Join Early Retirement Today

Joined 4 days before retirement
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Joined 4 days before retirement

Have been a lurker for many years & have found it very interesting hearing about people's experiences.

Anyway, I'm a 62 year old male, will be retiring this Friday, April 3, 2015. Been with the Federal Gov't for 32+ years (CSRS GS-12). Qualify for SS based on years of delivering pizzas, etc. My wife & I have about $1.2M in TSP/IRA/Roth IRAs, not really sure but maybe $200K in other investments. Wife is retiring tomorrow from same organization, 56 years old (FERS GS-5). House is paid for, no kids, 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers & 2 Yellow-naped Amazon parrots.

My retirement pay will be a little more than my current pay based on deductions for TSP & savings. Figured it's time to get out while I'm able to enjoy it.

Cleaning up my files, packing up my stuff - time seems to be going very quickly these last few days.

Saw a post about George Costanza pretending to be an architect -- btw, I am an architect!

Feels weird to be posting this....
ampeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! More time with the dogs now!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I hope you and your wife enjoy your retirement.

I retired under CSRS about 5 years ago after 30 years. Retirement is great!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Enjoy life ! Only 9 years to go for me.
Retirein2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Enjoy!!
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #6

Congratulations and sounds like you have it covered with plenty to sustain your current or higher spending without much concern. So definitely time to get out.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Congrats ampeep! I retired about 8 months ago, GS11, also CSRS. I'm also retired from AF Reserve, although still have a couple of years to wait for the pay from that gig. Wife is not a fed, and is still working but I think this is either her last year, or at most, next year will be. I had a total of 37 1/2 yrs as a fed, counting my 4 1/2 yrs active duty which I did buy back. I will also qualify for a small SS payment when I reach that age. Wife will get SS and us contributing 30% to her 401k.
I maxed my TSP the last several years, I wasn't able to do that for as many years as I'd have liked, but it's turned out pretty well. Welcome to retirement and life after Uncle Sam!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Congrats! Now your life really begins...on your terms. Have a blast!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Appreciate all of your well wishes!

irishgal, I think our doggies are going to be a lot more tired now that they'll have company all day!

martyb, must be nice to have your AF reserve retirement coming in the future.

38Chevy454, was wondering what 38 signifies? I know the 454 is from the 1970-era big block.

In case anyone's curious am = Amy our former Chihuahua; peep = PeeWee our first and current parrot

Attended my last staff meeting yesterday; it was nice not having to really pay attention.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post

38Chevy454, was wondering what 38 signifies? I know the 454 is from the 1970-era big block.
One of hot rods, 1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 454 engine. I have used that name for many years on many forums. I do old cars as hobby, have 8 cars 1968 and earlier, if you count a couple future projects in waiting. I definitely am not one to worry about keeping busy or what i will do once I am retired. Approx one more year and then out, not a Fed, but work as engineer for DOE contractor.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
One of hot rods, 1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 454 engine. I have used that name for many years on many forums. I do old cars as hobby, have 8 cars 1968 and earlier, if you count a couple future projects in waiting. I definitely am not one to worry about keeping busy or what i will do once I am retired. Approx one more year and then out, not a Fed, but work as engineer for DOE contractor.
Not familiar with the '38 Chevy so I looked it up on the Web. Must be an awesome car w/ a 454 motor! During high school, I worked at a Chevy/Toyota dealership & my favorite cars were: '65 Vette, '69 Z-28 & SS396 Chevelle.

BTW, what kind of engineer are you? I work (until 2pm today) with a bunch of engineers.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
<snip>
Attended my last staff meeting yesterday; it was nice not having to really pay attention.
WAIT - what? Am I supposed to be paying attention at these things?

Welcome to the forum, and hope you and your wife enjoy your well-earned and new found freedom.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's my last day at work; I've just about tied up all the loose ends. Yesterday, I got a call from a friend on Guam that I've worked with for the past 20 years. Today I got a call from an east coast friend to wish me well. We've known each other for 30 years, and it was nice to hear from him.

I have about 2 hrs to go before I shut everything off for the last time & go to turn in my I.D. cards. Everything seems so final now!

However, am looking forward to joining the ranks of the retired - I really appreciate the support I've gotten from this forum.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

Congrat ampeep! BTW - I can relate to one of your comments about your dogs. Our dog used to have a lot of pent up energy. Since my retirement, she gets to run along side my bicycle on most nice days for as long as she feels like it. When she tires, we go home. At first she would run about 1/2 mile and then trot another 1/2 mile, then start to walk. Now she normally runs 1/8th mile and then trots a short while, then we walk. And I've only been doing this since mid January! She's much more relaxed now and also now wants to be around me most of the time. Follows me most places I go around the house. I really enjoy having her and now take her often with me places when I can.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Whisper66, sounds like your dog is much happier now that you've retired! As my wife says, 'A tired dog is a happy dog' and I agree w/ her.

Daisy & Emma are therapy dogs so we take 'em to visit a nursing home about once a month. The patients' faces light up with joy when our doggies jump into bed with them & give them kisses.