little fish..big pond.

Nomo-aloha,

Sorry about your back issues. I have had my share and then some. I have degerative disc disease and have had back surgery 4 times already with more to come in the future. Pain is a @itch to deal with every day. My wife had disk surgery two years ago and has started going to a pain management clinic. It has helped her a lot and they have many options besides drugs to deal with long term pain issues. I would highly suggest you see someone about your back pain issues. There may be several non-surgical options for you that would allow your quality of life to inprove a lot.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled program.

I think you could start a new thread or send a private message to t-al and dory36. If you start a thread, you may get other people with experience to comment.

SteveR said:
Nomo-aloha,

Sorry about your back issues.  I have had my share and then some.  I have degerative disc disease and have had back surgery 4 times already with more to come in the future.  Pain is a @itch to deal with every day.  My wife had disk surgery two years ago and has started going to a pain management clinic.  It has helped her a lot and they have many options besides drugs to deal with long term pain issues.  I would highly suggest you see someone about your back pain issues.  There may be several non-surgical options for you that would allow your quality of life to inprove a lot. 

I now return you to the regularly scheduled program.

OMG...4 surgeries and more on the horizon?? I'm very sorry. Have you researched lazer surgery? It may be too late for you (and I ) because of scar tissue, but your wife may be an excellent candidate. There is a doctor in San Diego, Rich Richley, that is world famous for this technique. I had great success with him but...then I messed up again.

You're so right. The pain can be rediculous and I prefer not to medicate...the drugs just seem to add to a growing list of problems. I really wish you the best and your wife as well. If she has sciatica, I would not even consider anything other than the lazer...it's quick and easier than a root canal. I'm not kidding. The surgery is of little use if she does not have the leg pain. Best wishes again.

Brewer, Thanks once again for your input. I will wait awhile and start a thread about selling the company. I was thinking about this last nite. There must be several people in here that have done so. I want to get some opinions, contact SCORE and amke my move. In the meantime....I guess i'd better get to the jobsites while not in any real pain.

Have a great day people!

No-mo',

A belated aloha & e komo mai. 

First, math ability hasn't stopped any of us posters from asserting our opinions.  In fact there's darn little that will impede most of us from expressing our thoughts.  You've learned all the math you need to survive and anything after this is just entertainment, right?

Second, you wouldn't have gotten as far as you have if you didn't have the ability to work hard and to teach yourself things.  While you may lack a diploma, you've apparently completed several advanced degrees at the School of Experience.  You've certainly paid the tuition and have nothing to worry about on the education front.  Beats the heck outta studying for the GED, too.

Third, I agree with you that selling the land won't take long.  If that's what you decide to do then it'll probably happen within the month.

Fourth, I don't have the answers to your problems but I know some people who may know some other people, and so on.  I'm going to assume that you're on Oahu or else don't mind racking up a few phone calls.*  Maybe you already know some of these people from their businesses.

On the legal side, have you talked to Sterling & Tucker?  I've seen Michelle at several presentations, she's a straight shooter, and she's willing to provide referrals.  Of course she can help with any family/estate issues.  Their experience with trusts & family law mean that she also knows a lot of good accountants & tax attorneys.

Another option might be David Larsen at Cades, Schutte.  He also knows quite a bit about family & company law and he's in a great position to give referrals.

I don't know much about local financial planners and I haven't been impressed with the ones I do know.  However I respect & admire George Stott, who uses a Mainland firm to assuage all his financial-management worries-- for a suitable fee.  (Of course the fact that he's a retired submariner like me has no bearing on my objectivity.)  George & family would also be happy to make your acquaintance if you decide to sell that land. 

One planner I've seen around Manoa is Harry Kasanow.  I know he looks like a used-car salesman but his specialty is bringing order out of chaos.  He tends to be of the "I'm not here to teach you asset allocation, just do as I say" attitude so I never pursued a financial relationship, but he has helped many recover from indebtedness and get back on the tracks.

