Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Leaving Corporate America
Old 08-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Leaving Corporate America

I'm 48, married with two children (19 & 16 with college funds set aside) and own my home outright. After 26 years in a variety of senior level corporate positions, I lost all interest in continuing to to fight the bureaucracies and politics of the business world and called it quits four months ago. My wife is a school teacher so we don't face the issue of finding reasonable health insurance. I have slightly over $1 million in a variety of retirement accounts and $1.9 million in CDs, municipal bond funds, mutual funds and individual stocks. My annual interest and dividends is approximately $98K and my annual expenses are approximatley $62K. Here's my question. While my finances are in order, I'm not ready to "live on the golf course" and would be interested in working part-time (or full-time under the right circumstances) doing something that is intersting and meaningful. I presently do some volunteer work for a non profit which is rewarding, but it doesn't fill my week and I still have a yearning to make a little money (reinforcement for my work). I'm not interested in substitute teaching and woulf prefer to work in an organization where I can get social interaction. Any thoughts, comments, advice or questions would be most appreciated.

horrnsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Leaving Corporate America
Old 08-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrnsfan
Here's my question.* While my finances are in order, I'm not ready to "live on the golf course" and would be interested in working part-time (or full-time under the right circumstances) doing something that is intersting and meaningful.* I presently do some volunteer work for a non profit which is rewarding, but it doesn't fill my week and I still have a yearning to make a little money (reinforcement for my work).* I'm not interested in substitute teaching and woulf prefer to work in an organization where I can get social interaction. Any thoughts, comments, advice or questions would be most appreciated.*
Welcome to the board, Horrnsfan.

Well, you could take up surfing and live at the beach. Or you could work through Ernie Zelinski's Get-A-Life Tree of brainstorming your activities.

Or you could try two books: Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More", which tends to reinforce what you've already learned, and Julie Jansen's "I Don't Know What I Want". Her self-assessments & surveys are designed for career-changing and for finding your avocation.

You would hope that by this point in your life you'd feel rewarded by things other than money, but it's a transition process.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is a collection of web sites that might help give you some ideas:

http://www.golio.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page15.html

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about getting involved in SCORE?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote