Join Early Retirement Today
Just retired at 58 will soon need to manage allocation of 401k in withdrawal mode
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Just retired at 58 will soon need to manage allocation of 401k in withdrawal mode

I'm at the beach having a ball, taking a year off as a test run to retirement, living off of capital gains from the sale of my prior home and downsizing. Felt quite confident investing and building wealth while I was working, making a good income and making contributions to 401k, less confident about managing it once I start making withdrawals from 401k, especially with current ZIRP? 58 years old, just over $1M in retirement plans and about $55k yearly expenses (including a small mortgage fixed 3.65%), in good health with a retiree health plan until I go on medicare but no pension. Because I have no pension would like to try to hold of on SS until age 70, perhaps file on my ex's at full retirement age and defer mine to 70 for maximum lifetime payment just in case I outlive my retirement accounts? The goal is to not outlive them so a solid allocation/withdrawal strategy will be key.

ILMfreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
What is your asset allocation for the $1m in retirement plans? Have you run your situation through Firecalc? Depending on how much your SS is, I'm not sure if your are well positioned to retire now unless you have overestimated your expenses.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
You will do fine if you can trim your cost of living. Since you are 8-12 years from SS or maybe less you can plan to take say 4% plus 10K a year now then cut back after SS. I did what you plan and took half my ex's SS at FRM but it is less than $800 a month not a fortune but after 70 will get mine of about 2.5K a month. The thing to do is trim expenses to only what you really care about try to live on 40K a year or at the most 45K so you don't freak out when the markets are down.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote