Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
just QUIT at 44.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 25
just QUIT at 44.

I FINALLY CALLED IT QUIT and offered to sell my biz to a friend. He has until next weekend to think about it and I have until next weekend to reverse course. I'm a little scared cause my days of making mucho dinero will come to a complete stop. But I'm also satisfied that maybe I already have enough money for a very comfortable lifestyle to no longer need any more money. Did I make the right choice to quit now? Here's my current situation if I quit now:

Age: 44, married w/ 10yo
Cash saving: $1.5M ($1.2M + $300k from biz sale)
SEP-IRA: $525k (all in Vanguard ETF)
RE invest worth: $1.7M (20+ new homes paid in full $1.2M)
RE monthly income: $14k net
mortgage: zero
debt: zero

$170K annual rental income + $65k annual cash withdraw ($1.5M saving at 1% interest over 25 years) = $235K annual living money for the next 25 years. I take social security at 62 if allowed...don't care to wait until 70 for increased benefit. I also withdraw from my IRA at 60 if allowed. Rental properties could be sold off if money is tight or kid need money for college. Is my calculation and expectation correct? Am I missing anything?
__________________

__________________
joebloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
Looks like you're good to go. Congratulations!
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 534
You don't say what your expenses are but most people could make your numbers work, that's for sure.


Congrats, from another who retired at 44 with a youngster at home.
__________________
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
You don't say what your expenses are but most people could make your numbers work, that's for sure...
+1 Most people would consider $235k a year income to still be mucho dinero.

If your $1.5m is all cash, I don't think a 4.3% WR is sustainable but you probably have a lot of wiggle room.

Congratulations. Financially you are all set.

But..... are you ready emotionally? What are you going to do all day?
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 721
Very nice- Congrats!
__________________
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
heeyy_joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madeira Beach Fl
Posts: 1,403
Learn to fly and buy a plane.
__________________
_______________________________________________
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But..... are you ready emotionally? What are you going to do all day?
Seriously?
__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Seriously?
Believe it or not, that is a significant issue for some people.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 135
Congrats - on all aspects of your portfolio. The RE income will sontinue as long as you hold it, which will likely be until you determine that it's more of a PITA than you are willing to deal with. At age 44, that could be a long time, and if you actively manage or maintain your income RE, that might be something to keep you engaged just enough. Or, if you decide to hire out the management, you seem to have plenty of cash flow for that also. Enjoy!
__________________
Best!
-AJ
ajs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Believe it or not, that is a significant issue for some people.

So true... always better to be running toward something rather than away from something. At age 44, you have a lot of time to fill, be aware and plan accordingly. Oh... and enjoy!
__________________
Best!
-AJ
ajs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But..... are you ready emotionally? What are you going to do all day?

With 20+ rental houses I think there would be plenty to do while retired? That is an average of one new roof a year and a leaky toilet every two weeks.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
With 20+ rental houses I think there would be plenty to do while retired? That is an average of one new roof a year and a leaky toilet every two weeks.
Yuck! Sounds like w*rk to me.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
With 20+ rental houses I think there would be plenty to do while retired? That is an average of one new roof a year and a leaky toilet every two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yuck! Sounds like w*rk to me.
Good points and that had crossed my mind as well, but it sounds like the OP is pulling off managing the properties and working now so is seems he'll have some free time on his hands.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
With 20+ rental houses I think there would be plenty to do while retired? That is an average of one new roof a year and a leaky toilet every two weeks.
The OP may have farmed out all property management tasks to a firm.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 Most people would consider $235k a year income to still be mucho dinero.
That's a ton of cash!
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
The OP may have farmed out all property management tasks to a firm.
Does make you wonder if we are in a rental bubble when you can get a 10% net return after farming out all of the work (if the OP has indeed done that).
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
With 20+ rental houses I think there would be plenty to do while retired? That is an average of one new roof a year and a leaky toilet every two weeks.
These were all built within last 7 years so major problem coming. Only one oven needed to be replaced. A few properties needed laminate floor and fresh paint. Handyman or mgmt companies do everything.

These 3BR/2.5BA townhouses were purchased for $25k-$45k in 2011-2013, and renting out for $750-$850 monthly. The cap rate looked great and the foreclosed properties were new so I bought them unseen, based on real estate agent description. I stopped buying cause prices now $55k-$85k; not great deals anymore.
__________________
joebloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
These were all built within last 7 years so major problem coming. Only one oven needed to be replaced. A few properties needed laminate floor and fresh paint. Handyman or mgmt companies do everything.

These 3BR/2.5BA townhouses were purchased for $25k-$45k in 2011-2013, and renting out for $750-$850 monthly. The cap rate looked great and the foreclosed properties were new so I bought them unseen, based on real estate agent description. I stopped buying cause prices now $55k-$85k; not great deals anymore.
$850 a month for a $45k property is very good. That type of deal can't be found around here. Even a property soaked in pee from 29 cats and used as a meth lab would be way more than $45k around here.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
I FINALLY CALLED IT QUIT and offered to sell my biz to a friend. He has until next weekend to think about it and I have until next weekend to reverse course. I'm a little scared cause my days of making mucho dinero will come to a complete stop. But I'm also satisfied that maybe I already have enough money for a very comfortable lifestyle to no longer need any more money. Did I make the right choice to quit now? Here's my current situation if I quit now:

Age: 44, married w/ 10yo
Cash saving: $1.5M ($1.2M + $300k from biz sale)
SEP-IRA: $525k (all in Vanguard ETF)
RE invest worth: $1.7M (20+ new homes paid in full $1.2M)
RE monthly income: $14k net
mortgage: zero
debt: zero

$170K annual rental income + $65k annual cash withdraw ($1.5M saving at 1% interest over 25 years) = $235K annual living money for the next 25 years. I take social security at 62 if allowed...don't care to wait until 70 for increased benefit. I also withdraw from my IRA at 60 if allowed. Rental properties could be sold off if money is tight or kid need money for college. Is my calculation and expectation correct? Am I missing anything?
Have you take tax into account? Also which state you get such high rental return?
I have a few properties in different state. None of them returns as high as yours.
good job!
__________________
sewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
$850 a month for a $45k property is very good. That type of deal can't be found around here. Even a property soaked in pee from 29 cats and used as a meth lab would be way more than $45k around here.

Where does JoeBlow live?
__________________

__________________
dshawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why quit? GTM Life after FIRE 41 12-07-2005 06:29 PM
I Can Quit Anytime...Really I Can REWahoo Other topics 29 08-13-2005 01:22 PM
Just can't quit MRGALT2U Life after FIRE 27 07-12-2005 08:37 PM
newbie: quit @ 39, now 49 pbrane Hi, I am... 6 05-15-2005 11:03 AM
Why don't more people just quit? RockMiner Other topics 66 05-02-2005 02:21 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.