Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If your DH will continue to work, will your working another 12 months make all that much difference? I'd say, spend a few months looking on the outside and see what sort of reaction you get. If nothing pans out and nothing changes for the better at your current workplace, then re-evaluate leaving with only 10 months left.

One reality for many older folks who are looking for a job change is that potential new employers may have reservations, fearing you will not stay long enough to make a contribution or being over qualified and unhappy with what they have to offer should you be looking for something less stressful responsibilty wise.

Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
You don't know for certain you will leave in a year. It may be more of the same or your stress and insomnia may disappear. Either way, I'm sure that as long as you will work in your new job, you will provide value to your new company and you are more likely than other employees to leave with a good transition plan in place because you'll know months in advance that you are leaving.

When applying for a job, you don't need to tell your new employer every thought in your head.

If you have the energy to take on another similar job, I think that's a great idea. I wish I had done that, but I was just too burnt out at the end and I had no enthusiasm for taking a job in another MegaCorp---I was just so certain it would be more of the same.

If you still want to ER even with a new job, you'll be just that much more confident about your decision. It will be much easier to get another similar job now while you are still employed, so taking off a year or two and then trying this is probably not an option.

BUT---there's a lot of stress in a new job. I think in most cases, the first three months or so can be very difficult, so I think you should be financially ready to quit that new job at any point.

Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote