Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

EUP, if you wanted our help wouldn't it have been far wiser to ask for it prior to getting off on the wrong foot with posts like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPRAXIA View Post
You mean that I also do this for a living and so any advice I offer isn't just the ramblings of an amateur? Because yes; you're quite right I have experience building retirements and the level of advice I have found so far on this forum is disappointing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Welcome to the board Eupraxia, noted that the above was your first post. As the last five years have shown, most big banks and Wall Street firms are not deserving of much faith and tend to really rip off investors, though I note that you may be involved with them. Hang around and you'll find that most of us are DIY investors, with Fidelity and Vanguard most often used.

Welcome to post on "Hi, I am" and tell us a bit about yourself! Me, I'm a retired 60-something NASA engineer who does income taxes on the side, DIY investor (learned my lesson the hard way as most of us do), and two active boys at home
Hi btw RE2Boys. I did notice that what you described is the usual first step on this board but I specifically didn't write an introductory thread as you describe because I am not here to advertise myself but since I'm not going to lie about who I am or what I do I didn't see a way to make such a post in a way that wouldn't be construed as some sort of ad. (And given the level of vitriol from some here I think I was absolutely right to do so.) By DIY do you mean making your own stock selections or fund selections?
Thanks for replying if you have the time
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
EUP, if you wanted our help wouldn't it have been far wiser to ask for it prior to getting off on the wrong foot with posts like this?
Only said that after I was attacked.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Only said that after I was attacked.
"He hit me first" is a childish excuse for insulting the entire forum.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
But it is a good way to get the post count up and keep the thread in view.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBecker View Post
Hi All,

I retired from the federal government in 2009 and just moved my TSP account to an IRA. The TSP is a great system, but has two drawbacks: limited investment options and severe restrictions on transfers. So the reason for doing this was to have access to more investment options and fewer restrictions. Now I'm like a kid in a candy-store, all these choices ... it's scary!

Thanks to everyone for the opinions posted here, they are a valuable resource to me.

Regards,
Chuck
Since the OP's concerns got buried in other, ahem, stuff, I thought I'd address it. Chuck, the best thing you can do is start reading about investments, allocations, and risk tolerance and then work from there. This is your money, and you are responsible for it, even if you pay someone else to manage it (this means anything from what you pay a mutual fund manager that is buried within the fund fees, to paying an advisor to manage your account individually). The best single piece of advice I can offer is to understand that no one cares as much about your money as you do, and act accordingly. No need to be paranoid, but understand the conflicts of interest inherent in investment advice.

There are some good books to read on the subject, and many are geared to beginners. But it okay to take some time over your decisions and not rush into any specific investments. And good luck to you and welcome!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Is there an excuse for attacking me based of of the post:

"Putting a lot of faith in Vanguard are you?"

And any insult to the whole forum (I'm assuming that you're talking about when I said that so far the level of advice I was finding on here was disappointing); was based solely on my opinions on most of the advice giving on here.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, Eupraxia, it looks like you were commenting to MartyB that he is putting a lot of faith in Vanguard. Okay.

I don't really see any advice given on this thread to the OP, just a few people saying what they did with their nest eggs. I also don't see those comments as being disappointing or not disappointing, they are just responses to the OP.

I would be curious why you think they are disappointing and why you think it is advice?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
By DIY do you mean making your own stock selections or fund selections?
Quote:
Since the OP's concerns got buried in other, ahem, stuff, I thought I'd address it. Chuck, the best thing you can do is start reading about investments, allocations, and risk tolerance and then work from there. This is your money, and you are responsible for it, even if you pay someone else to manage it (this means anything from what you pay a mutual fund manager that is buried within the fund fees, to paying an advisor to manage your account individually). The best single piece of advice I can offer is to understand that no one cares as much about your money as you do, and act accordingly. No need to be paranoid, but understand the conflicts of interest inherent in investment advice.
I think Sarah in SC (the second quote) summarizes the attitude of most on this forum. It is the exchange of ideas and items to consider that make this board valuable to most participants.

