Join Early Retirement Today

Just Made It Official
Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just Made It Official

Hello fellow early-retirees,

I’ve enjoyed reading the posts here for the past few weeks, and having just submitted my official 2-week notice this morning thought now was a good time to celebrate by joining the FIRE community. I’m a 56-year-old engineer—make that retired engineer. I’ve been easing into retirement since 2006, when I switched to part-time consulting employee status. The “easing in” approach worked well for me. At first, the freedom to do whatever I wanted on my days off was pure bliss. But after a few months, I realized I had a problem—I didn’t know what to do with all that extra time. Fortunately, my job still kept me busy much of the time, and the income still paid the bills.

In the meantime, I hired a financial planner to create my retirement plan, and was expecting to use him to manage my nest egg going forward…until he told me the fee for his services! That’s when I decided to try the Do-It-Yourself approach instead. With some trepidation, I started to read up on the subject. It proved to be not too difficult, so I kept at it. And then a strange thing happened. Much to my surprise, I discovered I actually liked learning about investing, and putting my new-found knowledge to work. What started out as a chore became a hobby, and then a passion. The subject just turned out to be a really good fit for me. Reading and studying the markets combined my math background with my interests in history and mass psychology (I’m an avid reader of economic and financial history—especially books on panics, bubbles and market crashes).

So, having figured out what I want to do (am now writing a book on investing), I decided I was ready to take the plunge and retire fully. I’m looking forward to joining the conversations here (no surprise, you’ll probably find me on the forums dealing with financial issues most of the time). When not writing I plan to spend much of my time at the local IHOP, enjoying late morning breakfasts with the other retirees.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, Chris M! Sounds like you've given yourself a fabulous Christmas present by retiring. I look forward to more posts from you and hearing when your book is published.

omni

Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Welcome aboard, Chris M! Sounds like you've given yourself a fabulous Christmas present by retiring. I look forward to more posts from you and hearing when your book is published.

omni
Thank you omni, and I'll let you know on the book (hopefully somewhere around mid-2014).

Chris
Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Welcome! You might want to hop on over to the Life After Fire forum and add yourself to the Class of 2014 thread.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum! There are a few engineers in the wings here.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Like the OP, I too made it my "job" to do my own investing and portfolio management. What other retirement hobby can save you fees and earn you extra income? Now that I am my own tax accountant, financial adviser, estate attorney, and portfolio manager - I save at least $50K/year. And I do a better job of it, than somebody that may not have my best interests in mind. Not bad for a part time job that takes only a few hours a week, and it's fun to boot!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

ChrisM,
Being an engineer, you might enjoy a retirement book written by another engineer: Jim Otar. I enjoyed his book Unveiling the Retirement Myth.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

Welcome to the club, Mike.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
ChrisM,
Being an engineer, you might enjoy a retirement book written by another engineer: Jim Otar. I enjoyed his book Unveiling the Retirement Myth.
racy, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

Chris
Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Welcome! You might want to hop on over to the Life After Fire forum and add yourself to the Class of 2014 thread.
Thanks Hermit, I just added my name to the list.

Chris
Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. And don't forget to give us all a discount on your book.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Welcome. And don't forget to give us all a discount on your book.
Will do!