awhile already. Very heady stuff, freedom.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Johnny Paycheck - You can take this job and shove it
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not needing the job is but one of many perks of FI..................
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #6

Once I became FI the "job" lost a lot of its "allure". Agree that there are many advantages associated with being FI. Feeling empowered is probably the biggest one for me. Related, feeling in control is very important to me. Hard to get this feeling without being FI, at least later in life.

Wouldn't use the term "rich" as this is very subjective and for many has a negative connotation.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #7

I personally do not like to think of leaving a job as retirement since that leaves the impression you will do nothing. FI suggests you could do anything you want, within your means, which might include continuing to work.

The freedom of choice makes such an amazing difference.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's an interesting sense of freedom isn't it? FI can embolden, as long as you use the power for good.

I was always more candid at work than most, but I'll admit I was even more so in the last few years of my career, after FI. Still held my tongue and stayed considerate/diplomatic more often than not, but there were a handful of folks at Corp who probably didn't think so. You have to use the freedom sparingly, or you're just being nasty and vindictive.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
had a really bad boss that would throw projects with impossible time frames at me, then would eventually tell me "never mind".
One of the many benefits of being near FI was I was able to identify that working for a boss like this on projects like this was making me miserable, and I didn't need to be miserable anymore. Earlier in my career, I needed the job, I needed the money to support my family, and I would be reluctant to push back on these kinds of crazy requests. I sucked it up and got the work done. Now, I feel empowered to pushback, nicely, and suggest other ideas or other approaches, such as putting me in a different department where Mr. Terrible Boss has no influence on my day to day workload. I like work so much better as FI when I don't need to jump as much when others make terrible decisions.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It is eye-opening to realize you are FI. Work chaos and other items are filtered through FI "glasses."

With a crap boss at megamart, it was hard to see personal goals.

With realization "I am FI" (what a phrase), it really does not matter who minimart names as my boss. And I am on my fourth (to be named later) in 1.5 years.

I have not played any significant cards in this new environment. Everything is going very well.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I actually liked my boss and coworkers and largely liked my work. When I turned 56 I became eligible to retire (which combined with our portfolio meant DW and I were FI). I had planned on working two more years but within a month I concluded that "I don't need to wait and I don't want to wait." So I gave a few months noticed and bailed out. Never looked back, never regretted my decision.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am having trouble with being FI and working. We are FI but DH is not ready to pull the trigger, so out of respect and concern for his stress regarding this, I will continue to work while I hope he digests the fact that WE ARE FI.

When there are changes at work, such as, lots of reorgs, unreasonable timelines, poor planning and decision making, now that I KNOW WE ARE FI, I am handling it worse than when I needed the paycheck.

This limbo state is tough on me, while I wait for DH to get on board.
fleefromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Thread. FI is certainly a empowering feeling, especially related to your career. My spouse and I have been FI for a couple years and are trying to decide when to cut back or entirely stop working. My work colleagues know that I'm more or less FI in that I shared some details with a few close work buds. I am careful not to be smug about my situation, nobody likes a blow-hard :-). So far my position is ok and yours may get back to being ok again as well.
I'm finding it a bit difficult to walk away from a six figure income even though we are FI. The grapevine at my job is saying that our project is being transferred and I might be out by years end. That would be so great to get laid off and collect UE that I paid into for 40 years. I think it would be easier to finally ER then, I'll be 56.
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #14

Stress and unhappiness can take a major toll on your health and relationships. But it takes time for these effects to unfold.

I chose to avoid the stress and unpleasantness even though I enjoyed a lot of the work I did and the people I did it with.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #15

Being FI is an amazing feeling. I don't really have a boss but I am not the only owner of my business and I have customers. I fire annoying or high maintenance customers a lot more frequently now.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #16

I used to call it as having the FU money. I refused to go throw with crappy job interviews, walking on on crappy jobs or bosses once I achieved my FU money. That happened in my 30s. But I kept on working with that sense of freedom and didn't retire until I was 55.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I never thought of myself as really being rich (I once met Bill Gates, which probably changed/warped my perspective ) but I've been FI (for my lifestyle) for at least 10 years. I don't think I ever really hated my job, but it was work and it's something I would not have done if not for the money. (We are all a bit of a prostitutes, in that sense)

I only had one boss that I really disliked over a 40 year career. Most of them were okay. My last boss was a real interesting fellow. Actually I liked him "as a person" but had very little respect for his business or technical sense. He had all sorts of advanced degrees (including a Phd) but I would often wonder how he found his way to work or back home everyday by himself.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I remember the feeling I had when I finally hit my magic number in the summer of 2008 and was getting the final piece of my ER plan into place in preparation for resigning at the end of September with a final work date at the end of October.

I felt like I was someone in a figurative cage who had become too big and powerful to remain caged any more and I was busting out for good! Even in the months before I hit my magic number, I felt I was growing and growing and nearly too big to remain caged and was going to bust out any time now!

Yes, it was nice being rich (and still is).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was a certain number I wanted to reach in order to feel a baseline level of security. I also wanted to reach a certain number of years just for the right to buy medical insurance through the group plan until medicare. Once I reached that level, it gave me a sense of security - that I didn't have to worry that I might make a mistake and get fired. I knew I'd be ok, and that was very comforting.

I'm still working because I'd like a bit more security ( I tend to be very risk averse), but I don't worry as much as I used to.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote