Just pulled the trigger

freddyw

Recycles dryer sheets
H!

This is my first post although I have browsed the board several times. There definitely is a wealth of knowledge to be had reading the posts.

I just recently "pulled the trigger" and notified my supervisor that I will be retiring at the end of the first quarter. I am 52 and have worked for a major telecommunications firm for the last 23 years. We've been through so many mergers over the last 10 years I've lost count! Needless to say every time we merge with another corporation it has been a nightmare and I am ready to go.

Hobbies include backpacking, and general aviation. I fly a Mooney and travel up and down the East coast as time permits. I look forward to spending more time enjoying my hobbies as well as my grandchildren. I also look forward to participating in this forum and learning alot about life in the ER lane. :D

Good Luck I just did the same thing.
26 years with the Fed gov and I'm 50 now..
I can not wait my last day is 31 march 2008..

freddyw, congratulations!

Do you have any good ER secrets for us? A Mooney sounds like a pretty expensive hobby :)

Coach

Congratulations freddyw,

I haven't flown for years. I'm always impressed when someone keeps at it because it costs so much. I always liked the specs on the Mooney, it had good speed for the cost. Welcome, and happy flying.

I don't have any magic nuggets of wisdom other than I tried to save as much as possible over the last 20 years investing in Index funds for the most part. My wife and I have tried to live "below our means" similar to the thinking in The Millionaire Next Door and have gradually accummulated our wealth.
You are absolutely right about the Mooney. It is an expensive hobby especially with aviation fuel going through the roof ($5.00/gallon). I have budgeted for flying her about 10 hours per month but if the rest of the budget doesn't go as planned I may have to find another hobby. The Mooney has given us the ability to visit relatives in FL, NJ, CT and SC. Most travel time is under 3 hours so it definitely is the way to go if you are limited by time.

Back
Top Bottom