Finally, I've learned a lot of physical therapy from Dr. Cesar Fajardo at Mililani Physical Therapy (623-6244).  I'm not suggesting that you should have yourself hauled up there, but he would take a personal interest in your back.  He's good-- I watched him work with a dozen banged-up people and he cares a lot.  If you can't make it to his place he'd probably be able to recommend a colleague.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what works & what doesn't...

*Edited after reading the rest of your posts.

Computers - learn what you need to accomplish your goals. I don't know what you want to do in life (work somewhere else? design web pages? work in an office/professional setting?). You've got $910,000 in net worth right now between real estate, investments and cash in the bank. Sounds like the low end of the business valuation is 1/3 gross annual revenue - $250,000 or so? So you're looking at $1,100,000+ for your total net worth if you can liquidate your business for a reasonable amount. Using the 4% rule, that will give you $44,000/yr to spend as you want, forever.

Could you live on that amount of money? In Panama? In Thailand? I know we have at least a couple of people on the forum (Ben, Lancelot) that live in Thailand for about $1000/month. They seem to have a pretty nice lifestyle there.

Maybe retiring early is right for you. Is that something you want to do? Do you want or need to continue working and earning more money to support your expenses.

I don't mean to talk down to you, and you probably already know this, but from a budgetary standpoint, you have to earn enough each year (from investments/withdrawals and/or working) to pay for all your expenses each year. If you have a high expense lifestyle and $44000 per year won't cover it, then you'll need to supplement your income somehow. If you really don't want to work, then you'll need to reduce expenses to $44000/yr.

That said, remember that you are in a great position relative to many other people given your net worth.

It's your money and your life, what you make of it is up to you.

Nords said:
No-mo',

A belated aloha & e komo mai. 

A big mahalo to you Nords....you a kamaaina?

First, math ability hasn't stopped any of us posters from asserting our opinions.  In fact there's darn little that will impede most of us from expressing our thoughts.  You've learned all the math you need to survive and anything after this is just entertainment, right?

Second, you wouldn't have gotten as far as you have if you didn't have the ability to work hard and to teach yourself things.  While you may lack a diploma, you've apparently completed several advanced degrees at the School of Experience.  You've certainly paid the tuition and have nothing to worry about on the education front.  Beats the heck outta studying for the GED, too.
---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the support and the sentiment. I have often thought about retuning to school. There was a time when I thought I'd be an attorney and most agree my persona would accomadate such an occupation. I don't know if that is complimentary or not, lol. The problem with returning to school has always been; I either needed to work...or I was making too much to quit. No middle ground.

Third, I agree with you that selling the land won't take long.  If that's what you decide to do then it'll probably happen within the month.

Fourth, I don't have the answers to your problems but I know some people who may know some other people, and so on.  I'm going to assume that you're on Oahu or else don't mind racking up a few phone calls.*  Maybe you already know some of these people from their businesses.

On the legal side, have you talked to Sterling & Tucker?  I've seen Michelle at several presentations, she's a straight shooter, and she's willing to provide referrals.  Of course she can help with any family/estate issues.  Their experience with trusts & family law mean that she also knows a lot of good accountants & tax attorneys.

Another option might be David Larsen at Cades, Schutte.  He also knows quite a bit about family & company law and he's in a great position to give referrals.

I don't know much about local financial planners and I haven't been impressed with the ones I do know.  However I respect & admire George Stott, who uses a Mainland firm to assuage all his financial-management worries-- for a suitable fee.  (Of course the fact that he's a retired submariner like me has no bearing on my objectivity.)  George & family would also be happy to make your acquaintance if you decide to sell that land. 

One planner I've seen around Manoa is Harry Kasanow.  I know he looks like a used-car salesman but his specialty is bringing order out of chaos.  He tends to be of the "I'm not here to teach you asset allocation, just do as I say" attitude so I never pursued a financial relationship, but he has helped many recover from indebtedness and get back on the tracks.