DIY does mean making my own stock, mutual fund selections but also and most importantly asset allocation. Also include what investment vehicles to participate in....bonds, etf, annuities, etc.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
DIY does mean making my own stock, mutual fund selections but also and most importantly asset allocation. Also include what investment vehicles to participate in....bonds, etf, annuities, etc.
Thanks RE2Boys, you might also consider REIT's if you have never invested in them. (Stands for Real Estate Investment Trust's). They are a diversified way of adding real estate of any type to a portfolio. As you are retired they may be a fit for you because they are required (by rule) pay out over 90% of their earnings as a sort of dividend so they can be great income investments. But the main advantage is that they tend to be uncorrelated with the stock market so they add some nice diversification (although I have found that they generally are one of the last securities that investors are aware of).

Happy retirement
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there an excuse for attacking me based of of the post:

"Putting a lot of faith in Vanguard are you?"

And any insult to the whole forum (I'm assuming that you're talking about when I said that so far the level of advice I was finding on here was disappointing); was based solely on my opinions on most of the advice giving on here.
Dude, you gotta go back and review that Dale Carnegie course.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
Thanks RE2Boys, you might also consider REIT's if you have never invested in them. (Stands for Real Estate Investment Trust's). They are a diversified way of adding real estate of any type to a portfolio. As you are retired they may be a fit for you because they are required (by rule) pay out over 90% of their earnings as a sort of dividend so they can be great income investments. But the main advantage is that they tend to be uncorrelated with the stock market so they add some nice diversification (although I have found that they generally are one of the last securities that investors are aware of).

Happy retirement
There was a discussion on REIT's as part of a retirement portfolio here if the OP is interested.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...lio-58528.html

There are more discussions on REIT's on this site which a search will reveal easily enough.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Welcome to post on "Hi, I am" and tell us a bit about yourself! Me, I'm a retired 60-something NASA engineer who does income taxes on the side, DIY investor (learned my lesson the hard way as most of us do), and two active boys at home
Off topic. I was at GSFC. What center were you at?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #34
gone traveling

Never once said that there weren't discussions on REIT's on here though did I? Just told this particular poster about something he may not have been aware of. If that's not the point of a forum than forums of all sorts could just be retired because every point of knowledge is surely already written down someplace else anyway. Excellent idea to post to a further discussion; I was relying on RE2Boys' own searching ability if he wanted to learn more about them specifically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There was a discussion on REIT's as part of a retirement portfolio here if the OP is interested.

There are more discussions on REIT's on this site which a search will reveal easily enough.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dude, you gotta go back and review that Dale Carnegie course.
I'd ask for a refund, really, at this point.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Ask, Hell. Demand one and don't take no for an answer!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Never once said that there weren't discussions on REIT's on here though did I?Just told this particular poster about something he may not have been aware of. If that's not the point of a forum than forums of all sorts could just be retired because every point of knowledge is surely already written down someplace else anyway. Excellent idea to post to a further discussion; I was relying on RE2Boys' own searching ability if he wanted to learn more about them specifically.
Where in my post did I suggest that you said anything negative?

Since you had brought up the excellent subject on REIT's all I was doing was pointing the OP (Original Poster) at a discussion on REIT's as part of a retirement portfolio.

You seem to be a fairly balanced guy, with a chip on each shoulder.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But to whom would they send the refund: his new screenname or his old one? I think a completely new account is in order if a person wants to turn over a new leaf.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

For the OP's question, my retirement portfolio is about equally divided between TSP and a brokerage account so I feel comfortable with both range of choices and costs without transferring between TSP and IRAs.

For EUPRAXIA's brokerage question, I've been a Fidelity customer for many years and have been satisfied with the variety of investment options, access to non-Fidelity products, ability to do research and costs/fees.

Hope this helps.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You mean that I also do this for a living and so any advice I offer isn't just the ramblings of an amateur? Because yes; you're quite right I have experience building retirements and the level of advice I have found so far on this forum is disappointing.
We always appreciate having people drop by to show us how we're doing it wrong.

So... for how many years have you been financially independent?

Quote:
Speaking of Rick Ferri and correlation:
Basics of Asset Allocation (Part 2 of 2)

Quote:
You seem to be a fairly balanced guy, with a chip on each shoulder.
I'm going to plagiarize this quote several times a month... thanks!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote