Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Right now you're demonstrating why people come to this board to discuss those subjects instead of going to a financial advisor.
Andy H
You answered REWahoo's question like a politician - you focused on one word - the word "Optimal"; gave reasons why you wouldn't answer and then turned to your talking points.

Choose the assumptions you would like - state them - and answer his question.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Andy,
Just curious, when you work with parents of college bound kids, do you just give advice on where to put the savings (529, UTM, etc.), or do you also address how colleges assess and distribute financial aid (EFC, FAFSA, Profile, impacts of outside scholarships, etc.)? My daughter is heading off to college this fall and I was amazed at how little most parents knew about that part of the college application process. With most privates running between 40-50k/yr, I think financial aspects are equally important as college admissions. Also, the amount of student debt is rising at a scary pace, particulary since most 18 year olds don't understand the implications of that kind of debt burden on their future.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

GS - financial aid eligibility is in fact an initial focus of my work. Parents can and do "throw away" thousands of dollars without knowing the rules. Best of luck to your daughter AND on your "around the corner" RE!
Andy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Hi Andy ,
Announcing your a Financial advisor around here is akin to going to a singles dance with a sign that says I have herpes .
Anyway welcome !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Hi Andy ,
Announcing your a Financial advisor around here is akin to going to a singles dance with a sign that says I have herpes .
Anyway welcome !
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Andy H is either a troll or the product of a financially focused random word generator.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Andy,

I am truly interested in your point of view from the financial investor's side. However, please be to-the-point with the answers you give. State your assumptions used at arriving at your answers. It is simple to state "it depends". Every decision in life in based on "it depends". We need to make some assumptions on the best information we have, and make a decision.

I have never been in favor of answers to straight forward questions that were created at the Arthur Murray School of Dance.

Being from the "other side of the tracks", you have the ability to offer some insight for some of us amateurs- if you are straight with us.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Andy,

... It is simple to state "it depends". Every decision in life in based on "it depends". We need to make some assumptions on the best information we have, and make a decision...
I believe he acting in accordance with his profession. All answers will be hedged with a "depends". There are no simple or concrete answers, only directional or generalities since it involves risk that in part incorporates human behavior (markets). These hedging statements are common.

I would be more suspicious if Andy said something like Buy Heating Oil Futures today. The market is getting ready to pop. OR, I can double your returns if you let me manage you money .

The risk and uncertainty is what makes the topic so difficult for all of us.

Andy - you have to watch it. Once a few take a run at you the rest are going to smell the blood in the water and it could break down into a feeding frenzy.

Hang in there and just bear with the friendly chiding. We are not a bad lot. Just suspicious of the motives of insurance agents and financial planners. Once you get through the hazing people will accept you... as long as your post aren't laced with sales pitches.

Several folks here are highly educated and have refined their knowledge over 20 - 25 years. While they may not have the breadth of knowledge on the subject that you do in general. They are probably as knowledgeable or more so in certain areas.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Several folks here are highly educated and have refined their knowledge over 20 - 25 years. While they may not have the breadth of knowledge on the subject that you do in general. They are probably as knowledgeable or more so in certain areas.
A financial planner is to a successful investor as a used car salesman is to a professional race car driver.

An FP must be a salesman first and foremost. A sales mentality is death to making successful value judgments about investments.

Ha
Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #50

Quote:
I believe he acting in accordance with his profession. All answers will be hedged with a "depends". There are no simple or concrete answers, only directional or generalities since it involves risk that in part incorporates human behavior (markets). These hedging statements are common.

I would be more suspicious if Andy said something like Buy Heating Oil Futures today. The market is getting ready to pop. OR, I can double your returns if you let me manage you money .

The risk and uncertainty is what makes the topic so difficult for all of us.

Chinaco,

I realize "it all depends". Every decesion we make in life "all depends".

What I am asking of Andy H is that he state his assumptions and qualifiers and what his decision/s are based on those assumptions and qualifiers.

I also would be very suspicious of any pat answer wihout the foundation on how it was arrived. But I am also suspicious of politicians who speak a lot of words but say nothing.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Chinaco,

I realize "it all depends". Every decesion we make in life "all depends".

What I am asking of Andy H is that he state his assumptions and qualifiers and what his decision/s are based on those assumptions and qualifiers.

I also would be very suspicious of any pat answer wihout the foundation on how it was arrived. But I am also suspicious of politicians who speak a lot of words but say nothing.
I know. No Offense intended.

Andy was getting a little worked over by some of us... a little too bold too quick just because of his profession. For some reason we tend to shift into challenge mode when a pro enters the ranks. A lot of posturing. Heck we will run the poor guy off... and he hasn't even made it out of the "Hi I Am" Introduction forum.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know. No Offense intended.

Andy was getting a little worked over by some of us... a little too bold too quick just because of his profession. For some reason we tend to shift into challenge mode when a pro enters the ranks. A lot of posturing. Heck we will run the poor guy off... and he hasn't even made it out of the "Hi I Am" Introduction forum.
I don't think it is that. I think, if he is real, that he didn't really say anything and when asked something, didn't say anything again.

Most of the people on this board are very respectful of others input, but you have to put something in.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Most of the people on this board are very respectful of others input,
I agree with your second statement up to the comma.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with your second statement up to the comma.
You don't have to put something in :confused:
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #55

Well to be fair, Andy does have a point about life insurance. It can enable tax-free withdrawals when done correctly.

So, my show me mentality wonders if the increased fees of insurance investments don't take away all of the benefit (and more) of the tax break. I can see how a financial planner would like something like this. But I would really like to see a formal analysis showing the cost-benefit trade off. If the insurance/agent is going to suck up a couple of percentage points of my gain every year I would find it really hard to believe that there is any real benefit to insurance as opposed to other investments.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Barnyard analogy
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Barnyard analogy

Andy: You are like a slop salesman on a hog farm. Everyone is interested in you. So this little piggy has a question: How do you feel about using eft's as a way to invest? I'm particularly concerning about the proliferation of eft products based on narrow indices.
gozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
error
Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

error

I mean etf's (electronically traded funds)
gozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzie View Post
Andy: You are like a slop salesman on a hog farm. Everyone is interested in you.
Looks like we all scared off another one...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep. Some people are sooo sensitive...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #60
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here's where Andy H lets you know he's not "sooo sensitive...". Some brilliant posts thusfar and it's been a hoot watching most of you "posture". I think my role here will be entertainment from this point forward until the rare post offering some insight occurs.

For those of you instantly devaluing anything I might offer and opting for the "mine's bigger" approach, best of luck to you. You know you can also buy nearly every ingredient for any prescriptions you're taking during your retirement years...right off the internet and mix your own drugs. You'll probably wind up saving a ship full of money...or you could kill yourself.

I'm sure you'll have fun with this one as I tune out, watch, and laugh...

Don't be so angry, you'll enjoy life much more - with or without money!
Andy H is offline   Reply With Quote