Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboy View Post
The 3k may not be all inclusive, additional $500 for insurances. But, I pay annually.
Expenses are expenses, whether they are daily, monthly, yearly, or even less often. Since you left off insurance (is that just $500/yr?), I wonder what else is missing. That Corolla won't last forever, so have you budgeted for a car replacement? How about major home repairs that will eventually come? I think you need a very realistic estimate for all expenses you'll face during retirement, based on more than what comes out of your checking accounting in a typical, uneventful month.

Nobody else has asked, and you don't have to disclose if you don't want, but what are these critical health issues that keep you from working?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I cannot learn any new things...
If you really believed that, you'd never ask a question!

You don't have a retirement issue, you have a confidence issue. The soulless industrial machine for which you loyally slaved away has slipped you the mitten. Suffering the pangs of rejection, you're searching for a quick escape: "Ah, retirement! That's the answer!"

In your case, I don't think it is. You're on the young side to expect a 4% SWR from your savings. So you'd be completely dependent on DW's teaching income. And what happens if she gets laid off, or worse? You'd be up the stream without an oar.

Your career horse has bucked you off and you've got an emotional bruise. Rub some dirt on it and get back on the horse and ride it a few more years. And let's have no more of this "I can't learn anything new" talk. There's a niche out there for you. It may not be in your old job, but that's irrelevant. Go forth and succeed like crazy! I look forward to reading your future posts.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

There are lots of posters on various Reddit forums with disabilities who find ways to make money from home. One guy makes a living without any real job just from a lot of odds and ends money makers in the beer money sub Reddit forum. I agree with the other posters that you probably don't have enough to fully retire, but with your with wife working part-time and your savings, if you have health care covered in some way, you could probably go part-time / work from home and be okay. There are some posters on Reddit forums who make money just chatting online with people who want to learn or improve their conversational English skills.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Yes, the idea to work again is bringing shivers in my spine, I wish I am 59

So, once again ... my favorite ER.org cartoon:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Time $.gif (60.0 KB, 183 views)
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
If you really believed that, you'd never ask a question!

You don't have a retirement issue, you have a confidence issue. The soulless industrial machine for which you loyally slaved away has slipped you the mitten. Suffering the pangs of rejection, you're searching for a quick escape: "Ah, retirement! That's the answer!"

In your case, I don't think it is. You're on the young side to expect a 4% SWR from your savings. So you'd be completely dependent on DW's teaching income. And what happens if she gets laid off, or worse? You'd be up the stream without an oar.

Your career horse has bucked you off and you've got an emotional bruise. Rub some dirt on it and get back on the horse and ride it a few more years. And let's have no more of this "I can't learn anything new" talk. There's a niche out there for you. It may not be in your old job, but that's irrelevant. Go forth and succeed like crazy! I look forward to reading your future posts.
Initially I thought you had a progressive crippling disease. After I saw the critical issue, was thinking this. If you were single, ok. But you have a 7 year old and a wife. What happens if your old company decides it's going to save money, by cutting your insurance? Or going bankrupt? I am also somewhat suspicious about your budget as you did not provide a break down. Oh my, you need a new roof, your furnace blew, and your car needs a new transmission - all within months. Inflation? (That's not keeping within budget) Your son needs tutoring, braces, sports equipment, class trips? I did not see that anything was put aside for his college. Your wife gets the new supervisor from Hades and wants to quit? You tell her no, I want to stay home, you get back to work, and while you're at it, pick a few more hours we're running short of money? You will not starve. There are a lot of public assistance programs, but you are potentially facing a downward spiral in your standard of living in a few years.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am with the consensus here. OP needs to find some empl*yment for a few more years. It doesn't have to be in current field - just something to bring in a grand or two a month for a while. One advantage the 7 year old may have is low income parents. He should be eligible for grants/aid/loans for university.

I also think OP may be selling himself short. It's true that skills degrade over time, but "no skills" seems an over statement. I'm guessing there are ways to bring skills up to date (Junior College or university). YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Basically, I cannot be employed because I have no skills.
There are plenty of unskilled jobs available. Or perhaps your wife has skills and she could work full time in a more lucrative job.

