Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Jessica from New Jersey
Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Jessica from New Jersey

Hi everyone! I am a 24 year old MBA student living in New Jersey. I have joined this forum in hopes that I could learn some things which would allow me to retire before 65 (a long time before, hopefully) and maybe have a chance to provide some information that will help others. Thanks!
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum! I lived in Princeton for a few years.

Keep your eyes peeled for a fall Washington DC ER forum meetup announcement from me soon.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Easy! Spend less than you make and leave New Jersey!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica08 View Post
Hi everyone! I am a 24 year old MBA student living in New Jersey. I have joined this forum in hopes that I could learn some things which would allow me to retire before 65 (a long time before, hopefully) and maybe have a chance to provide some information that will help others. Thanks!
Hey Jessica! You can start by posting the latest pic of yourself sunning on the beach. I'm always looking for new avatar material. Just kidding, just kidding. Nice to have you join us. Lot's of smart finance people here with good suggestions.

Again, welcome to the board.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Jess from Joiysey.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hey Jessica! You can start by posting the latest pic of yourself sunning on the beach. I'm always looking for new avatar material. Just kidding, just kidding. Nice to have you join us. Lot's of smart finance people here with good suggestions.

Again, welcome to the board.
Dawg, this isn't funny. A new member's first post and your first response is to leer at her from the computer screen? A little more editing, next time, please.

Jessica, welcome to the boards.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Come on man, he was still in the bullpen.

Ha
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , I lived in Jersey for many years .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Jessica. Amazing that you are even aware of these things at your stage.

You'll learn a lot here, including to ignore the occasional tasteless "welcome" post.

What area of business will your MBA lead you to?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
gone traveling

I wonder how much people have to earn in NJ/NY area to make to ER before 60...
My friend said that her good single friend living in NJ (close to NYC) makes $75K and is just scraping by. Now if I made that much $$ in NC, I'd be able to save about $25-$30K pre-tax. Is it so obscenely pricey there? I didn't question my friend, but I thought that her friend was not living frugally
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #11

Welcome Jessica.....I also live in Central NJ....this is a great board to be on.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Jessica! I'm kinda new here and also from Jersey. Essex county. Essex being the indian term for "those who never met a tax they didnt like"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Easy! Spend less than you make and leave New Jersey!
Ugh. It's so sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
My friend said that her good single friend living in NJ (close to NYC) makes $75K and is just scraping by. Now if I made that much $$ in NC, I'd be able to save about $25-$30K pre-tax. Is it so obscenely pricey there? I didn't question my friend, but I thought that her friend was not living frugally
We make over 200k combined, live about 20 minutes from NYC in a town that many people from the city move to and while not "just scraping by" we are not wealthy. Home = 600k+ and it's a "fixer upper" that will probably run another 200k by the time it's all said and done. Property taxes = 12.5k per year. Oil heat is an obscene amount, I'll have to look that up. Water bill, sewer bill.

I only manage to save a bit over half of your 25k-30k amount (pre-tax) on more than 75k a year. And I have no car payment. To be fair I can probably tighten the belt and do 20k.
RDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
I live "next to" NJ (Pa, a couple of miles from the NJ border).

Retired last year (before 60). I guess it makes a difference ?

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #14

aida2003.....it all depends on how bad you want to retire early!
As for NY....the rent for a 1 bedroom closet apartment can be anywhere from $1500-$2000 a year!
I live comfortably in NJ making 50K/year and saving 30% of my salary.....I still live like a college student.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDamien View Post
Welcome Jessica! I'm kinda new here and also from Jersey. Essex county. Essex being the indian term for "those who never met a tax they didnt like"
Oh yeah, in addition to 'spend less than you make', you also need to 'pay less in taxes than you make'
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #16

edit....1500-2000 a MONTH.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Welcome, Jessica. Amazing that you are even aware of these things at your stage.

You'll learn a lot here, including to ignore the occasional tasteless "welcome" post.

What area of business will your MBA lead you to?
Well, I suppose you could call me a career changer. I'm concentrating in Marketing and hoping to get into luxury retail, but I am not so picky about the industry. Any industry besides pharmaceuticals and finance would be great, but it seems as if I can never get away from finance!
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #18

Welcome Jessica! (another 'Joisey resident here) While this state is freakin' expensive, LBYM is totally possible with so much to do here

2Cor - I'm begging for your meet-up to not be the first weekend in Oct
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
2Cor - I'm begging for your meet-up to not be the first weekend in Oct
You're in luck. I'll post a new thread in a minute.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey Jessica! Welcome to this forum. I'm your age and hoping to retire early, too. I think New Jersey is a good state actually. They ranked really high on the "success index" .

Anyway, good luck with your MBA!
xynny is offline   Reply With Quote