Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Living like a king on pennies
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
If a 40 year old age difference is acceptable as Doug seems to rationalize think, I would guess newborn infants...or maybe sperm that has been aged??
You appear to have severe emotional problems in this area. What an ignorant and insulting post!

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
You appear to have severe emotional problems in this area. What an ignorant and insulting post!

Ha
Maybe you should invest in a mirror?
Emotional issues? Nah, I just think it is disgusting and selfish beyond the pale for some dried up old fart to steal the life of a young girl who is too immature to know what she is doing. That 21 year old girl should be with someone her own age (or at least close to it), not her freakin' grandfather. He deserves to be criticized!. He ought to be ashamed of himself. Well, at least he'll have nurse when his bowels health fails.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Ha
Ha: You're absolutely right. Not since Azanon left this board, have I read any posts that are consistently as self-centered and selfish as Alex.

(I should know after the time I've spent on this board to ignore a poster like him). So, my fault, I guess.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #64

If no one answered his questions, replied to his messages; If everyone ignored his stupid comments, may be he'll go away? Or may be not, some people truly have thick skin.

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, I am talking about Alex.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I know that the age difference seem to get many people upset but this is a belief of the location you live. Some one asked who do the 21year old men marry. Here they probably been married about 6 times by the time there 20 and all the wives are looking for money for milk and clothing for the children. This is probably why they think different here.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Not since Azanon left this board, have I read any posts that are consistently as self-centered and selfish as Alex.
Oh, he's not THAT bad! Plus, he's got a good signature line.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #67

d0ug, how do you get on the internet? Telephone, satellite, cable?

Earlier you said you paid $120/month to the gardener. Sounds like it's a very big garden. Do you also provide him/her room & board on top of the salary?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just think it is disgusting and selfish beyond the pale for some dried up old fart to steal the life of a young girl who is too immature to know what she is doing. That 21 year old girl should be with someone her own age (or at least close to it), not her freakin' grandfather. He deserves to be criticized!. He ought to be ashamed of himself. Well, at least he'll have nurse when his bowels health fails.
I have never liked dating women who are much younger than me because their life experiences are too different. I just wouldn't be comfortable spending all my time with them. That said, if it works for them, what is it to you Alex? How does this "rob" the life of 21 Y/O? For all you know she might otherwise live in a shack with a jerk who would dump her when the baby starts crying - or worse, beat her. The OP says younger women look for older men for reliability. If the old fart has a nice portfolio and a 4% SWR he will leave the youngster set for life when she is in her 40s. Not a bad deal. By then the 20 Y/O jerk she passed by may have matured and can hook back up with her.

There is a point where this constitutes abuse - certainly this applies when parents sell underage girls to older men (or anyone for that matter). It also applies to anyone taped on NBC. But when a girl is 21 and freely chooses it - that ain't abuse.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
For all you know she might otherwise live in a shack with a jerk who would dump her when the baby starts crying - or worse, beat her. The OP says younger women look for older men for reliability.
There is a great Cuban indie movie named La Tropical, which is also the name of a very popular open air dancehall. One of the subplots involves a young macho whose wife is in hospital struggling with a complicated delivery while her macho is at La Tropical lining up some action for the night. The wife loses the baby and is heartbroken and obviously not quite comforted by her husbandís behavior.

Another story along the same lines involves a older woman who taught my wife oil painting many years ago. She was an old widow at the time, and she always advised her students to marry an older man. Why? She said they will appreciate what they are getting. They won't ogle some other young woman who might have a better figure or a prettier face. And they will not be stingy.

In her youth this woman lived in a village on the North German plain. Her young husband hitched her to a plow.

Somehow she escaped to Las Vegas where she met her "older man", who was loving and understanding to her ever after. They lived a long time together, and she never remarried after he died.