Thank you very much for these contacts (and your effort!). I will check out their websites and see if anything immediately grabs my attention. I would have done this already but wanted to thank you (all) while I have the chance.

----------------------------------------------------------
Finally, I've learned a lot of physical therapy from Dr. Cesar Fajardo at Mililani Physical Therapy (623-6244).  I'm not suggesting that you should have yourself hauled up there, but he would take a personal interest in your back.  He's good-- I watched him work with a dozen banged-up people and he cares a lot.  If you can't make it to his place he'd probably be able to recommend a colleague.
----------------------------------------------------------
I have had very good success with Phys therapy. It's whats keeping me in the game. I've exhausted every other avenue. I did not want to be one of these people that later said "geez, I should've tried that first". I have tried accupuncture, prolo-therapy (incredible pain with no results) TOO many chiropractors (not right for this injury) and a couple things that I would be embarassed to put into print, lol! I've tried it all and would be happy to share my experiences with anyone that has any questions. Unfortuantely, we back pain sufferers are in a bit of a club. Nobody knows how bad it is without experiencing this. Not long after the intitial injury and subsequent (failed) surgery...my young but capitalistic daughter asked me "Daddy, do you have a million dollars"? Well, I did at the time and I've always tried to be smart but honest with the kids so I replied to her "yes, honey...I suppose WE have a million dollars". She knows I enjoy money and responded "would you give one million dollars for this to have never happened to you...if you could"? I though about it (funny question) and answered truthfully "yes, honey...I would pay one million dollars to erase this incident". It's cost me more than that already.

With absolute clarity she said "I'm sorry daddy, I know how bad it hurts now" and she started crying.
Not the reaction I wanted, but apparently money does talk. It sounds like you have experienced this as well, nords...and I hope for your continued improvement. Thank you once again for this forum, your kind words and the above listed contacts.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what works & what doesn't...

*Edited after reading the rest of your posts.

nomo-aloha said:
A big mahalo to you Nords....you a kamaaina?
Almost 17 years now, so at least I'm not a malahini. We were imported here by the Navy. But I can give you directions to the Pearl City Tavern's monkey bar-- does that make me a kama'aina?

nomo-aloha said:
Thanks for the support and the sentiment. I have often thought about retuning to school. There was a time when I thought I'd be an attorney and most agree my persona would accomadate such an occupation. I don't know if that is complimentary or not, lol. The problem with returning to school has always been; I either needed to work...or I was making too much to quit. No middle ground.
I wouldn't let school stand in the way of getting an education. Besides, with all you've learned on the job, you wouldn't have much patience for an academic who didn't have similar experience. I can learn whatever I want to know from the Internet or other resources, and I don't have the patience to sit in a classroom or do assignments.

nomo-aloha said:
I have had very good success with Phys therapy. It's whats keeping me in the game. I've exhausted every other avenue. I did not want to be one of these people that later said "geez, I should've tried that first". I have tried accupuncture, prolo-therapy (incredible pain with no results) TOO many chiropractors (not right for this injury) and a couple things that I would be embarassed to put into print, lol! I've tried it all and would be happy to share my experiences with anyone that has any questions. Unfortuantely, we back pain sufferers are in a bit of a club. Nobody knows how bad it is without experiencing this. Not long after the intitial injury and subsequent (failed) surgery...my young but capitalistic daughter asked me "Daddy, do you have a million dollars"? Well, I did at the time and I've always tried to be smart but honest with the kids so I replied to her "yes, honey...I suppose WE have a million dollars". She knows I enjoy money and responded "would you give one million dollars for this to have never happened to you...if you could"? I though about it (funny question) and answered truthfully "yes, honey...I would pay one million dollars to erase this incident". It's cost me more than that already.

With absolute clarity she said "I'm sorry daddy, I know how bad it hurts now" and she started crying.

