Join Early Retirement Today

Just retired at 49.95 years old
Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just retired at 49.95 years old

My goal for a long time has been to retire before I was 50. I just did it a few weeks ago and my birthday is next week. As you can probably figure out from the title, I am an engineer and a numbers geek. I calculated our finances every which way that I could think of, and we should be OK. I just could not take living life on a never stopping treadmill and decided it was time to make a change.

DW is completely on board with the decision (she even pushed me to retire sooner, but I was not comfortable with it until now.) Our kids (7 of them ages 2 to 15) already love having me home more.

I will be working 2 days a week through the end of June and then 1 day a week from home for a while as I transition out of the technical side of my job. The really stressful (management side) parts have already disappeared.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

timmar,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're doing great.

omni

Old 06-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations, I too made a similar choice recently. You will never regret having more time with your children. I missed too many important events with my older boys during my military career and now hope to make up for some of that with my 13 year old son.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I also wanted to retire by 50 but two market crashes of 2000 and 2008 shattered all my plans. Recent recovery put me back on track for 2020. What will be your expenses like for a year? 7 kids and their college education…million dollars right there.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
I also wanted to retire by 50 but two market crashes of 2000 and 2008 shattered all my plans. Recent recovery put me back on track for 2020. What will be your expenses like for a year? 7 kids and their college education…million dollars right there.
Hope you get there sooner I listed my expenses, all based on about 11 years of tracking on a spreadsheet, in my introduction thread...I think you can link off of my profile. Best of luck.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
College is a concern. But DW and I each paid for all of our college expenses and we turned out OK. We have several good to excellent state schools within driving distance and we can cover those expenses. If they want to go out of state or private then they are on their own for the difference.

Our expenses are $60k per year and have been for the last 3 years. Our backup plan for income is that I have my professional engineering license and can pick up some contract work in the future.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! It sounds like you've got good backups. That should calm any nerves you may have about early retirement. Before 50 is really impressive!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations, your time with the kids will be priceless. Enjoy the time and freedom. It sounds like you have a good idea on expenses and plans, with some fallback if needed. I am also an engr and PE, but still working at 50. No more than 2 more years for me, and looking forward to it!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Very nice! I too had a plan to retire by 50 and my Megacorp held me to it by laying me off last year at 47. It's all good, though, and so far, even 14 months later, it's been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was freed at 49 also! Enjoy, time is now on your side!