Quote:
I want to hear the words 'that i can retire now'. I can tell my wife that we won the game and out of rat race
Okay- you can retire now. Use your assets until you decide to take social security. Hopefully you have already calculated what you will receive in benefits and it will get you to the 30k per year you have decided you will need. And hopefully that will suffice for the rest of your life and your spouses life. (Taking social security at 62 may not be your best choice here. Consider calculating the alternatives.)

Quote:
I need 30k per year, so for next 12 years I need Just 360k - which I have right now available in Stocks. So, why I should work? I don't want to think about - earth quake, Nuclear War, son leg broken, unexpected expenses, Kid College. Am I missing anything?
You could be missing many things besides the things you don't want to think about.

Has anything unplanned happened to you in the past 40 years? Any of them costly? Do you think you can avoid them all in the next 40 years?

How about inflation? Do you remember any time in the past when inflation was high? I do.

Quote:
After 12 years - I am eligible for Social security and i can withdraw from my 401k.
Right. And of course you can withdraw from your 401k now if you are willing to pay a penalty.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After 12 years - I am eligible for Social security and i can withdraw from my 401k.
And what will that SS calculation look like with 12 zeros in the mix?
Old 08-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have trouble fathoming how an electrical engineer with 20 years of experience doesn't have sufficient skills to find employment that can support your modest lifestyle and needs, but perhaps there is something that you haven't told us (and that is fine).

However, it appears that you would be ok if you can't return to work. I ran FIRECalc with $42k annual spending, $885k of assets, 40 year time horizon, $15k SS starting in 2030 when you are 62, $7.5k SS starting in 2033 when DW is 62, $18k a year of income from your DW working from now to 2033 and a 50/50 portfolio and I was surprised that the result was a 100% success rate.

I suspect that is because between now and 2030 assuming that your DW brings in $18k a year that your WR is only 2.7% and from 2033 on it is only 2.3%.... so IF, and that is a capital I and a capital F, you can live on $42k a year and your SS at 62 will be about those amounts then you may be ok, but you will be at risk of a significant adverse event throwing you into poverty.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #30

I also smell troll. But if not: get a j*b, any j*b. I'm sure with 20 years electrical engineering, there are transferrable skills in that. Go to state-provided career counseling if need be.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank You all, ...special thanks to pb4uski for running the FIREcalc. I never did that myself.

I have moderate to severe Crohn's disease and on top of it I am unable to focus or concentrate on anything. I enrolled in couple of online courses, but withdrew myself. This early retirement idea is driven by my inefficiency to secure another job or skill.

based on the suggestions, I may have to look for work from home or part time jobs ....few more years ... i guess. No Choice

Thanks!!!
dallasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I suggest that you run FIRECalc yourself since you know your numbers. You can also look at what-ifs using the "Investigate" tab.

For your or your DW's income from working, I would suggest putting it in as a pension on the "Other Income/Spending" tab and then offset by a corresponding off-chart spending item beginning when you will stop working.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank You very much for the replies. Let me do some research on annuities.

Basically, I cannot be employed because I have no skills.

I want to hear the words 'that i can retire now'. I can tell my wife that we won the game and out of rat race

I need 30k per year, so for next 12 years I need Just 360k - which I have right now available in Stocks. So, why I should work? I don't want to think about - earth quake, Nuclear War, son leg broken, unexpected expenses, Kid College. Am I missing anything?

Dallasboy
I think in your case there are too many variables. Your age and the amount you have saved seems too risky, plus you do not have have any real GUARANTEED income, i.e. pension etc.
You say you have no skills; however, you can skill work...correct? Recommend working until 55 and then draw down from investments until Ss eligible. Good luck!
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #34

Dallasboy

The Crohns may be something you have to take into account. I have what i would say is moderate Crohns. Took about 4 years to get stabilized. 4 hospitalizations in 3 years. 3 of which were for a week. Finally did a bowel resection and things are on an even keel now. But your medical expenses may bump around a good amount. The Dr says average 10 years between bowel resection surgeries.