Not the reaction I wanted, but apparently money does talk. It sounds like you have experienced this as well, nords...and I hope for your continued improvement.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Another big help has been Jolie Bookspan but she's not necessarily for everybody. I'm at least 75% healed but my recovery would proceed faster if I gave up tae kwon do. However I'm patient and much more careful than I used to be.

nomo-aloha said:
Thank you once again for this forum, your kind words and the above listed contacts.
Let us know how things work out...

justin said:
Computers - learn what you need to accomplish your goals.  I don't know what you want to do in life (work somewhere else?  design web pages?  work in an office/professional setting?)
----------------------------------------

Hi Justin. I have never really worked at home but feel that ma be an inevitable conclusion. Working in an office setting...or for someone else, would more than likely not be an option because of my back.
There is nothing worse than sitting.

I would love to learn how to do web pages and the likes. I do have an artistic side and think that would be fun and rewarding...I just don't know how to get started, how long it takes to get down and how much competition is vying for this work. Any thoughts on this?
--------------------------------------

You've got $910,000 in net worth right now between real estate, investments and cash in the bank.  Sounds like the low end of the business valuation is 1/3 gross annual revenue - $250,000 or so?  So you're looking at $1,100,000+ for your total net worth if you can liquidate your business for a reasonable amount.  Using the 4% rule, that will give you $44,000/yr to spend as you want, forever. 
------------------------------------------
That's what I was told. That just seems so low to me. $250,000 for a business that is capable of netting at least twice that amount per annum:confused: I need to do more research. It is a relatively new product in Hawaii with HUGE potential. My friend in Seattle does the same thing and nets 4 million per year.In all of these islands...I have one competitor. Seattle has an industrial sector that we do not have, so I don't expect that sort of revenue here...but possibly half. The killer is, I've spent tons on promotion and the doors are only now starting to really open. This is no time for me to be getting out....but I may have no choice. If a stranger asked me what I thought my biz was worth...I'd say $1,000,000 minimum. This "1/3 of yearly gross" is...well, gross. I have more than that in brand new (custom) equipment.
------------------------------------
Could you live on that amount of money?  In Panama?  In Thailand?  I know we have at least a couple of people on the forum (Ben, Lancelot) that live in Thailand for about $1000/month.  They seem to have a pretty nice lifestyle there. 

Maybe retiring early is right for you.  Is that something you want to do?  Do you want or need to continue working and earning more money to support your expenses. 
--------------------------------------
I have several friends that live in the Kingdom as well as Cambodia and Viet nam. I think Cambodia is a bit too rustic and I don't like the stigma of "sex-tourist" that goes with the territory. Thailand suffers this a bit as well, but not as bad. I have been there no less than 20 times and love it. However, my friends live in Phuket, which is a hotter Hawaii. They live decent...not extravagant lifestyles on $4,000-$5,000 per month. Not as cheap as one would think.

With this in mind...I would consider Panama first. Only because it is closer to the US (which I will miss) and more importantly my kids who live in the SW.
Panama is also more stable. I would never buy anything in Thailand. Thai rak Thai and all that. They are a wonderful people but have no concept of tomorrow or the repurcussions that could come on that day. If Thaksin says "all farang go home" ..that's what will happen. Vietnam is worse, IMO.
That said: I will go where I have to. I never use to believe back pain was intensified by stress. I'm a believer now.

---------------------------------------
I don't mean to talk down to you, and you probably already know this, but from a budgetary standpoint, you have to earn enough each year (from investments/withdrawals and/or working) to pay for all your expenses each year.  If you have a high expense lifestyle and $44000 per year won't cover it, then you'll need to supplement your income somehow.  If you really don't want to work, then you'll need to reduce expenses to $44000/yr.

That said, remember that you are in a great position relative to many other people given your net worth.

It's your money and your life, what you make of it is up to you.
---------------------------------

Gotcha bro....and don't worry about mincing words. I have not had almost zero communication in regards to this subject. Even to my closest friends..I am putting on a 'brave front'. One thing I cannot have happen is for people (here) to find out that I am thinking about selling out. It would be disastrous.

