Join Early Retirement Today

Just joined...looking to retire in 1 year
Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just joined...looking to retire in 1 year

I am 43 years old and live in a So. Cal coast community. I would like to make a major life change next year and move to the mid-west and work part time.

I am hoping to find resources and information here that may make this transition easier.

Thank you
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. You might read the Best of the Boards and use the Search function to tap into the wealth of information here.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Skies--Welcome to the forum! There are lots of helpful knowledgable people here who can help you with your retirement plans. I still have a few months to go, but I have learned a great deal from the folks here. Probably the most important thing I learned is that ER is possible--lots of people do it--it's not rocket science or anything. Good luck with your plans--where in the mid-west were you thinking of moving to?
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

From So Cal to the midwest?? Why on earth would you do such a thing?

When I FIRE, I plan to move from the midwest to southern california coastal community. What is it about so cal that makes you want to move?
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
From So Cal to the midwest?? Why on earth would you do such a thing?
Indeed.

The midwest, particularly where I live, is a horrible place. Almost as bad as Texas. We have earthquakes, rattlesnakes, mosquitos carrying deadly viruses, bears, very cold winters, and trailer parks. We have no indoor plumbing, no nice restaurants, no social lives, no culture, no educational opportunities beyond grade school, no tolerance for those of other religions or cultures, no good football teams, and no good jobs.

SoCal is much, much better. I'd stay there if I were you.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Indeed.

and trailer parks. We have no indoor plumbing, no nice restaurants, no social lives, no culture, no educational opportunities beyond grade school, no tolerance for those of other religions or cultures, no good football teams, and no good jobs.
Do you know where I live? Have you been stalking me? How do you know all that about my neighborhood?
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for the welcome
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for the welcome

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have lived in So Cal for 33 years. Loved it until the last few years. I live in a very expensive area, and our city never planned for growth or traffic. I have spent several weeks in the past year and half in Kansas and Oklahoma. My first visits I just kind of sat back and laughed at how 'backwards' everyone seemed to be. I now realize that most of those people are far happier and less stressed than I am.

I am tired; Tired of working 60+ hours a week, $3.69 a gallon for gasoline, high income tax to CA, sales tax, TRAFFIC!!! Gang problems, a huge influx of wealth from LA coming into my little town of Santa Barbara and bringing their manners, or lack thereof, with them.

I just want to escape. Many of my friends have left here because they simply could not afford it. I was very fortunate to have bought a home here about 10 years ago, and feeling nervous about the economy and talk of a real estate 'bubble', I sold it early last year and banked the money and rented a little cottage. I have no debt at all.
When I was 30 years old a very wise man (my dad) talked me into opening a SEP-IRA, and I now have $371,000 in that account, BUT can not and would not touch that money until age 60. I have $465,000 in CDs earning just over 5% from the sale of my home and other savings.

I realize many people think California is wonderful and in many ways it is, but just not for me.

Thanks again

Blue Skies
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome

I understand the need to escape SoCal, many of my family live there. Nice place to visit but...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blue skies couldn't agree with you more.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #10

Blue Skies,

I could not agree with you more. I escaped Southern California a year ago after living there for 36 years. It has become an insane rat race. The people who still live there, have been desensitized and have become numb to the forest fires, road rage, murders, robberies, and overall general rudeness. The serious chain reaction vehicle collision in the tunnel North of Los Angeles yesterday should surprise no one. You are now expected to drive 80+ miles an hour on I-5 in the fast lane , and leave be more than 3 car lengths from the car in front of you. If you stay too far from the vehicle in front of you, you'll promptly be cut off by an aggressive driver. People there seem to have no respect for human life.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

UPDATE. Moved to the midwest, hated it, came back to So. Cal in 2011.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Administrator

Thanks for the update. We were worried.

Did you move back to the same town in S Cal where you previously lived, or did you relocate within California.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sold my home in Santa Barbara in 2007, moved to midwest in 2008, and came back late 2011 to Santa Barbara. Bought a much smaller home for cash in mid 2012 - about 50% less than I sold for in 2007. When back to work full time for the past 3 years. Now planning on leaving CA again in 2 to 3 years. This time looking at Austin, TX, Bella Vista & Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #14

I didn't realize this was an old thread until I got to the update. Eager to hear the next stage.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Drivers are crazy in both of those places too.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Where did you move to in the Midwest the first time?

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Moved to Oklahoma in 2008. Had several friends who had moved there and they loved it.
When I moved in 2008, I took the money from the sale of my home at put it in CD's at 3.5%.....but only 12 month CD's. By 2011 I was getting 1.5%, and then even lower. Thus came back to CA and working again.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Skies, I too am living in So Cal, but planning on moving north to Orcas Island in WA state.

In fact, I'm just finishing taking a month off and snapped this picture with my cell phone a few days ago.

My wife and I bought a house here 3 years ago and we finally got to stay in it after the tenant who was building his own house finally moved out. I'm spending nearly a month here. Its great!

My DW wants to keep our house near San Diego for a year or two. However, as far as i'm concerned, the sooner we sell it the better.

Do you think you might like WA state? Not too much rain? Not anymore anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150816_203610.jpg (460.0 KB, 37 views)
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Skies, you didn't say what you hated about Oklahoma but having lived there for many years and having family still there, I can safely say I wouldn't want to move back. Don't get me wrong; I actually liked it when I lived there but I can't imagine moving back when there are so many other places one could live.
Austin is it's own city. You either like it or you don't. I used to not love it so much but now I think I could live there as well. One of my sons attends college there and, I don't know, maybe I've changed a lot over the years but I could see myself living there now. It's very laid back, very eclectic, very friendly.
I've vacationed in Hot Springs and liked it a lot. I'm just so used to warmer weather now (in Texas) that I have a hard time seeing myself moving much farther north than I am now. I'm in the city and I'm not sure I want to stay here long term, but the cost of living is relatively low, there are tons of things to do and I can see it would be easy to live as a retiree here. I'm just sort of tired of the traffic and my DH is more than sort of tired of the traffic. Which leads to a heads up on Austin - it's a great city but the traffic is pretty bad. Their highways aren't adequate for the number of cars that travel them. Still, night and day to So.Cal traffic. I love So. Cal but the traffic keeps me in Texas...
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
I didn't realize this was an old thread until I got to the update. Eager to hear the next stage.
Same here. I'm glad I scrolled down before asking the OP where he was getting 5% CD's...
Standard Staples is offline   Reply With Quote