Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinnyc View Post
I would sell the rental property too, with 2,000 in emergency fund how do you plan on fixing the boiler/roof/sewer line when they break. When the tenant tells you they saw mice ,the wires in the wall are shorting out, they tripped on the what ever that they will claim was your fault and they won't pay till you remedy the issue. Then they call the local building department to report violations wether real or imagined. They call the I.r.s on you because they think you not reporting the rent. Being a landlord can be a nightmare. As far as not being good making a written budget , you will get better with time. The first few are guesses, after a few months you will be real close

Considering nothing was wrong with the place except carpet and painting, I'm keeping it. Just because I'm starting with $2,000 doesn't mean I am not actively saving way more now. Plus, I paid $7k; the house is projected to be worth $50k+ next year and is already valued at $30k. So I'm going to hold out and if worse comes to worse, then I'll sell as you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #42
gone traveling

I didn't mean to be a downer on you, for that I apologize,. I wS pointing out that things happen , I was pointing out what happens to landlords and it would be prudent to have a larger reserve when buying investment property. I wanted to give you an opposing view, everyone was telling you it was all roses, and I saw a potential downside and if it happened to you I wanted you to be alert the the very real possibility of problems, so that your not blind sided.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinnyc View Post
I didn't mean to be a downer on you, for that I apologize,. I wS pointing out that things happen , I was pointing out what happens to landlords and it would be prudent to have a larger reserve when buying investment property. I wanted to give you an opposing view, everyone was telling you it was all roses, and I saw a potential downside and if it happened to you I wanted you to be alert the the very real possibility of problems, so that your not blind sided.

No I got a bit defensive because of the BM comment--I apologize as well. Truth hurts, I guess lol. I really joined to hear the cold, hard truth, so I need to hear all sides. You are right. I'm probably better off flipping the property for savings sake. That $ is what I need to build my nest egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Staples View Post
Too many people get stuck on the concept of "I have $X, I allocate/spend $X and I'll be okay," which leads to lifestyle creep. As your income goes up, so does your spending.
Another way is to use percentages or fractions of your income as it rises so you can have at least a little lifestyle creep. Ten years from now you're going to want to splurge a little once in a while and that's okay, you have to live a life too.

The important thing is to spend less that your income.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Another way is to use percentages or fractions of your income as it rises so you can have at least a little lifestyle creep. Ten years from now you're going to want to splurge a little once in a while and that's okay, you have to live a life too.

The important thing is to spend less that your income.
+1. Just don't let lifestyle creep up too much.

Alas, I'm guilty of splurging too much and just all around wasteful spending in my late 20s. Regular wages were flat and sometimes even declined but for a couple of years, we got a lot of overtime due to personnel attrition. The overtime wasn't part of my normal budget and I pretty much just spent it all.

Thankfully, woke up after a 2-year spending spree.