I have definately lived a lavish lifestyle. I do not apologise for this because I had no real desire to retire early....at least not until I was like 55 when my son could take over after college. I was saving (over 1million) and thought my best years were ahead of me where I would put another 3 or 4 in the bank prior to retirement. $4400 per month will be a definate adjustment.

However...I have been much worse off than that. I grew up a white boy in the projects. I know about survival and also understand I am in much better shape than many. On one hand, I am proud to say I that have worked very hard for everything I have...On the other hand, What do I do now that I cannot work hard?? I feel blessed despite these recent set-backs. I do know that I need to act quickly. It cost's me around $20,000 per month to stay in business. My 300 will go fast! Thanks again for the questions and advice. Please do not pull any punches or mince any words. I have thick skin and I am protected by anonymity as well, lol.

Nords said:
Almost 17 years now, so at least I'm not a malahini.  We were imported here by the Navy.  But I can give you directions to the Pearl City Tavern's monkey bar-- does that make me a kama'aina?
I wouldn't let school stand in the way of getting an education.  Besides, with all you've learned on the job, you wouldn't have much patience for an academic who didn't have similar experience.  I can learn whatever I want to know from the Internet or other resources, and I don't have the patience to sit in a classroom or do assignments.
Sounds like you're on the right track.  Another big help has been Jolie Bookspan but she's not necessarily for everybody.  I'm at least 75% healed but my recovery would proceed faster if I gave up tae kwon do.  However I'm patient and much more careful than I used to be.
Let us know how things work out...

Malahini? Geeez, Nords...you're a local! Is this monkey bar something I need to inspect? ;)

The pre-stretching with Tae kwon do must help as well, no? I was actually about to make some movies in Manilla when this accident occurred! I boxed for a long time and then got into Kenpo, yen ching tao and later Lima Lama. Ever hear of Tino Tuilesega? He invented Lima Lama but also starred in some old Hawaii show...something "7"..I forget now. It was a series (that I never saw) and he was like a legend around here, Samoa and Santa Cruz.

The first words I heard after surgery (kaiser permanente...1st mistake) was "no more weights, no more golf, no more Lima Lama (MA)". I was like...""What the hell do people do"? Whatever. One hurdle at a time. You're retired from Pearl harbor, then?

nomo-aloha said:
Malahini? Geeez, Nords...you're a local! Is this monkey bar something I need to inspect? ;)
Yeah, I wish. It closed several years ago and it's a car dealer's lot now. The joke was that a kama'aina can give you directions to places that went out of business years ago.

When we first arrived here, I remember shipmates were quite concerned to learn that we were living in Waipahu "ewa of the Monkey Bar". But that was when Kam Hwy to Waipio Gentry was only two lanes through through cane fields, too.

nomo-aloha said:
The pre-stretching with Tae kwon do must help as well, no? I was actually about to make some movies in Manilla when this accident occurred! I boxed for a long time and then got into Kenpo, yen ching tao and later Lima Lama. Ever hear of Tino Tuilesega? He invented Lima Lama but also starred in some old Hawaii show...something "7"..I forget now. It was a series (that I never saw) and he was like a legend around here, Samoa and Santa Cruz.
I've heard Tino's name but I haven't kept up with the different martial arts. I boxed a little in college but tae kwon do is much better.

nomo-aloha said:
You're retired from Pearl harbor, then?
Submarines! My last shore duty was the branch of the submarine training command on Ford Island, and I started before they'd even finished the causeway. Many changes since then...

Submarines!  My last shore duty was the branch of the submarine training command on Ford Island, and I started before they'd even finished the causeway.  Many changes since then...

Wow...you operate Subs, nords??

That takes a special brand of individual, I would think. I don't think I could handle it for longer than the Atlantis ride off of Waikiki, lol...I even got a bit claustrophobic on that!

This is sure a great forum. I just finished reading pretty much every thread in FIRE and LIFE. Went back to '03! I'm gonna' continue with FIRE and money now. Thanks again.

