Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Lifetime Income Variable Annuity
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Lifetime Income Variable Annuity

56 years old, looking to retire at 65, talking with financial guy regarding 100K in a Lifetime Income annuity (represents 15% of current nestegg) - looks good on paper to have 8% payout at 65 for rest of life - but have read threads from folks who say these are not good investments. Looking for advice or alternatives to offer a better payout in the time frame I have. I am truly not that informed about investing.
Little Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Run, as fast as you possibly can. If this dude shows up at the door, sic the dog on him.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

+1

The reader digest version of any for annuity is that much of the money is return of your principal. So that 8% isn't an actual interest rate but based on you giving them your money for 9 year and then them gradually giving your money back when you turn 65. The name makes it sound like this a variable or equity index annuity. These are very complex products design to confuse virtually everyone.

If you don't run away, feel free to post more details on the product and the forum will be happy to provide the educate that the insurance salesman don't want you to know.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would not buy it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Run, as fast as you possibly can. If this dude shows up at the door, sic the dog on him.
+1 Run from the snake-oil salesman.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #6

No , No , No, and stay away from this sales/finance guy ! A Variable Annuity is a great product, FOR THE SALESMAN , great for THE COMPANY , AND A BAD DEAL FOR YOU. Hey now, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Just say no.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I always feel very poorly informed when others talk of annuities. I know that SPIA's (single premium immediate annuities) don't have the same negative connotations as variables, but I'd love to have a brief explanation of the difference, and reasons why SPIA's are OK.
teekaymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Blind View Post
Looking for advice or alternatives to offer a better payout in the time frame I have.
Do this:

Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
I always feel very poorly informed when others talk of annuities. I know that SPIA's (single premium immediate annuities) don't have the same negative connotations as variables, but I'd love to have a brief explanation of the difference, and reasons why SPIA's are OK.
That's a good question, and I'm not informed enough to give you the answer.

I think it would also be helpful if people gave a reason why they should run away and not buy it. You know that most people dealing with a salesman are going to be contacted again. If they say "No, I'm not interested, because some guy in the internet told me to run away", any sales guy worth his salt is going to slime his way around that. clifp is the only one who gave a decent reason, and nobody has mentioned what I assume is the #1 reason, the expenses.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
Someone will be along shortly with a more precise response, but the bottom line is "fees".

A bare-bones SPIA is a reasonably straightforward insurance instrument with a lot of competition from insurance companies, resulting in lower costs.

Variable annuities - complete with a jumble of bells, whistles, smoke and mirrors - are far more complex and have substantially greater (hidden) costs. As a result, they offer greater profit opportunity for the insurance co. and their salescritters. VA's complexity means the fees are often hidden and difficult to understand. The complexity also makes it difficult to compare apples to apples to other VA's, allowing snake oil salesman to sell the sizzle and leave the buyer to discover too late they were sold something that isn't at all what they thought it was.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

I am work now but here are the base facts I can see off the quote sheet at a quick glance:

Lincoln Lifetime Income Advantage 2.0 Protected Funds (Product name FUSION)
Guarantee of principal

Contingent Deferred Sales Charge of 1%
Mortality and Expense Risk Charge of .85%
Underlying Fund Management expense of 1.09%
Elected Living Benefit charge of 1.05%
Ability to grow 5% in years with no withdrawals

Hope this helps you guys that know these things. So far everyone says stay away except for the guy selling - might be a clue there.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So you are paying 4% in fees each year. Yikes...

Oh, and if you read the 60+ pages of details about the product, you may find there are a differences in how the salesperson explained how the annuity works and how it actually does.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My DF retired from the insurance business in 1978. Don't know if variable annuitys were a product then or not, but he did sell alot of fixed.

Years later, when I was learning to invest for myself, I asked why he had no annuitys. His response was "don't go near any type of annuity product, you can do much better on your own". He did say for some folks they were fine(those that didn't understand investing).

You can also do much better, listen to the folks here!

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am work now but here are the base facts I can see off the quote sheet at a quick glance:

Lincoln Lifetime Income Advantage 2.0 Protected Funds (Product name FUSION)
Guarantee of principal

Hope this helps you guys that know these things. So far everyone says stay away except for the guy selling - might be a clue there.
Holy crap! 4% in fees annually?!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:

So they will charge you 4%/year and limit the maximum growth during good years to 5%. They will keep any gains above 5%. You take the risk, they take any gains.

Heads they win, tails you loose. Run, Run, Run!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although I think SPIA's do have a place in some portfolios and may become attractive to some (including me) when/if interest rates rise a bit, variable annuities (VA's) are just too confusing for me.

I recently had an advisor suggest considering a variable policy as a way to fund LTC. I was skeptical, but asked him to send me a few sample policies he thought I should consider. REW's earlier comment about reading the 60+ pages was right. In my work I routinely review complex contracts and financials, but even after reading through these twice I couldn't quite define exactly what I was getting. If I can't define risk/cost/reward I don't want it.

My guess is that the policies are confusing for a reason...
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #17

Wow , 4% fees . I say buy the stock of the company, Lincoln Financial (LNC) , not the annuity products they sell. P/E is just over 11 , div. yield 1.34%. chart looks ok.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Variable annuities are something to stay very far, far away from. They are designed to profit the salesman and the company, not you.

The fees, as the others have said are terribly high. Much of it is the salesman's commission - and that's a major reason why he's so eager to sell it to you.

If you really must consider an annuity, the only one you should look at is the SPIA. And even then, I would caution you to be very skeptical.

All the forum members have provided valuable advice, hope you follow them.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #19

If you ever watch the Suze Orman show, from time to time someone calls in to say they bought a variable annuity and want to know what to do with it. The first thing Suze always asks is how much did you invest and what could you cash it in for now? Inevitably, the cash value always seems to be about half the investment value, even if the owner has held the investment for 5-10 years. That in itself demonstrates what a bad value they are.

But think about it from another perspective. How much commission do they pay sales people to sell bank CD's or low cost index funds? Zero, because the products just make common sense and sell for themselves.

The next time you hear from the annuity salesperson, ask him how much commission he will earn if you buy an annuity. In my experience, the higher the commission a sales person earns, the more difficult the product is to sell, likely because it's not a very good product.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #20

Thanks guys - I really don't think the Annuity in this case is for me - I will stay away. I see lot's of folks said I could do better myself. Are there any training tools on this site or others that i could read to get more up to speed on investing?