Good luck
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Getting Disability Benefits for Crohn’s Disease | Nolo.com

Quote:
You may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits based on your Crohn’s disease. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a multi-step evaluation process. First, the SSA will determine whether you are working at the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level; in 2017, SGA level if $1,170 per month. If you are earning $1,170 or more per month, the SSA will deny your claim. The SSA must also determine whether your Crohn’s disease is expected to last at least a year; because Crohn’s is a life-long disease, this requirement is easily satisfied. The SSA will next determine whether your Crohn’s disease is “severe.” To be “severe,” your Crohn’s disease must substantially impact your ability to do basic work activities.
If you had private disability insurance where you worked or on your own then you may have a claim on that coverage too.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Thank You all, ...special thanks to pb4uski for running the FIREcalc. I never did that myself.

I have moderate to severe Crohn's disease and on top of it I am unable to focus or concentrate on anything. I enrolled in couple of online courses, but withdrew myself. This early retirement idea is driven by my inefficiency to secure another job or skill.

based on the suggestions, I may have to look for work from home or part time jobs ....few more years ... i guess. No Choice

Thanks!!!
No one has mentioned the option of SS Disability?

I know it's a high bar, but there will be plenty of local attorneys specializing in this area.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
No one has mentioned the option of SS Disability?

I know it's a high bar, but there will be plenty of local attorneys specializing in this area.
I mentioned it 32 posts ago and again 2 posts ago.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #38

As retire2020 suggested, IMHO, you have your investments upside down with your accessible now (need it now) money at risk in stocks and all of your inaccessible (until you're 59.5) 401K funds in the lower risk categories. I would reverse this (beware of capital gains taxes, etc)... If the market tanked tomorrow you got 10 years for your 401K to recover, but if you're taxable accounts = 50% of current value tomorrow (the 2008 crash) you're left with 200K to last you 10 years till you can tap the 401k without tax penalties.

You know you're details more than anybody here, but double check your employers health insurance.... if its COBRA, thats only going to last 6/12/18 months and who knows where the roulette wheel is going to stop on Obamacare subsidies. If you got some sort of life time coverage, good for you.

I'm in a similar boat as you. Electrical/Software Engineer with 30+ years experience and 5 patents I was laid off last year. Job search in tech fields when 45+ is a joke. I gave up looking.

IMO, in your shoes with 10 years till drawing your 401K and a 7 year old, you need to find some sort of non-tech job. After making bigger $ in engineering, non-skilled wages seem like "not worth your time"... but you need to slow your net burn rate by having some sort of income even if small... a part time min wage job would cut your burn rate by 1/3.

As others suggested you need to play with various retirement calculators with different burn rates to see how long the $ might last. FireCALC, Financial Engines, Mint, every brokerage has one, etc plus play with your own spreadsheet.... each of these migh give you wildly varying answers, but eventually they'll converge.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks!!!
You may have ADD which runs in my family. Son and grandson take meds which has helped a lot. You should ask your physician about an assessment.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
As retire2020 suggested, IMHO, you have your investments upside down with your accessible now (need it now) money at risk in stocks and all of your inaccessible (until you're 59.5) 401K funds in the lower risk categories. I would reverse this (beware of capital gains taxes, etc)... If the market tanked tomorrow you got 10 years for your 401K to recover, but if you're taxable accounts = 50% of current value tomorrow (the 2008 crash) you're left with 200K to last you 10 years till you can tap the 401k without tax penalties....
I see the liquidity point but the OP's current portfolio is very tax efficient since he will be in the 15% tax bracket all qualified dividends and long-term capital gains will be tax-free.

Even though I am retired my portfolio is similarly structured (cash and equities in taxable accounts and both equities and bonds in tax-deferred). What I do is as I need to replenish cash needed for spending I sell equities in the taxable account and buy equities in my tax-deferred account. There are many of us here on this forum that have structured our portfolio that way.

If the market tanks tomorrow then he would be selling equities in his taxable account and likely selling bonds and buying equities in his tax-deferred accounts and I see no problem with that.