We all live in a Yellow Submarine...

Ringo (with Paul whispering the words into his ear...)

nomo aloha-
Sorry to hear about your situation. You seem to have overcome many adversities, and I want to support you to continue to overcome this one was well. I have just started my 'real life' and dream about running the business that you have brought back to life. You mentioned that you made it better than it ever was. Im sure this involved lots of risk, creativity, and pure hard work. Thats what makes it and you survive.

What I have found is that you need to search and find out what you really enjoy and what makes you really tick. All the other stuff is extra. From this you will find that *usually* it doesnt take much. You will find that you may not need to expend that much monthly and will be able to live on that $4400/month.

Have you ever heard of ART ? Active Release Therapy? I have never used it. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but it may be able to help alleviate somewhat? Alot of members on a sports training forum say it helpd, some say it didnt.

Now with regards to the business, I love to tackle challenges, and love business, so I advise to see if you are able to keep the business running longer. You mentioned how much you feel the business is worth and how it can grow. But YOU are the backbone of the company. You have that vision and you have that dream. A successful business in the wrong hands may not be as successful.

With all that experience and expertise, you are a great asset to any business, especially in your industry. Have you ever thought about consulting? One option may be to sell your company, but sell your consultation services with it. That way you are still a senior consultant to help run the company, but the everyday stuff is lead/performed by another person. You would then offer your services 'part time' and allow yourself to recoup, recover, and think. If I had the money, experience, and was in Hawaii, I would love to be working with you on this business, but my time for business is yet to come. I digress, but your knowledge and experience is still valuable. I don't see it that you need to just throw everything away, and run away with your earnings thus far.

Though, you may have already decided that you no longer want to be involved. And that may be the right choice for you. I just wanted to put out some other opinions. Good luck and keep us all updated.

I want to read about the success story that follows many months from now.

Wow vvsonikvv, I don't know what to say. Your words of encouragement are not lost on me...I really understand and respect your views.

You really struck a chord (or 10) with your post. Have we met, lol? I don't know what business you are a bout to embark upon, but I would like to own stock in it. Just from your single post, it is apparent you will be a great leader.
I wish you complete happiness.

Today I am going to proceed as though I am going to stay in business indefinately. Seems like it's going to be "a good back day", so I am going to get out and rustle up some work for my crew. Thanks once again. I can see a lot of thought and care went into your post and I am grateful. I will refer to it often when in need of motivation.

Aloha.

nomo-aloha,

Great to hear you are encouraged and motivated. Sorry for not replying earlier as I have been very busy.

Please update us on your continued journey. Has your back been treating you better? How is the work at your company? And thank you for your words of encouragement. I do envision myself to be a great leader in a business.

thank you for your kind words.

nomo-aloha said:
Good morning guys.

I do definately want to off the business. My back is messed up but my mind is too. My customers and remaining employees deserve better....some have been with me since the start (15+ years).

Admit your short comings to the people you can trust, there are some left. First your education isn't hopeless by any means. You write well and know how to run a business, take back your pride, it that requires getting a GED and a college education you can do it but it doesn't, you went to the school of hard knocks already. Study what you feel is important to you take some community college classes in software, you don't need to know much about computers themselves.
Take back control of your company even if people need to help with the labor you can't do. You are the brains of the outfit and have lots of equipment not making you money.
Lean on those 15 year employees that you respect the most, ask them for a hand. If you decide to sell the company you will get more for it if it is active and has great employees. When you are ready maybe you can sell to the employees as a team, incorporate and sell off a few shares or become a partnership between you and your best employees.
You are too young to give up and walk away licking your wounds. Get back on top and walk away like a proud lion on your own terms.
Face your children if not now when they are over 18. Tell them you aren't proud of what happened and try not to keep major secrets from them. They probably know about the gambling. Invite them for the summer and ask them to teach you computers, get them back in your life.

Back
Top Bottom