Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just moved my TSP to an IRA
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Just moved my TSP to an IRA

Hi All,

I retired from the federal government in 2009 and just moved my TSP account to an IRA. The TSP is a great system, but has two drawbacks: limited investment options and severe restrictions on transfers. So the reason for doing this was to have access to more investment options and fewer restrictions. Now I'm like a kid in a candy-store, all these choices ... it's scary!

Thanks to everyone for the opinions posted here, they are a valuable resource to me.

Regards,
Chuck
ChuckBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chuck,
Welcome to the board. I have a little in my TSP and will probably be transferring quite a bit more to it from my Solo 401K once I quit working, and the rest from that Solo 401K will go to my IRA at Vanguard.

The TSPs exceptionally low costs and the availability of the G Fund (very low volatility and for the last 20+ years its yield averaged about 1.8% above the 3 year T-Bill) are unavailable anywhere else. The TSP won't meet all my investing needs, but for some portions of my asset mix the TSP absolutely cannot be beat. I don't think I'd ever entirely close my TSP account--it just makes sense (to me) to keep that option open for the future.

Again, welcome.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What samclem said.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Me too. I like the TSP, moved an IRA into it while working. When I retired I did roll over about 1/3 of the TSP into an IRA to get a few investment options (REIT, foreign bonds) and get withdrawal flexibility but I expect to use the G fund as my major bond holding. The TSP is low cost, even lower than Vanguard, just about all anyone needs for retirement. I currently get monthly withdrawals which can only be changed once a year but I have the IRA account if I need immediate funds. At least keep some money in the TSP to keep it open and use the G fund.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

I'm gonna keep around $200k in the TSP after retirement. Roth IRA's with Vanguard, plus wife has a rollover 401k/IRA with Vanguard as well. Not sure about what exactly we'll do later, but likely will move the rest of wife's 401k into the VG IRA, keeping mine in the TSP.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
gone traveling

Putting quite a lot of faith in vanguard?
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum, Chuck.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPRAXIA View Post
Welcome to the board Eupraxia, noted that the above was your first post. As the last five years have shown, most big banks and Wall Street firms are not deserving of much faith and tend to really rip off investors, though I note that you may be involved with them. Hang around and you'll find that most of us are DIY investors, with Fidelity and Vanguard most often used.

Welcome to post on "Hi, I am" and tell us a bit about yourself! Me, I'm a retired 60-something NASA engineer who does income taxes on the side, DIY investor (learned my lesson the hard way as most of us do), and two active boys at home
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Welcome to the board Eupraxia, noted that the above was your first post.
Welcome to post on "Hi, I am" and tell us a bit about yourself!
Quote:
About EUPRAXIA:
Gender undisclosed
State USA
Occupation ANALYST
Interests Portfolio Building
Biography: Always Interested in designing and implementing advanced portfolios for customers and actively managing.
Oh, I think that everything we need to know is already in their profile...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Oh, I think that everything we need to know is already in their profile...
You mean that I also do this for a living and so any advice I offer isn't just the ramblings of an amateur? Because yes; you're quite right I have experience building retirements and the level of advice I have found so far on this forum is disappointing.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mean that I also do this for a living and so any advice I offer isn't just the ramblings of an amateur? Because yes; you're quite right I have experience building retirements and the level of advice I have found so far on this forum is disappointing.
How to win friends and influence people. I predict this poster will disappear and/or return under a different user name.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank goodness you've shown up! Hopefully you've arrived in time to save us from ourselves...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now hold on just a minute! Some of my best friends are rambling amateurs.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thank goodness you've shown up! Hopefully you've arrived in time to save us from ourselves...
On the contrary you are on your own; I've only joined this site momentarily to read up on what average investors are currently pursuing.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
On the contrary you are on your own;
No! No!

Please save us from our rambling amateur investment strategies before it is too late!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #16

Ya'all are being too quick to judge. Eupraxia may have a lot to add to the various discussions and have a somewhat different perspective that could be helpful. Always can learn more. Of course, if Eupraxia is a salesman on commission, then I'd consider his messages in a different light. We've got some financial professionals on the board that add a lot, they bring a different perspective without being "holier than us" mentality
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
On the contrary you are on your own; I've only joined this site momentarily to read up on what average investors are currently pursuing.
I'm pursuing a life of decadence
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #18

Wow...step away for a little while to do some w**k and look what happens.......!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
We've got some financial professionals on the board that add a lot, they bring a different perspective without being "holier than us" mentality
+1

Unfortunately this one doesn't appear to be cut from that mold.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
gone traveling

Wow, trolls... must be a lot of bridges in texas

This fits with early-retirements most recent poll but does anybody here want to clarify what exactly attracts them to their current brokerage? (BTW, I AM NOT INVOLVED IN A BROKER DEALER AND MAKE NO COMMISSION WHATSOEVER FROM TRADES. BUT I ALSO DEAL WITH BROKERAGES AND IN A MAJOR WAY AS A CUSTOMER SO ANY INPUT WOULD BE USEFUL BOTH TO ME AND TO OTHERS.)

I can post this question in another thread if you'd like but I figured since this thread has so much action you might not mind.\

P.S. My prime brokerage that I use is very cheap but offers less fund choices than peoples' likely favorite brokerages on this website and requires slightly larger account sizes, I'm not interested in advertising for them or for my firm on this site though so I won't share details unless individuals want to know this brokerage.