Ha
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #70

Beauty and the beast geezer !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t_Old_Man_&_Woman.jpg (35.1 KB, 136 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb t_Old_Man_&_Woman.jpg_thumb (33.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
whatever.... I think he is a selfish, heartless Pr*ck. 21 year old girls should never marry old men.
You feel the same about Larry King? He seemed to be well respected. How old are those children again 6 & 7?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Sam I hope this answers your questions
I get on the Internet via cell phone because there is no telephone service here in the countryside they got cable TV here last year but it only works when there is electricity. I have satellite TV. I pay my gardener $120 which is more than the policeman or school caretaker. He looks after near 2 acres. The average laborer gets $10 per day.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
There is a point where this constitutes abuse - certainly this applies when parents sell underage girls to older men (or anyone for that matter). It also applies to anyone taped on NBC. But when a girl is 21 and freely chooses it - that ain't abuse.
Yes, this isn't much different than the gay issue. Love between two consenting adults is an individual thing and should be up to the two people involved to decide if it's right or not.

My Dad was 47 when he married my Mom, she was 30 (first time marriages). My Dad was 50 when I was born. My Mom took a real chance having two kids with an older guy. My Pop lived till he was 96. They had a wonderful marriage filled with a lot of love and laughter.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

dOug,
Best wishes that your 100th birthday finds you happy, healthy, and still blissfully ignoring the critics.
AJ
Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
they got cable TV here last year but it only works when there is electricity.
So, what do you do for entertainment when electricity is out? Oops, never mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
I pay my gardener $120 which is more than the policeman or school caretaker. He looks after near 2 acres. The average laborer gets $10 per day.
So a laborer makes more than a policeman?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting thread, but I can't help but notice how the title of this thread might not ring true for many here.

I'm glad it is working out for the OP, but no reliable electricity, questionable police force, gotta save tanks of rain water because the public water is not always available, lack of good roads, etc. is a lifestyle choice that may work for some in order to make your dollar go very far, but it's not exactly what comes to mind from "living like a king."

I guess if that's your choice, your money really would go pretty far, though. Wouldn't presume to pass judgment on the lifestyle choice, but I do find the simile a bit ironic. I was thinking more the FIRE type in Mexico in an oceanfront villa, hot and cold running maids, tequila deliveries daily for $1k per month, the works.

Good for you dOug - hope it continues to work for you. By the way, what would you do if you develop a sudden serious illness, need major surgery, or enounger severe trauma? Is the health care available and good?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #77

Quote:
whatever.... I think he is a selfish, heartless Pr*ck. 21 year old girls should never marry old men.

Now there is a mean spirited post. I take exception to this because the same type of vitriol has been hurled at my husband and myself. In our case it is not an age difference but a race difference that some people object to. How do we handle it? By not making it our problem and enjoying our life. Fortunately we run into this foolishness less and less.

You know we all need to stay out of each other's bedrooms and concentrate on our own business. If your of age( and a 21 year old is) then butt out.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal

Now there is a mean spirited post. I take exception to this because the same type of vitriol has been hurled at my husband and myself. In our case it is not an age difference but a race difference that some people object to. How do we handle it? By not making it our problem and enjoying our life.
Good for you! We should all concentrate more on enjoying ourselves and taking care of those we care about, and less on making others go about life in the way that we may prefer. Doing this might make us all happier and less stressed.

Ha
Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Good for you! We should all concentrate more on enjoying ourselves and taking care of those we care about, and less on making others go about life in the way that we may prefer. Doing this might make us all happier and less stressed.

Ha
I think some people are only happy when they are adding stress to other people's lives.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I'm glad it is working out for the OP, but no reliable electricity, questionable police force, gotta save tanks of rain water because the public water is not always available, lack of good roads, etc. is a lifestyle choice that may work for some in order to make your dollar go very far, but it's not exactly what comes to mind from "living like a king."
I started thinking about this too. Like a king of a poor African country or something! But, I'm sure the beautiful scenery makes up for it.