Join Early Retirement Today

Jayc from Southwest Ohio
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Jayc from Southwest Ohio

Hi everyone. The wisdom shared on this forum is amazing. After viewing the photo thread, everyone appears much younger than I thought after lurking for about a year. (I guess I expected foot long gray beards and wizard caps that go along with the sage advice.) I am married with 2 grown boys. I am 56, a software developer, 11 years as employee, 20 years as a consultant/contractor. My latest contracting gig ended 2/26/2010. Minored in Finance and bought my first stocks while a junior in college. I still have the WSJ where the DOW was in the low 700's. My plan to financial independence was to use compounding of interest and DRIP plans in stocks that sold things I use daily. i.e Baby Bell stocks, Utilities, Consumer, Oil. I also bought a house/condo every 5-6 years and rented the previous houses. I sold half the real estate in 2001 and put the proceeds in CD ladder. The last few years I have been trying to maximize my income with no loss of principle. I am currently at 6.2% ROI with 75/15/10, cd/stocks/real estate. I have always been LBYM. My current monthly expenses are $1580/month. Stock trading is mostly to capture dividends and sell covered options.
Now for the good stuff. I enjoy hiking the national parks to find places to trout fish. I have covered most of the central and southern trails of Yellowstone in the last 12 years. I restore pinball machines and currently have 11 in my basement. I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and have 6 of them. I restore Yamaha XS 650’s from 1979 – 1982. I rode to the Black Hills last year on a V-Star 1100. I enjoy skiing in Colorado. I like to garden. I have planted the front 3 acres in wildflowers and prairie grasses. I used to raise enough produce so the boys could have a booth at the Oxford farmers market.
Oh yeah… I am on the fence about retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Oh yeah… I am on the fence about retirement.
Ouch! You need to get off before you damage something important.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Hi everyone. The wisdom shared on this forum is amazing. After viewing the photo thread, everyone appears much younger than I thought after lurking for about a year. (I guess I expected foot long gray beards and wizard caps that go along with the sage advice.)
I lied on the photo thread....this is really me --------->

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Welcome jayc. Glad to have you aboard.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Welcome jayc.

I like your picture in the photo thread. We are currently in Colorado on vacation for a month and we are loving it here.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd like to apologize for possibly leaving beer cans and plastic cups in your lawn between 1991 and 1995, when I finally graduated from J-Crew U. Welcome aboard!