Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

I live in Hot Springs. Feel free to ask me any questions, either here on the forum, or by private mail.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thank you, Beardog!

Can you give me a heads up when there is an open full hookup site at the Gulpha Gorge Campground?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

That won't happen until fall is about over! My house is about 7 minutes from Gulpha Gorge.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

GG is our very favorite place to camp in the entire US. We've spent a few days there every October for several years running but last year we had trouble getting a spot. Lower fuel prices do have a downside.

Wish they took reservations.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

This has been fun for me to read and remember the fear I felt back in 2007. I came back to California, bought a home in 2012. I am extremely blessed that it has appreciated faster than I could have hoped for at the time. The IRA has increased more than I thought it would. Have made two trips this summer to investigate other communities. Still like Bella Vista. Also considering Bartlesville, Oklahoma. All of my family except my sister have left California in the past 2 years, going to the Austin, TX area or Tulsa area. I am hoping to put my home on the market next spring and head to somewhere in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas. The web community has really helped me, and I have gained so much information from reading the many posters here. Thank you.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Blue Skies,

We are looking at NW AR for retirement also. We have family in the area, love the natural beauty and the cost of living. Not so sure about the humidity however. The city-data site has a lot of good info in their NWA forum if you haven't found that yet. There is a very active poster who lives in BV too.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I realized this thread was started years ago when I got to the part about CD's earning 5% interest.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before ER, my job required traveling 90% of the time to places like So. California, Seattle, Virginia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and all over the southeast U.S.

An incredible number of Californians continue to move out of the state--Arizona, Oregon and Austin, Texas area. Nashville, TN also has enough ex-Los Angeles musicians and actors to be called The Third Coast. They seem to be looking for a healthier, quieter lifestyle in order to avoid temptations of Los Angeles. And housing costs and taxation allow a much higher lifestyle. Steven Tyler moved to Nashville a couple of years ago and is completely bowled over by the creativity of the music world there.

I've traveled Arkansas extensively over the years, and the northwest corner of the state is one of the fastest growing places in the U.S. I think there are now more people there than in Little Rock. For those looking for the really quiet life, the AR/MO state line is hard to beat with incredible lakes. With so many people moving there (Walmart/Tyson Foods), the housing market is reasonable and most really nice houses are relatively new. And the people are the nicest I've ever met.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
This has been fun for me to read and remember the fear I felt back in 2007. I came back to California, bought a home in 2012. I am extremely blessed that it has appreciated faster than I could have hoped for at the time. The IRA has increased more than I thought it would. Have made two trips this summer to investigate other communities. Still like Bella Vista. Also considering Bartlesville, Oklahoma. All of my family except my sister have left California in the past 2 years, going to the Austin, TX area or Tulsa area. I am hoping to put my home on the market next spring and head to somewhere in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas. The web community has really helped me, and I have gained so much information from reading the many posters here. Thank you.
Why Bartlesville?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bartlesville on the list because of family members who live there.

I had Allied Van Lines give me a quote yesterday to move to Bartlesville. Reasonable rate but I intend on getting rid of even more items before the move.

The guy from Allied said that the number one destination for Californians is Bend, Oregon, followed by Austin, Texas. He said it is much, much cheaper to move from Bend or Austin to California. So many trucks leaving CA the cost is more.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Austin, Bartlesville and NW Ark. are all good choices and all fairly different, socially, politically, culturally. I'm familiar with all of them. It really depends on what you're looking for. What are your top five qualifiers?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Skies, are you retiring for good now or will you work PT at a new location? Have a good move!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

aida2003
I will work part time. My goal is to buy a home where I can foster dogs and cats, spend more time in AA being of service and giving back what was so freely given to me, and slowing down. No more 70 hours a week. Part time work would be great. My biggest concern for the future, and future expenses, is the cost of health insurance and medical care.